Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
December Discussion

NorEastermass128

3 hours ago, OceanStWx said:

I still shake my head when I think about how it felt like mid-winter up there just prior to Halloween. 

I guess you were the pattern change we needed.  Having drinks with a BTV Met while -SN accumulated during the day in October and then I think it was ripping out the morning after we tossed a couple back.   

Winter never looked back after that Weather Conference.  That was also when SNE had TORs flying everywhere...good stuff.

20 minutes ago, OSUmetstud said:

We're doing alright, so much better than last year. This system was disappointing compared to what it could have been, just a bit too far offshore. Ended up with 4". We have about 32" on the year so far, with about 14 or 15" on the ground. Nice start to the season. 

Its only just begun

Heh ..  The problem is that in both American agencies... the CDC and CPC, the PNA is rising smartly through the next seven days

That places a bit of a signal in/around early next week anyway over Eastern America

I  see it as possible that shortly after that wave comes off the Pacific in 48 hours+ that Western Ridge in the backside corrects towards more amplitude and if that's the case that northern stream subsequently digs into the lakes at a steeper slope; that changes the landscape a bit in a hurry

Just now, Typhoon Tip said:

Heh ..  The problem is that in both American agencies... the CDC and CPC, the PNA is rising smartly through the next seven days

That places is a bit of a signal in/around early next week anyway.

I  see it is possible that shortly after that wave comes off the Pacific in 48 hours+ that Western Ridge in the backside correct towards more amplitude and if that's the case that northern stream digs into the lakes at a steeper slope and that changes the landscape a bit in a hurry

If somehow Monday was able to produce a snow event, it would be somewhat reminiscent of the December 11, 2002 storm....that was an interior wet snow event that occurred with a putrid pattern under extremely marginal airmass.

ORH county had 6-10 inches in that. The only difference in that one is it did not have the northern stream diving in like the GFS shows, so there was no backside inverted trough stuff.

I could actually see this correct in  the next 24 to 48 hours into a much cleaner phase if indeed the Nstream dives in more aggressively as a correction. In that model ... cold air gets entrained in the mid levels -  fascinating dynamical system like you're supposed to get December go wonder   

I just see that all as not impossible and seeing as we've been sort of on course towards impossibility it's nice to see any possibility at all I don't know if that makes any sense. Anyway it's not usually far-fetched with such a dramatic PNA rise going on… We may just have yet to see the models correct over North America

Mm interesting.  A little closer to phasing… It's been sort of trend by inches for several runs. 

But the bigger correction that I was thinking (if so) probably wouldn't come until 48 hours because it's a rapid fast flow scenario where whatever gets ejected off the pacific into the physical soundings moves quite rapidly across the continent "maybe" benefiting from a robust ridge correction in the west ... We're not there yet but this run illustrates 

37 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

If somehow Monday was able to produce a snow event, it would be somewhat reminiscent of the December 11, 2002 storm....that was an interior wet snow event that occurred with a putrid pattern under extremely marginal airmass.

ORH county had 6-10 inches in that. The only difference in that one is it did not have the northern stream diving in like the GFS shows, so there was no backside inverted trough stuff.

You mean like that 00z ICON?

...  I am less familiar with the specifics on the December 2002  take a look tomorrow

1 hour ago, Typhoon Tip said:

You mean like that 00z ICON?

...  I am less familiar with the specifics on the December 2002  take a look tomorrow

Finally looking at this...and while probably not likely, I agree that we shouldn't sleep on a late blooming miller B east here on Sunday...see what the EURO does shortly..

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Looks like a north of NYC pattern . Deep deep snows but none for Snoski

I'd be more confident in a general gradient line from AQW-Brian.  Not to say southern areas won't get some--but generally I'd put the gradient quite a bit further north than your NYC thought.  Hopefully you're right.

29 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Looks like a north of NYC pattern . Deep deep snows but none for Snoski

Let me know how that works out for you. 

Truth be told I'm not sold on a gradient pattern, GEFS don't really see that and it would be very unusual to have it during a Nino. 

But if there is one, then it could just as easily torch those further north especially if the troughing sets up out west. I'd be comfortable if I lived in VT or ME.

3 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

Let me know how that works out for you. 

Truth be told I'm not sold on a gradient pattern, GEFS don't really see that and it would be very unusual to have it during a Nino. 

But if there is one, then it could just as easily torch those further north especially if the troughing sets up out west. I'd be comfortable if I lived in VT or ME.

GEFS have it.