Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December Discussion

NorEastermass128

1 minute ago, OceanStWx said:

Trust me, BOX triple checked that it was the right amount. It's just not a favorable location. Not that the old Winthrop location was either, but until they find someone in Boston proper that wants to commit to the job you get what you get.

Well ok..but man that just sucks for that area!  

1 minute ago, weathafella said:

He winged it after missing the measurement before the changeover.

If that's the case, that's part of the problem why BOX had such a hard time filling the position. You need to be available every 6 hours, and possibly be available/have back up to measure in marginal or changeover situations.

Unfortunately, we can't really estimate observations. Even with the missing CON data, we couldn't estimate we could only use the data from a nearby station.

Just now, OceanStWx said:

If that's the case, that's part of the problem why BOX had such a hard time filling the position. You need to be available every 6 hours, and possibly be available/have back up to measure in marginal or changeover situations.

Unfortunately, we can't really estimate observations. Even with the missing CON data, we couldn't estimate we could only use the data from a nearby station.

It begs the question of why would they use the airport in the first place.  90+% of the populace is Boston Common and west.

• Like 1

I think there will be a small window for something before Christmas but we will probably need to get a little lucky on the shortwaves since the EPO ridge is pretty far west...it will require good timing without blocking in the Atlantic. 

Its definitely a temporary La Niña pattern as progged. We will see if that holds up as we get closer....we know how those can work both in our favor and against. 

• Like 1

RE: BOS snowfall. I don't think the 0.1" is correct. I think that may be what the observer measured later in the day in that location, but it doesn't really pass the smell test based on the obs from very close by. I could maybe buy something like 1.2" but even that would be allowing for some big water influence. 

That's the game though when you don't have an FAA observer at BOS. 

18 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

This is a government position.  Don't they have a job description for this position, one which describes the general tasks and duties of the position, as well as the responsibilities?  I guess I'm expecting too much from the government.

6 minutes ago, weathafella said:

It begs the question of why would they use the airport in the first place.  90+% of the populace is Boston Common and west.

Official obs are tied to the ASOSs now.

You could make the argument that city center obs are more important, but alas we don't have an ASOS in Boston Common.

4 minutes ago, 78Blizzard said:

This is a government position.  Don't they have a job description for this position, one which describes the general tasks and duties of the position, as well as the responsibilities?  I guess I'm expecting too much from the government.

Sometimes these are just volunteer positions. 

Given that BOS is a LCD site, it's probably a paid snow observer. But that does not mean it's a gov't position. 

The contract observers follow the same guidelines as a Coop, except for more frequent snow measurements (http://www.nws.noaa.gov/directives/sym/pd01013002curr.pdf).

It has zero to do with your last sentence, that's for sure.

6 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

Sometimes these are just volunteer positions. 

Given that BOS is a LCD site, it's probably a paid snow observer. But that does not mean it's a gov't position. 

The contract observers follow the same guidelines as a Coop, except for more frequent snow measurements (http://www.nws.noaa.gov/directives/sym/pd01013002curr.pdf).

It has zero to do with your last sentence, that's for sure.

Paid to measure snow,sounds like my retirement ideal job.

• Haha 2

My friend who was the Logan snow guy from I think 06-11 lives in Back Bay now. He was an option, but I think they felt he was too far away. His Dad lives in East Boston near the airport and said they had maybe 1.5-2".  In any case, hopefully it's a big winter and this small difference now becomes noise. From what I heard...there was a huge difference right at the water, vs just inland.