Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December Discussion

NorEastermass128

10 hours ago, Snow88 said:

Isotherm 

Well, as the proverbial body count on the abyss floor seems to be increasing by the day, I continue to watch as models adjust to the discussed forcing mechanisms in the medium range. The NAO domain signal continues to improve, while concurrently, geopotential heights correct more positive (i.e., less severe troughing) in W North America w/ every new cycle. However, rather than recognize these important medium range corrections which indicate longer range inaccuracies, some choose to focus on the unstable and evolving LR. Even still, the LR model changes are now being detected as the jet retraction relaxes, and more upstream ridging resumes in a mere few days following the zonal/gradient look for 24th-27th. Nothing has changed from my stand-point. Transitional period 21/22nd, sufficiently cold thereafter for potential threat. Periods such as this are quite revealing as to who bases their thought processes principally on model regurgitation, and who does not.

Yea, I have never understood the waivering because of a coulple of failed December chances in an el nino. Full steam ahead.

2 hours ago, SnoSki14 said:

What do you make of raindancewx's analysis, he's basically comparing this year to 97/98 and shows everyone torching in January. 

He's been consistently abysmal....which is forgivable, however its the complete lack of inisight into the fact that the logic is so tragically flawed that is not.

11 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Yea, I have never understood the waivering because of a coulple of failed December chances in an el nino. Full steam ahead.

Bro.....it’s fine....don’t acknowledge that December is done....smoking cirrus must be your friend....smoking something.....anyway....sping is like 6 weeks away and here we are.....wasting precious December...what a joke....did I say my official rant is still coming?

15 minutes ago, ice1972 said:

Bro.....it’s fine....don’t acknowledge that December is done....smoking cirrus must be your friend....smoking something.....anyway....sping is like 6 weeks away and here we are.....wasting precious December...what a joke....did I say my official rant is still coming?

Spring 6 weeks away?? WTF? 

14 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

Put it this way, I don’t think one person had an overall +AO and a SE ridge nina circulation in the last third of December. That did show up in guidance and yes you have to look at models for that. You adjust. However I think the longer term still stands. Hope I’m not wrong. 

A strong second half of winter is what we had been talking about previously.  But as an aside, it's good to be wrong sometimes.  Even the best LR forecasters are wrong plenty and what makes them the best is that they learn from it.

6 hours ago, weathafella said:

How can anyone compare the enso conditions...seriously.

Hes comparing this to a super el nino lol?  And 97-98 was an aberration even for a super el nino- the two others we had, 82-83 and 15-16, both had blockbuster snow storms.  A 1997-98 type winter may never happen again

5 hours ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

In 1977-78 we had less than one inch of snowfall down here going into January.  Between January, February and even March we ended up with a total of close to 60 inches down here for the season.  Including two blizzards, one of which was an all-time great.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

Hes comparing this to a super el nino lol?  And 97-98 was an aberration even for a super el nino- the two others we had, 82-83 and 15-16, both had blockbuster snow storms.  A 1997-98 type winter may never happen again

We had a blockbuster in New England. ;) (12/23/97)

• Like 1

17 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

I agree overall with Tip. I think his point has merit. It’s also why the CPC changed some of the former ENSO years with the new SST climo. However, that is misleading because it’s quite possible that a cooler overall Earth acted as we think it should when anomalies are presented. So what was a moderate niño back then, is now weak....however it probably acted like a moderate niño. So to look back and say so and so year was a weak niño is not really fair imo. 

Anyways what is happening now is totally inteaseaosnal. Mjo is destructively interfering. I have to think that changes in January?

Possibly, but as the background state changes, shouldn't what's considered a weak vs moderate vs strong ENSO remain the same vs the background, since ENSO strength is measured relative to the current background state?

41 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

Possibly, but as the background state changes, shouldn't what's considered a weak vs moderate vs strong ENSO remain the same vs the background, since ENSO strength is measured relative to the current background state?

Well if we keep everything the same, then the anomalies aren’t going to tell the story. The same ocean temp anomalies from 50 years ago likely won’t have the same effect on the current atmosphere. 

• Like 1

Just now, CoastalWx said:

Well if we keep everything the same, then the anomalies aren’t going to tell the story. The same ocean temp anomalies from 50 years ago likely won’t have the same effect on the current atmosphere. 

So can a weak nino be neutral?  I think that’s what you and tip are implying?

9 minutes ago, weathafella said:

So can a weak nino be neutral?  I think that’s what you and tip are implying?

I’m just sort of talking out loud here, but sure it’s possible it could act like one. However I don’t think we are seeing that here. I think enough anomalies exist to have an effect. It’s just been temporarily interfered with by the MJO.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, moneypitmike said:

Looks like folks will have the opportunity to get out and do yard-work, do some lawn clean up between now and new years.  Christmas traditions of yore??

Enjoy the weather--it's the only weather we've got.

Is there anyone who hasn’t cleaned up?   I think we get half decent snow before midnight on 12/31/18.