Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December Discussion

NorEastermass128

38 minutes ago, Go Kart Mozart said:

nice duration for them

That place reminds me of one of those nice little towns snug in the Rockies or the Alps lol.

What they got this weekend will be what the northeast gets from late December through early March.

I dont mind the thaw if we get a relatively unbroken winter after that.  January thaws irk me because they often happen when we are supposed to be near our yearly lows.

9 minutes ago, Hoth said:

Long range has definitely been trending more serviceable. As has generally been the case in recent years, back end of December is when we start to rock. 

Yep, like I said, I dont mind the thaw right now, if winter is at its best when it's supposed to be which is from late December thru early March.

• Like 1

I'm still not sure on where this mild up has changed very much. It still looks pretty much on track. We're gonna see some pretty good departures during it too. You can have a 46 high that doesn't seem too impressive in SNE but let me know what those 33-34F low temps are gonna do to the departures. 

I get the feeling that because we won't be setting record highs, it means the mild period is some sort of paper tiger? It's coming and it's going to last over a week. We will compile the numbers at the end of it. 

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

I'm still not sure on where this mild up has changed very much. It still looks pretty much on track. We're gonna see some pretty good departures during it too. You can have a 46 high that doesn't seem too impressive in SNE but let me know what those 33-34F low temps are gonna do to the departures. 

I get the feeling that because we won't be setting record highs, it means the mild period is some sort of paper tiger? It's coming and it's going to last over a week. We will compile the numbers at the end of it. 

There’s been calls of 7 days or more of 50 or higher . I don’t see how that is remotely possible 

Right. It’s a mild look and the cutter prior to Christmas will boost it. The board has gone insane. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Right. It’s a mild look and the cutter prior to Christmas will boost it. The board has gone insane. 

Agreed. The rhetoric is a little over the top on this. It's a pretty solid mild period and the numbers at the end will bear that out. Luckily, it's not going to set in for a very long time. It should be out of here by Xmas...my thoughts the past few days has been hopefully we can sneak in an event before Xmas. The transition period can sometimes be favorable for that. 

Agreed. The rhetoric is a little over the top on this. It's a pretty solid mild period and the numbers at the end will bear that out. Luckily, it's not going to set in for a very long time. It should be out of here by Xmas...my thoughts the past few days has been hopefully we can sneak in an event before Xmas. The transition period can sometimes be favorable for that. 

That’s the hope. Whatever happens, should really set in after with a good Pacific it seems. It does have a gradient look to start it from what I saw.

Also, again ... the 00z Euro and the 06z GFS are offering 'hints' at colder lower boundary layer over/during the weekend mess.  I believe the complexion of that event/system is still negotiable..  

That look is precarious for a 'tuck' event and in fact, the 06z GFS in particular ... it goes out of its way to  flash. Deeply enough with cold for a burst of S as far south as southern VT/NH ... The 2-meter temperature product toggling really represents that backward sloshed ageostrophic invastion ... which is actually interesting just because the GFS typically has that BL warm bias. So ~ mid way through the event and what is likely low 40s with ongoing light and moderate rain could suddenly tank EEN-ASH and possibly FIT-BED and eventually into the ooze axis of eastern ORH Hills given time.  

It's fragile as an overall scenario ... for winter enthusiasts, don't count on it.  However, the 06z solution, albeit not impossible, is one in many - it happens to be the most cooler profiled of those that begin hinting this in the cycles yesterday (Euro is/was included in the hinters).  I mentioned the 18z last night was close. 

So we'll see how these details evolve. Sufficed it is to say ... we are all a little punchy and grasping for reasons to rejoice here, but this I believe isn't really that. There are certain markers about that synoptic evolution that are clad.   For one, the flow over and across southern and SE Canada from Friday thru next Monday is not smoothed and laminar by any stretch.  'Get passed even November 1 ... and any tendency to 'buckle' that flow inherently prones SNE and all of NE/NYS to these sort of poorly modeled correction schemes - and guess what ?  They can happen in an overall warmer than normal pattern, too. And do so without actually harming the warm pattern distinction.  We have to consider that tuck/slosh-back phenomenon as a local climate variance ..idiosyncrasy if you will, and can actually be quite disconnected from the larger synoptic scope ... It has do with air-land interface at large scales and the fact that the geography from eastern Canada to ... interior NC actually... has a built in vector at all times .. It draws the lower troposphere SW at least excuse imaginable in that region and given any impetus to do so, and the warm pattern has no idea that the mice are scurrying under foot.  It's actually overcome when we get heat in the summer, but it's still always there if muted. 

Beyond that ...as others have noted, there's an emerging colder look toward the end of the month.  Does that time more than less well with the relaxation thing?  I haven't been that close to the details on that particular vitriol.  :) seriously though... the last couple cycles of the GFS operational really dome out the eastern EPO domain space before even the end of the month... The Euro operational even hints at that getting going after D8, too.   I also like the fact that the wave placement does not have to mean the lengths are very stretched - ...so if there is a fledgling cold load emerging here maybe it doesn't head for the Great Basin first. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

at least it looks like we avoid the deluge next weekend.