Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
December Discussion

NorEastermass128

2 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

If played right sure. Anyways, silly to get into semantics so far out. What is striking to me, is that this is not typical at all. Not really for Nino. Any worries about moderate or greater are LOL right now.

That enso thread on the main forum was hilarious. People trying to pound their chests over a weekly number and subsurface saying this would be solidly moderate while ignoring how slow the event started. This is a paltry weak El Niño. As soon as the WWBs abated, the numbers reverted back to weak.

AWT. 

Just now, ORH_wxman said:

That enso thread on the main forum was hilarious. People trying to pound their chests over a weekly number and subsurface saying this would be solidly moderate while ignoring how slow the event started. This is a paltry weak El Niño. As soon as the WWBs abated, the numbers reverted back to weak.

AWT. 

Yeah I ventured in there and it was Ray against many. Lots of erly anomalies right now. 

58 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

I just opened Alex's post and went to his camera link, man dude has got an epic view

Capture.JPG

He has just a perfect spot.  Went to visit and brought the drone to get a good idea of the mountains in his area.  He is right on the Ammonoosuc River on a very low spot.  I think his elevation is around 1500 feet.  Wall of the Whites just to his south for great upslope.  Here is a video of his area and the house. Im very envious.  Ammonoosuc

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

Happy 10th anniversary of Ekster trolling you with the ice storm headlines!

One of the funnier memories of that event. Ekster stopped the ice storm watch at the MA border and kevin threw an epic tantrum. But it turned out to be a great call two days out...siggy ice had a lot of trouble making it south of the border in central areas. 

5 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

He has just a perfect spot.  Went to visit and brought the drone to get a good idea of the mountains in his area.  He is right on the Ammonoosuc River on a very low spot.  I think his elevation is around 1500 feet.  Wall of the Whites just to his south for great upslope.  Here is a video of his area and the house. Im very envious.  Ammonoosuc

His grid in our forecast builder ranges from 1500 ft to like 3000 ft. Try making an accurate average forecast from that 1x1km box. 

2 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

One of the funnier memories of that event. Ekster stopped the ice storm watch at the MA border and kevin threw an epic tantrum. But it turned out to be a great call two days out...siggy ice had a lot of trouble making it south of the border in central areas. 

It still makes him chuckle. 

10 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

you forgot the video link

1 hour ago, Ginx snewx said:

Damn PF 2nd coldest this monthly period of weather ever at Montpelier, 1st coldest on maxes too wow. Thats a 68 year record base

Past Month
11/11/18 - 12/10/18
View History
100%
30 Daily
Value 30.4 °F 15.7 °F 23 °F 3.12 in Bismarck, ND
Max: 34.1 °F
Min: 14 °F
DFN -9.1 °F -7.5 °F -8.3 °F +0.0 in
Ranking 1st coldest 2nd coldest 2nd coldest 27th wettest
Similar DOY 
?
Feb 2-Mar 1 Nov 28-Dec 27 Dec 1-Dec 30

No hyperbole here... when you couple the highest ever November snowpack for the mountains and high-end cold (as your post shows), this is close to a once-in-a-lifetime start to winter in the NNE mtns for snow/cold combo.  

I may not have even been fully grasping that cold departure and snow combo too.

7 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

No hyperbole here... when you couple the highest ever November snowpack for the mountains and high-end cold (as your post shows), this is close to a once-in-a-lifetime start to winter in the NNE mtns for snow/cold combo.  

I may not have even been fully grasping that cold departure and snow combo too.

Exceptional start, always like big early years to ski empty slopes mid week the week before Christmas. They are pretty few and far between where everything is in play. Sucks but i will survive

22 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

lol that was great

7 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Exceptional start, always like big early years to ski empty slopes mid week the week before Christmas. They are pretty few and far between where everything is in play. Sucks but i will survive

If there's a time for big negative departures in NNE it's November into December and then again in March and April....that's when it seems to lead to big snow.

These same departures in Jan/Feb would almost certainly be suppression depression lol.  30-day means of -7 to -9 in mid-winter is definitely different up here than when it occurs in the bookend seasons.  

1 minute ago, powderfreak said:

If there's a time for big negative departures in NNE it's November into December and then again in March and April....that's when it seems to lead to big snow.

These same departures in Jan/Feb would almost certainly be suppression depression lol.  30-day means of -7 to -9 in mid-winter is definitely different up here than when it occurs in the bookend seasons.  

So just average 32 degrees for 6 months straight? :lol:

5 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

So just average 32 degrees for 6 months straight? :lol:

Haha that would be ideal honestly.  Find a way to have the average high be 32F from Nov 1 through April 15.

JSpin and I have always mused the best pattern for here if you were to draw it up in a vacuum with no other influences would be well below normal start in November that trends to normal temps for Jan/Feb then dips back to below normal in March and well below in April, lol.

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

Another gradient event.