joxey
December Discussion

NorEastermass128

14 hours ago, weathafella said:

Maybe for you?  Not supported in a general statement 

https://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424052702304793504576434442652581806

But Stress Is Less in Rural Regions

^thats what I meant Jer

also sleep is much deeper with less light pollution and asthma rates are much higher in cities, especially with the trucks that constantly go through the streets.

Average longevity is the longest in Colorado I believe.

14 hours ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Thanks. This idea that rural living is healthier is hogwash. Regardless of the pros and cons of each, It’s all about what you make of it. 

No it's not, it even says in that article that it's less stressful.  And asthma rates are higher in cities thanks to all the extra vehicles (especially trucks) and when you look at longevity on a state by state basis, Colorado comes out on top.

This one is more recent (sorry Jer!).  It does sound like more of a mixed message though with each location being better in some ways.

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20180531-where-are-the-worlds-healthiest-places-to-live

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0169204611003665

http://www.ecehh.org/research-projects/urban-green-space/

Generally speaking, evidence suggests that green spaces are good for those of us who live in urban areas. Those who reside near parks or trees tend to enjoy lower levels of ambient air pollution, reduced manmade noise pollution and more cooling effects (something that will become increasingly useful as the planet warms).

Natural spaces are conducive to physical and social activities– both of which are associated with myriad benefits of their own.

Time in nature has been linked to reduced physical markers of stress. When we are out for a stroll or just sitting beneath the trees, our heart rate and blood pressure both tend to go down. We also release more natural ‘killer cells’: lymphocytes that roam throughout the body, hunting down cancerous and virus-infected cells.

Researchers are still trying to determine why this is so, although they do have a number of hypotheses. “One predominate theory is that natural spaces act as a calming backdrop to the busy stimuli of the city,” says Amber Pearson, a health geographer at Michigan State University. “From an evolutionary perspective, we also associate natural things as key resources for survival, so we favour them.” 

City residents tend to suffer from more asthma, allergies and depression – but they also tend to be less obese, at a lower suicide risk and are less likely to get killed in an accident

1 minute ago, 78Blizzard said:

0z GFS shows the coldest air of the season so far building by Christmas Eve in Nunavut Territory to the NW of Hudson Bay, with temps getting down to -35°F to -45°F, and with the leading edge dropping down into the northern plains.

Yea, last week of Dec is fair game.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Yea, last week of Dec is fair game.

Weird that some of the analogs we can use for Decembers like this where we had cold/dry during the first couple of weeks only to get nailed towards the end of the month are La Nina winters like December 2000 and December 2010.

I'm sure there are El Nino examples too.

2 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

That's almost a Leon look on the ensembles near Christmas. I'm going to call it...a "Leo" look!

2 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

That's almost a Leon look on the ensembles near Christmas. I'm going to call it...a "Leo" look!

Once Leon bowed down Leo rose and naming him uncle Leo is perfect.  Let’s see what happens but the ensembles are improving a lot in the past fe runs.  Maybe we get lucky in the 12/15-25 relaxation time.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

But Stress Is Less in Rural Regions

^thats what I meant Jer

also sleep is much deeper with less light pollution and asthma rates are much higher in cities, especially with the trucks that constantly go through the streets.

Average longevity is the longest in Colorado I believe.

So ts intereting now we define rural. Many areas not far fro cities are quiet.   

Hhgest longevity is Hawaii followed by MN.   Top 5 (multi state tie) include MA/VT/NY.  Bottom are the really poor states in the Deep South such as MS.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._states_and_territories_by_life_expectancy

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Once Leon bowed down Leo rose and naming him uncle Leo is perfect.  Let’s see what happens but the ensembles are improving a lot in the past fe runs.  Maybe we get lucky in the 12/15-25 relaxation time.

Still thinking the gentle mild up will end up with AN month overall ?

34 minutes ago, weathafella said:

So ts intereting now we define rural. Many areas not far fro cities are quiet.   

Hhgest longevity is Hawaii followed by MN.   Top 5 (multi state tie) include MA/VT/NY.  Bottom are the really poor states in the Deep South such as MS.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._states_and_territories_by_life_expectancy

Wow Hawaii must have truly stress free living Jer.  Hope you checked out the article in the following post, it points out that each lifestyle has its strengths and weaknesses - for country living its lower asthma and stress levels, for city living its lower obesity and accidental deaths.  But even for city living, green spaces are best.  I like that we're seeing a turn towards greening of our cities, I see lots of rooftop gardens in NYC as well as people growing their own veggies in their apartments.

After he retired my dad got into gardening, in his 70s and his blood pressure went down from something like 175/95 to 130/70.  I inherited my green thumb (and high blood pressure) from him.

I noticed that the states near the top of the list either had nice beaches or mountains or both lol.

2 minutes ago, weathafella said:

What I said yesterday was I thought the milder period would wipe out the negatives for the month and we’d need the last week to bring us back down.   I have to admit the modeling is finding ways to make it almost ACATT.  We take.

You act surprised? Some were advocating the torch / close the shades period of was going to be meh and short in duration. I know the EPS said otherwise but you know my posistion about the EPS 

3 minutes ago, Zach’s Pop said:

You act surprised? Some were advocating the torch / close the shades period of was going to be meh and short in duration. I know the EPS said otherwise but you know my posistion about the EPS 

The duration hasn’t changed much.  What happens during the relaxation period has.  And like November when the eps moves towards other guidance it sometimes goes gangbusters.