Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
December Discussion

NorEastermass128

1 hour ago, Greg said:

What you just described sounds a little more like the Blizzard of 1978.

That may be what it sounds like, but you're wrong.  I had been married for less than 6 months at the time and remember it well.  I'm talking about the so-called 100 hour storm that hit late in February of 1969.  The Boston area received 25-30 inches during that storm, with some suburbs receiving up to 3 feet.  The storm sat off the Cape for about 3 days before drifting away. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 78Blizzard said:

That may be what it sounds like, but you're wrong.  I had been married for less than 6 months at the time and remember it well.  I'm talking about the so-called 100 hour storm that hit late in February of 1969.  The Boston area received 25-30 inches during that storm, with some suburbs receiving up to 3 feet.  The storm sat off the Cape for about 3 days before drifting away. 

I had 3'

1 hour ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Yeah...not sure if Kent issued a bad forecast for 1969, but he had major updating to do for the 1978 storm.  As others have said, Harvey really scored on that one and cemented his place in history.

Don Kent was around long before computers and one not to forecast 100% based on the one computer model available at that time.  He didn’t buy it early on and waited for morning upper air and pressure fall charts to verify. Because of this he waited until late Monday morning, February 6th, to be sure and then went on the air and said the now famous line:”We’ll be measuring the snow in feet, not inches”!!  I was in my car traveling to a client and heard that radio broadcast.  The computer model, surprisingly, happened to be right.

45 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I had 3'

Wilmington got 30". They let the snow settle just like Bedford, MA did which got 33" but had 30" on settled ground. But Reading, MA got the 36" amount you speak  of but started with about 13" on the ground to make it 40" on settled ground total. However, a closer look reveals that the difference between the 40" ground total and 13" prior on the ground = 27 total" So there you go.

1 minute ago, weathafella said:

Thanks Nick!   I was reading in the nyc thread where snoski said all of NOAM is torched.  Not what it shows.

The 850s and 2m are warmer than normal until the day 39 to 46 frame. The gradient look is a bit meager since the ridging in ak/-epo isnt pronounced. The weak -nao as shown could save the pattern without super chilly air in Canada. 

Just now, OSUmetstud said:

The 850s and 2m are warmer than normal until the day 39 to 46 frame. The gradient look is a bit meager since the ridging in ak/-epo isnt pronounced. The weak -nao as shown could save the pattern without super chilly air in Canada. 

It’s by no means a furnace it seems 

58 minutes ago, Greg said:

Wilmington got 30". They let the snow settle just like Bedford, MA did which got 33" but had 30" on settled ground. But Reading, MA got the 36" amount you speak  of but started with about 13" on the ground to make it 40" on settled ground total. However, a closer look reveals that the difference between the 40" ground total and 13" prior on the ground = 27 total" So there you go.

Well, all I can do is go off of the Reading coop since I wasn't born in 1969...

42 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Its a steep thermal gradient resulting from conflicting teleconnections....ie favorable PAC, +NAO, -NAO/RNA....2007-08 is a good example.

Seems you have been programming the weeklies to to a T to fit your seasonal script. :-) But, I hope your transition to cold and snow and KUs comes along as you have in your seasonal forecast. 

I still cant believe the weeklies and something is going to give with the strat warming. The Pipers at the Gates of Dawn will come a calling in mid Jan. I feel when the smoke clears and the teles line up a very favorable pattern will come along and lock in . 

If not blame it on the feeble Nino.   

3 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Well, all I can do is go off of the Reading coop since I wasn't born in 1969...

It's all good Ray. I wasn't born until December 1977 so I wasn't around either. I'm just throwing out weather stats and junk. But at least we both know that we live in an area than can get some really good  synoptic area snowstorms. That I love.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Greg said:

It's all good Ray. I wasn't born until December 1977 so I wasn't around either. I'm just throwing out weather stats and junk. But at least we both know that we live in an area than can get some really good  synoptic area snowstorms. That I love.

What is your source for that Wilmington total, then?

2 minutes ago, frd said:

Seems you have been programming the weeklies to to a T to fit your seasonal script. :-) But, I hope your transition to cold and snow and KUs comes along as you have in your seasonal forecast. 

I still cant believe the weeklies and something is going to give with the strat warming. The Pipers at the Gates of Dawn will come a calling in mid Jan. I feel when the smoke clears and the teles line up a very favorable pattern will come along and lock in . 

If not blame it on the feeble Nino.   

The feeble niño is fine...it will limit your ceiling, but you should do okay...I love it lol

18 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

What is your source for that Wilmington total, then?

Research, newspaper articles, weather records but also DPW reports and interviews from when I did a big weather project from years ago.  I have many facts in my head from those.

• Like 1