Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
December Discussion

NorEastermass128

7 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

We got 78.5", Greg.

Boston had 90-100".

Yes, that's what I was getting at. That Feb 9th 1994 storm with it's extra ocean effect really helped the Boston area and immediate coastline in that.  Just a hop, skip and jump inland genarally 75-80" for the season of course.  But who the hell would mind that now is beyond me.

6 minutes ago, Greg said:

Yes, that's what I was getting at. That Feb 9th 1994 storm with it's extra ocean effect really helped the Boston area and immediate coastline in that.  Just a hop, skip and jump inland genarally 75-80" for the season of course.  But who the hell would mind that now is beyond me.

ORH had over a 100", too....we were in a screw zone.

9 minutes ago, Greg said:

75-80” ya that’s um good

5 minutes ago, EastonSN+ said:

We only had 52 in SW coastal CT, but the cold was impressive!

Are you sure about that?*  I thought that was a big snow winter, followed by a dog in 94-95, then the historic 95-96.

*Be careful about using BDR's measurements.  For many years they simply took the water equivalent and multiplied by 10.

13 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

PF is above freezing for 18 hrs out of 384 on that cold GFS run, that would be a helluva way to run a warm up

It has been frigid since it flipped from humid to cold...almost lean colder because of that. And I usually am not that optimistic but... it was -8F last night, it's sunny and 15F on my car now driving around doing errands.  

Looks and continues to feel like mid-January.  With no snow last night, it was our first 24 hour period without snowfall in at least a week.  Days and days of snow streak comes to an end.

-7.4 month to date here and today will likely fire off another -15 type departure.  Even BTV is -4F so far which for that climo location is pure icebox.

This cold pattern has been relentless including last month's -5 departure.  

If there was a pattern that could mitigate a torch it's probably this one.  

But when you think of departures, even a couple +5 to +7 days will feel like 20F warmer than the current pattern of highs in the 10s/20s with lows below zero.

• Thanks 1

GFS actually digs that lead northern stream s/w less this run, but it's far enough north with the southern low that it's able to tap into that marginal cold air behind that northern s/w. End result is we wetbulb over to snow. That followup nrn s/w looks pretty potent anyway so we have to keep an eye on that...even if the southern low stays south and offshore. Maybe we can get some ULL snows, and inverted flake for Ray, or some kind of progressive redevelopment.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

It has been frigid since it flipped from humid to cold...almost lean colder because of that. And I usually am not that optimistic but... it was -8F last night, it's sunny and 15F on my car now driving around doing errands.  

Looks and continues to feel like mid-January.  With no snow last night, it was our first 24 hour period without snowfall in at least a week.  Days and days of snow streak comes to an end.

Just looking at the GEFS  totally agreed with your statement above 

3 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Yeah, just need to figure out how to hack the other models on board but GFS was congrats NW MA.  Ready for the snow now, finished stacking my back up cord from the fairy wood wookie.  Already gone through a bit of wood with these temps. 

I think a lot of folks this way are pissing thru there stockpiles as well, Its been a cold 6-8 weeks in general.

14 minutes ago, dendrite said:

GFS actually digs that lead northern stream s/w less this run, but it's far enough north with the southern low that it's able to tap into that marginal cold air behind that northern s/w. End result is we wetbulb over to snow. That followup nrn s/w looks pretty potent anyway so we have to keep an eye on that...even if the southern low stays south and offshore. Maybe we can get some ULL snows, and inverted flake for Ray, or some kind of progressive redevelopment.

I suspect also the 1025+ mb nascent polar high that is borne of confluence/detailed handling therein has something to do with it ... This solution on whole wrt to the southern stream is really is not too terribly different then the 06z solution, with the obvious and paramount distinction being the cold, thermodynamic insert you're targeting ...  being made available to the system, flipping colorized synoptic QPF charts to blue and attracting flies like the fresh stench of new elephant dung.

Not to credit grab ... I don't give a schit but this has been inconsistently off and on in the last 8 cycles of this particular model ...don't know if this one should really be any more or less believable, not that anyone said otherwise. 

And I would suggest going back to 06z's run of the 10th... the model did almost the same thing - it's not the first. 

• Like 1

Just now, dryslot said:

I think a lot of folks this way are pissing thru there stockpiles as well, Its been a cold 6-8 weeks up here in general

Even my bud on SWRI was telling me he has been pissing wood. Even the mild days were cloudy rainy chilly. HDDs are running 10 to 20 % above normal since the flip to cold in Oct, that huge