Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
December Discussion

NorEastermass128

33 minutes ago, dendrite said:

idk...this could still go either way depending on how the northern stream plays out. That lead northern s/w that really dug out ahead of the southern one on the GFS yesterday morning was a lot weaker/north overnight. It's moving the strongest confluence north and the southern system is a little stronger and slowing down a bit. That's letting the trailing s/w catch up just in time to make it interesting. But we still need an earlier phase. CMC would be nice...it goes bonkers with the trailing northern piece. Still casually interested.

This is a good summary.

35 minutes ago, dendrite said:

idk...this could still go either way depending on how the northern stream plays out. That lead northern s/w that really dug out ahead of the southern one on the GFS yesterday morning was a lot weaker/north overnight. It's moving the strongest confluence north and the southern system is a little stronger and slowing down a bit. That's letting the trailing s/w catch up just in time to make it interesting. But we still need an earlier phase. CMC would be nice...it goes bonkers with the trailing northern piece. Still casually interested.

I agree with all this, And all this does not get sorted out for a few more days at the very least, Going forward, Just pay attention to the northern stream and how it interacts.

9 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I'll bet if you researched the topic thoroughly, you would be hard pressed to unearth a major winter storm that heavily impacted the mid atl and whiffed sne in a weak modoki el nino season.

Plenty were modeled to, sure....Jan 2005 one very notable one....Jan 2015 was supposed to fish.

Northern stream will rule this season.

Ponder that one for a bit...

That’s good to hear.  I’m not sure how I would begin researching it other than the KU books

6 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Most definitely, Not often when those to locales get blitzed that it works out further north, That's why the northern stream involvement or lack there of will be key.

It's still a LONG way out.  I had forgotten how far out this system is until I just looked at some models.  Judging by post frequency I started thinking this was 3-4 days out, looks like 6 days away from New England impacts?

Thats an eternity in model land.

16 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I'll bet if you researched the topic thoroughly, you would be hard pressed to unearth a major winter storm that heavily impacted the mid atl and whiffed sne in a weak modoki el nino season.

Plenty were modeled to, sure....Jan 2005 one very notable one....Jan 2015 was supposed to fish.

Northern stream will rule this season.

Ponder that one for a bit...

As a plausible beginning metric ...what was going on with the ENSO state leading all the PD events of last century.  I think there were several - if memory is too bad ... heh - that did a sharp N cut-off near Long Island of southern NH latitudes... where they hammered PHL..  interesting.

Just now, powderfreak said:

It's still a LONG way out.  I had forgotten how far out this system is until I just looked at some models.  Judging by post frequency I started thinking this was 3-4 days out, looks like 6-7 days away from New England impacts?

At one point it would have been, Its still a long ways out as it went from showing up around the 8th to pushed back to the 10-12th time frame so its delayed on modeling........lol

3 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

It's still a LONG way out.  I had forgotten how far out this system is until I just looked at some models.  Judging by post frequency I started thinking this was 3-4 days out, looks like 6-7 days away from New England impacts?

Yea true, long ways to go. but As tend be well formed beneath us for days. Just a matter of getting the n stream involved now. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

As a plausible beginning metric ...what was going on with the ENSO state leading all the PD events of last century.  I think there were several - if memory is too bad ... heh - that did a sharp N cut-off near Long Island of southern NH latitudes... where they hammered PHL..  interesting.

PD I was neutral ENSO. PD II was moderate modoki el nino

3 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

And I should have said a Cape Scraper/SRI, SCT deal seems doable, but "up and in" might be tough depending on the northern stream.  Hopefully Ray's analysis bears fruit.

I'm not saying it can't whiff....but merely contending that past history should give one pause before resigning to such a fate.

13 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Most of us know what the outcome will be without any help from any northern stream interaction of some sort.

Sure, but most of us also know that a dearth of northern stream involvement in a season of this ilk would be exceptionally rare.

Again, could happen....

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, USCAPEWEATHERAF said:

As for this system tomorrow impacting the fishes, the GFS has been overwhelmingly progressive with the system in the southern stream.  I would beg to side on the more amped solutions.

Create your own thread to beg for that system because everyone else has moved on days ago.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Greg said:

One of the Miller A storms that I looked at last night in the KU book was the February 6-7 1967 Storm.  Not saying it will happen and of course the SST's are NOT that of February, but, the baroclinisic zone is closer off shore at this time of year.:rolleyes:

ENSO cool neutral....fyi

3 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

ENSO cool neutral....fyi

Oh, I know that it wasn't a weak El Nino like it is now but when you actually look at both weak La Ninas and Ninos you can get similar set-ups in a slightly different pattern.  Just a thought, nothing etched in stone of course.:)

• Like 1