Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December Discussion

NorEastermass128

3 hours ago, OceanStWx said:

Not saying it's definitely coming or anything, but another common NWP miss is too much focus on the southern stream (and convective latent heating) while the northern stream is often just as strong an influence.

Some of our satellite estimate techniques tend to break down for the northern stream too. WV gets "washed out" because sampling cooler temps in general across the north tricks the satellite into thinking the features may be higher in the atmosphere (shallower) than reality.

Say it. It’s coming 

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Say it. It’s coming 

6z GFS remains within its bias, progressive big time, I don't know if I should right now, but maybe later while using short-range guidance, we can see that it has a severe progressive bias within the first 48 hours of the forecast, so it bodes well that we see that bias occur in a 6 day forecast.  Right now I would lean amped up a bit, but how much and how does that affect the forecast, i wouldn't know for sure.  Wednesday storm is coming mightily close to impacts on Cape Cod.

4 hours ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Euro is perilously close to nuking us....there is a little northern lobe getting involved at the last moment on this run. 

Watch that moving forward....still think this may end up more n stream involvement.

From your post to God's ears.

The GEM is a thing of beauty.  Bring it.  In the meantime, we an at least enjoy our return to wintery temps.

9 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

He has Pot1 and Pot2 to pick from

It's a little bit of pot-luck, I suppose.  GYX doesn't even drop a hint of anything possible at the end of the period (of course, it's the timing would be later for up here in the off-chance anything should happen).

I might be seeing a couple places to replace Pit1 in ORH over the weekend.  Maybe the evolution of this system will help me scope out a weenie spot.

You don't want the EURO solution to verify, while the northern stream is more involved, there is no direct phase going on, we want a phase near 38N so the conveyor belt hits this area, not Maine.  Plus I think the GFS is too progressive.  I believe the Wednesday night storm will materialize to some degree, how much we won't know until the RAP and HRRR are in their ranges.  The 39 hour RAP shows it much closer to an impact on Cape Cod.

9 minutes ago, moneypitmike said:

It's a little bit of pot-luck, I suppose.  GYX doesn't even drop a hint of anything possible at the end of the period (of course, it's the timing would be later for up here in the off-chance anything should happen).

I might be seeing a couple places to replace Pit1 in ORH over the weekend.  Maybe the evolution of this system will help me scope out a weenie spot.

Help a weenie out, where are pit 1 and pit 2?

Just now, #NoPoles said:

Help a weenie out, where are pit 1 and pit 2?

Pit1 is in Shelburne, MA.  Pit2 is in Bath, ME.

We're selling the place in Shelburne and relocating into central Mass. 

In the meantime, I'm really happy to have dropped into the 20's.  The walking paths at the dog park were a mud disaster yesterday.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, USCAPEWEATHERAF said:

In a lot of ways, the midweek coastal setup is a lot like the weekend storm setup, in these terms, there are arctic and Pacific jet interactions that will determine the storm's fate.

You are treating the mid week non event like it’s an event.  Let it go.   We’re probably not getting a triple phaser fwiw this week or next or maybe anytime this winter.   They are exceedingly rare.

8 minutes ago, USCAPEWEATHERAF said:

In a lot of ways, the midweek coastal setup is a lot like the weekend storm setup, in these terms, there are arctic and Pacific jet interactions that will determine the storm's fate.

This doesn’t seem like asking.  But thanks for the clarification.

27 minutes ago, USCAPEWEATHERAF said:

You don't want the EURO solution to verify, while the northern stream is more involved, there is no direct phase going on, we want a phase near 38N so the conveyor belt hits this area, not Maine.  Plus I think the GFS is too progressive.  I believe the Wednesday night storm will materialize to some degree, how much we won't know until the RAP and HRRR are in their ranges.  The 39 hour RAP shows it much closer to an impact on Cape Cod.

Like hell we do. I'm here to steal snow. :ph34r:

• Like 3

1 hour ago, moneypitmike said:

From your post to God's ears.

The GEM is a thing of beauty.  Bring it.  In the meantime, we an at least enjoy our return to wintery temps.

Doesn't have to mean all out blizzard/HECS, but we should see this come north some. I think the real big fish for us will be later this season...

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Doesn't have to mean all out blizzard/HECS, but we should see this come north some. I think the real big fish for us will be later this season...

I'm wondering if you're concerned at all about about the winds at 500mb spoiling things. The flow looks pretty compressed, which seems less than ideal for northern stream phasing. I think Tippy mentioned something about it the other day. Makes me wonder if this remains more southern stream dominant. At any rate, certainly worth watching.