• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
December Discussion

NorEastermass128

That 5.7” is still the most I’ve seen since 11/89 this early.  Speaking of what I witnessed. 02 and 05 had more in interior SE MA.  But that was legit. The rates were good. Not Uber, but stacked nicely. I finally got to witness what Jspin deals with. I’m sure if I took the wind out of blizzards I’d have 40” events lol. 

• Like 1

I have no issues. We've gotten over a foot here in Lowell, and over 3' at the cabin. Skiing has been incredible skiing natural in October and trees in November. Fortunately, they've been holding onto snow at the resorts and this weekend's rainer is now a passing shower, or even a gainer. I move north Friday until at least the end of the month. 

7 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

Depressing forecast down here for the next 5 days, mainly overcast/rainy with highs in the 40s, low 50s. 

I'd rather have Dec 2015 right now.

This is my longest stretch without measurable precip since this past March. 10 days and counting. Thank the lord.

1 hour ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

I read a recent news story how here in Central Mass, people were checking in deer with zero ticks on them.  I guess that is rare

I am out with 2 dogs several times a day in mixed terrain and have seen 2 ticks total since June after a horrific spring with multiple ticks per week.   My entomologist friend at Umass feels like the dry start to summer followed by prolific moisture disrupted them somehow.  The prolonged cold with bare, dry ground should also create some dents in the tick population. 

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

I can appreciate that... without the month long snow cover and multiple events, I'd be right there in the pile hating on this too. 

I also think the constant snow cover is feeding back to our negative departures as well, the radiation nights are bone chilling and it just seems like it wants to lean colder than first glance.

Its why we stress getting things deep in Ecanada quickly.  You will be our cryosphere soon. Thanks in advance

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

I am out with 2 dogs several times a day in mixed terrain and have seen 2 ticks total since June after a horrific spring with multiple ticks per week.   My entomologist friend at Umass feels like the dry start to summer followed by prolific moisture disrupted them somehow.  The prolonged cold with bare, dry ground should also create some dents in the tick population. 

I work in the woods and fields all day everyday.  I'm usually good for a case or two of lyme or anaplasmosis (nasty) a season. Just  Two embedded ticks and no tick born illness the entire year.

2 minutes ago, kdxken said:

What you want more rain?

Not at all...just that for as cold as it's been it just hasn't felt that brutal. I'd take another 10 days of this, but a warmup with minimal precip is even better. I'd like to go tabula rasa on this snowpack...it's so hideous. It's like the snow that would form in old freezers...1-2" of of hardpack snow that you can't even break with a hammer.

Looking at the 12z and 18z GEFS, after this weekend the h5 anomalies are never positive again here through hr 384, and h850 are mostly the same.  In fact, they are mostly BN.  Based on that, I don't think we'll be breaking out the banana hammocks on the 20th or the following week.  But I suppose things could change.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Not at all...just that for as cold as it's been it just hasn't felt that brutal. I'd take another 10 days of this, but a warmup with minimal precip is even better. I'd like to go tabula rasa on this snowpack...it's so hideous. It's like the snow that would form in old freezers...1-2" of of hardpack snow that you can't even break with a hammer.

Man after my own heart.

6 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

Lol oh ok, absolutely. Hey you have to be close to these sub 970s that zip by, how much snow so far this year

We're doing alright, so much better than last year. This system was disappointing compared to what it could have been, just a bit too far offshore. Ended up with 4". We have about 32" on the year so far, with about 14 or 15" on the ground. Nice start to the season. 

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

That 5.7” is still the most I’ve seen since 11/89 this early.  Speaking of what I witnessed. 02 and 05 had more in interior SE MA.  But that was legit. The rates were good. Not Uber, but stacked nicely. I finally got to witness what Jspin deals with. I’m sure if I took the wind out of blizzards I’d have 40” events lol. 

Given what I saw for your snow quality in 2015, without the wind you probably could've had another couple feet lol.  

Like an interior deformation band...I still remember those photos from West Chesterfield in Oct 2011, even in October that deformation band was putting down 30+ of cotton candy in dead calm air.  

54 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Not at all...just that for as cold as it's been it just hasn't felt that brutal. 

Yeah that's true, it's been pretty damn cold though even below zero in November, but these departures in Jan/Feb would be brutal.  

I still can't believe we had days in mid-Nov of like 21/5, 20/2...and then 11/2 and 24/-10.   Four mins of 5F or lower.  

A balmy -4F at home right now and -6F at MVL in the field.  Brrrr.