Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
December Discussion

NorEastermass128

6 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

I don't care about anywhere but New England but I see alternating dry pattern , meh is meh, certainly no where in NE would anyone be sipping Mai Tais and cocktails

Like Will said yesterday and multiple Mets, it’s mild days and cool nights with a few warmer ones thrown it. Whether it’s 45 or 55, it’s an ugly look. My guess is at least a day in 50s with maybe 2 if we get ridging prior to Christmas. I mean whatever makes you sleep at night, but it’s pretty bad. I think several people including Mets have tried to say that. It’s not like there is snow to protect except up north.

Well since Brian doesn't want me to post charts and says I should be posting MOS 

WORCESTER       
 KORH   GFSX MOS GUIDANCE  12/11/2018  1200 UTC                       
 FHR  24  36| 48  60| 72  84| 96 108|120 132|144 156|168 180|192      
      WED 12| THU 13| FRI 14| SAT 15| SUN 16| MON 17| TUE 18|WED CLIMO
 N/X  20  33| 15  27| 23  37| 36  47| 32  36| 25  36| 25  34| 21 21 37
  • Like 1

Just now, CoastalWx said:

Like Will said yesterday and multiple Mets, it’s mild days and cool nights with a few warmer ones thrown it. Whether it’s 45 or 55, it’s an ugly look. My guess is at least a day in 50s with maybe 2 if we get ridging prior to Christmas. I mean whatever makes you sleep at night, but it’s pretty bad. I think several people including Mets have tried to say that. It’s not like there is snow to protect except up north.

its meh is my point, nothing atypical about it. Just boring and dry warmer than it has been, couple of cold shots but just boring

19 minutes ago, EastonSN+ said:

Yeah 95 96 was incredible for all. 92 inches in SW CT.

Though I've never seen any papers that are definitive ... there was conjecture floated ... from credible sources actually regarding the planetary system reeling in a local time scale Pinatubo climate ...

It erupted in June '91 in a perfect spot, too ... near the equator. It punched a high aerosol effusion content tens of miles high ... interacting with stratosphere.  Global temperatures nicked downward through 1995 ... thought to be a result. 

Of course 1994-1995 was not a very impressively cold or snowing winter out side of (perhaps) a single one week period in February... Anyway, I've always thought it oddly coincidental that we were "enjoying" a decade long dearth of interesting anything really ...then, Pinatubo happens and a year later we started dispensing frenzied winters like pezz candies. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Typhoon Tip said:

How about the save by the bell Xmass morning event there ... hahaha... 

Man, pulling that off two years back to back would be an impressive statistical feat - 

I wonder if, in recorded weather history for SNE, we have ever had consecutive (plowable) Christmas snows...  I know they are pretty rare.  I can think of a couple besides last year (2001 I think?) plus one in the late 1990s I believe...

3 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

I wonder if, in recorded weather history for SNE, we have ever had consecutive (plowable) Christmas snows...  I know they are pretty rare.  I can think of a couple besides last year (2001 I think?) plus one in the late 1990s I believe...

Using Rays former nearby COOP in Reading there have been 4 Christmas days there with > 4 inches, if you want me to check somewhere else let me know

3 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Using Rays former nearby COOP in Reading there have been 4 Christmas days there with > 4 inches, if you want me to check somewhere else let me know

Thanks.  I seem to recall that having a pretty long history (60 or so years?)

Help a weenie out... link?   Never mind.  Found it

1960-2015    

I'm looking at the data on NWS   

10 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

yeah interesting question. Don't know.

Just off the cuff I'd say a long, long ways back in time ...But, you know how that goes - we tend to recall the disappointments in our minds with some order of magnitude better clarity and significance ..ha.   

Just looking at the statistics for a white xmas or not, and it's not really favorable .. We're on average in the 50th percentile in SNE.... The odds do pick up pretty quickly looking N. CON, NH is 70 and it's over 90 in western Maine.  

But, white means snow on the ground.   And that is only 50% ... We'd have to ask first, how often is there actually snow falling in xmas morning. That get's a lot dicier/lower odds.  I think with reasonably confidence we can infer that we'd have to go back pretty far to find actual plowable snow on the 25th, back to back years. 

11 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

I think with reasonably confidence we can infer that we'd have to go back pretty far to find actual plowable snow on the 25th, back to back years. 

HFD shows only 1 day above 4 inches on Christmas but 9 on the 26th, probably a case of the Observer not measuring Christmas day. I won't use that sh ithole of Boston but  ORH is 4 times on the 25th and 11 on the 26th, see the pattern? lol

7 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

Down in NYC there have been some bad inaccuracies since switching over to ASOS also (linked to vegetation overgrowth, it includes bad temp data, p-type issues, wind measurement concerns, etc.).  What was the reason for the switchover to ASOS?  

I wish we'd just use the wunderground network with Davis weather stations only, and use that as official weather data.  I know that there are networks such as MADIS, so we shouldn't just be limited to airports.  Those sites just need to be made official and reported on by the media, rather than all of the attention being given to airports and their inaccurate data.

I mean the reason for the conversion is that nobody wants to pay for a human observer when the computer can do it for a small down payment. 

And Davis's are fine, but not everyone keeps them as well maintained as Brian. So we can't really rely on them (but certainly use the ones we consider to be within tolerance to fill in our gaps).

• Like 1

Damn PF 2nd coldest this monthly period of weather ever at Montpelier, 1st coldest on maxes too wow. Thats a 68 year record base

Past Month
11/11/18 - 12/10/18
View History
100%
30 Daily
Value 30.4 °F 15.7 °F 23 °F 3.12 in Bismarck, ND
Max: 34.1 °F
Min: 14 °F
DFN -9.1 °F -7.5 °F -8.3 °F +0.0 in
Ranking 1st coldest 2nd coldest 2nd coldest 27th wettest
Similar DOY 
?