Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December Discussion

NorEastermass128

2 hours ago, dendrite said:

The end of the latest GEFS were pretty warm and flooding the cold out of Canada and bringing lower heights over AK toward d16. Looks like a NW territory chinook. Gotta just let it play out a bit more. At least we can snow this time of year even with a meh pattern overall. It's just not overly cold.

gfs-ens_z500aMean_nhem_12.png

gfs-ens_T850aMean_nhem_12.png

Shh....it’s muted. In all seriousness it’s not a super torch pattern,  it a milder one. For some reason a few can’t accept it. It might get warm in the beginning of that trough throws a Sonoran Tip release.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, OSUmetstud said:

We have a rising PNA and falling NAO during the potential storm time frame. Isnt that exactly what you want? 

eps_nao_00 (2).png

gefs_pna_00.png

For 9 or whatever days out, it’s a decent look. We all know a small nuances can screw up a decent look, but I’m not sure what people expect?

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

For 9 or whatever days out, it’s a decent look. We all know a small nuances can screw up a decent look, but I’m not sure what people expect?

Yes of course. Its early December and it's so far out so the chances are against it. But a reasonable threat I think for the time frame its at. 

Just now, OSUmetstud said:

Yes of course. Its early December and it's so far out so the chances are against it. But a reasonable threat I think for the time frame its at. 

Yep. And you really can't ask for much more at this point. From a pattern perspective it has good potential. The emotional snow weenie obviously wants assurances that it won't end up a coastal hugger or inland runner or a whiff, but they aren't going to get it and they should know that if theyve spent more than one winter following models or even this forum. 

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yep. And you really can't ask for much more at this point. From a pattern perspective it has good potential. The emotional snow weenie obviously wants assurances that it won't end up a coastal hugger or inland runner or a whiff, but they aren't going to get it and they should know that if theyve spent more than one winter following models or even this forum. 

I mean -NAO and -EPO and a + Pna next weekend . If that isn’t positive for a big coastal .. I’m not sure what is

I hear the El Nino has turn into a basin wide event. Even HM on Twitter is confirming that now from a Modoki El Nino. 

• Replying to @antmasiello

Correct me if I am wrong, but I do not think the meteorological community (notably, private mets) was expecting a canonical El Nino to develop -- a lot were banking on a Modoki... I wonder how this will impact winter forecasts, or if the canonical orientation is temporary.

2 replies0 retweets0 likes

Retweet

•  

Its development was consistent with that of the PMM / Modoki-esque warm pool EOFs back in the warm season. But yes, since then, it has become a basin-wide event. Its development was similar to other PMM events like 2014.

1 reply0 retweets2 likes

Retweet

Just now, Snow88 said:

It's not a prolonged warmup

I keep seeing people say this, but what is this based on? It could easily be a pretty mild 10-14 days. It could also only be 4-6 days. I just don't see this overwhelming evidence yet that says "it's definitely only going to be a few days". 

I think we need to pump the brakes a little. 

10 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I keep seeing people say this, but what is this based on? It could easily be a pretty mild 10-14 days. It could also only be 4-6 days. I just don't see this overwhelming evidence yet that says "it's definitely only going to be a few days". 

I think we need to pump the brakes a little. 

The mixed signals is confusing for laymen! Sorry on my behalf and the rest of the weens. 

Just looping the pv on the ensembles shows it scooting away.  My experience suggests that once this is flushed out, we don’t reorient overnight.  Maybe it won’t be a full on torch but it’s a significant pattern change that looks to me to probably last till New Years if we’re lucky and longer if we’re not.  We could get events as we did in big relaxation periods in other nino winters such as 2004-05.

12 minutes ago, weathafella said:

EPS is inside of d10.  It’s coming.

I think the best way to convey the message is that we're are definitely going to be warmer than the predominantly cold pattern we've been in the past 3-4 weeks...but there are subtleties not yet known that could make it more short lived and/or muted than otherwise. If we get more of a GOA trough with a little bit of downstream ridging then we could flirt with colder air from time to time. 

It would be nice if we knew that information already but we don't. But the anomalies overall will easily skew milder than normal from about Dec 11-12 through at least the 17-18th I think. We'll see if that's all we get. 

• Like 2