Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
11/27 - Everything and the Kitchen Sink Obs

Lava Rock

27 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Nice vid Gene. You need to plant some snow stakes around the area at specific elevations and fly the drone up to them to see how much fell where. :lol:

I saw you mention a new station. If you want my advice I'd go with this:

https://www.scaledinstruments.com/shop/davis-instruments/davis-6153-wireless-vantage-pro2-with-24-hour-fan-aspirated-radiation-shield/

If you want to splurge more than that let me know. :lol:

Brian.  Seriously I would  buy this tonight....  The problem is swapping out the old Davis station.  It is on a mast over the peak of my house.  To get to it you have to stand on my metal sunroom roof and take the mast down, unscrew the old Davis and the copper line from the lightning protection system.  Then reinstall the new Davis.  Im 62 and can't do it and there are no kids/handyman types I know of to help me swap it over.  If you know a handyman in our area I would pay him or if you have good balance and you guys want to stop by sometime just PM me.  At some point my current Davis is going to fail.  

Just now, dendrite said:

Do you have a problem with putting the Davis in the yard? There's no cords. Preferably it'd be out in one of your field areas.

I could put it out in the pasture.  You can see the layout of my property.  Trees line the fields so the wind would be low unless its a south wind.  That is why I thought 20-30 feet off the ground was much better. When wind is recorded how high off the ground should the anemometer be and how far away from the tree line?  Maybe that is what I should do.  That would be easy.  Just keep the old station up and buy a new one.  My rain gauge is not accurate anymore.  I think the wireless range is 1000 feet.

1 hour ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

It was the second and third storm last March. We had 36” at Stratton followed by another 24”. And yes Woodford is the ultimate snow spot in the southern greens. I plan on eventually buying in that vicinity. As high as possible! 

Someone was selling a cabin in Woodford  on a local FB group here in SVT.  Think it was like 38K-the foundation was failing with walls collapsing and leaning toward the lake, but hey, sacrifices need to be made for 200" 

15 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

I could put it out in the pasture.  You can see the layout of my property.  Trees line the fields so the wind would be low unless its a south wind.  That is why I thought 20-30 feet off the ground was much better. When wind is recorded how high off the ground should the anemometer be and how far away from the tree line?  Maybe that is what I should do.  That would be easy.  Just keep the old station up and buy a new one.  My rain gauge is not accurate anymore.  I think the wireless range is 1000 feet.

With the anemometer transmitter kit you can separate the anny from the main ISS, put the ISS in the field, and then put the anemometer elsewhere (like on your roof). That's the setup that I have.

https://www.scaledinstruments.com/shop/davis-instruments/davis-6332-anemometer-transmitter-kit/

Your old Davis datalogger should work fine. I'm still using the same one from my 1996 Weather Monitor II. :lol:

36 minutes ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Someone was selling a cabin in Woodford  on a local FB group here in SVT.  Think it was like 38K-the foundation was failing with walls collapsing and leaning toward the lake, but hey, sacrifices need to be made for 200" 

38k and 200”... I think I can deal with a collapsing house!

32 minutes ago, dendrite said:

With the anemometer transmitter kit you can separate the anny from the main ISS, put the ISS in the field, and then put the anemometer elsewhere (like on your roof). That's the setup that I have.

https://www.scaledinstruments.com/shop/davis-instruments/davis-6332-anemometer-transmitter-kit/

Your old Davis datalogger should work fine. I'm still using the same one from my 1996 Weather Monitor II. :lol:

Thanks,  I think I will buy it.   Also just happen to see this video that was posted on the NH Electric Coop site.  Worth watching... That is our electric company.  The bottom part of our 15 acres is the north side of Mollie Rd. So everything on the right side is our land.  This is how is was yesterday AM.  Crazy beautiful...https://www.facebook.com/NHECmembernews/videos/270239193683551/

The storm continued this evening in the mountains... nice pulse of snow late this afternoon and evening with a few inches of fresh since the last plowing. 

A fairly high-end storm for any time of the year in the NNE mountains and even NNE lower elevations it was a very note-worthy event to cap off a snowy/cold November.

Stormy, 48 hours after it started. 

LlY3rLg.jpg

32 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

Thanks,  I think I will buy it.   Also just happen to see this video that was posted on the NH Electric Coop site.  Worth watching... That is our electric company.  The bottom part of our 15 acres is the north side of Mollie Rd. So everything on the right side is our land.  This is how is was yesterday AM.  Crazy beautiful...https://www.facebook.com/NHECmembernews/videos/270239193683551/

I need that too. Gotta put the anny in the roof

Well...I got home after a week away and found over 20" in my driveway. Measuring is hard, but my depth is between 20-25". How much of that's from before this event, I don't know, but it couldn't have been much. Accounting for compaction, I likely had well over 20" for the event, including the upslope.

I'll try to get some more detailed measurements and dig through it tomorrow to try and gauge what's old vs. new. 

The journey back here from BDL was interesting. Partly cloudy and windy all the way to Greenfield with no snow except for some isolated piles left from 11/15.  As soon as I start ascending route 2 west of the Greenfield rotary, you start to get into some snow cover. 

~1K in Shelburne and Colrain looked to have several inches of crusty snow and there were pixie dust flurries in the high beams on Greenfield Road in Colrain even though the upslope was way to the west and skies were mostly clear directly overhead. It's neat how those flakes can get advected so far downstream from where they're generated. The flurries and snow pack gradually increased as I headed NW. There were lots of down branches and trees, many hanging precariously over route 112 and 100 and even on wires in west Halifax, Whitingham and Readsboro. 

Roads were snow covered by the time I got to Whitingham. It temporarily subsided to just wetness in Readsboro center as that drops to ~1.1K by the Deerfield River. The last few miles is where the upslope was most intense, reaching near moderate intensity here. It has since tapered off though.

Tried to upload photos but it won't let me anymore since my file size was decreased dramatically from before. It used to be ~10 mb, now it's 0.9 mb.

8 hours ago, wxmanmitch said:

Well...I got home after a week away and found over 20" in my driveway. Measuring is hard, but my depth is between 20-25". How much of that's from before this event, I don't know, but it couldn't have been much. Accounting for compaction, I likely had well over 20" for the event, including the upslope.

I'll try to get some more detailed measurements and dig through it tomorrow to try and gauge what's old vs. new. 

The journey back here from BDL was interesting. Partly cloudy and windy all the way to Greenfield with no snow except for some isolated piles left from 11/15.  As soon as I start ascending route 2 west of the Greenfield rotary, you start to get into some snow cover. 

~1K in Shelburne and Colrain looked to have several inches of crusty snow and there were pixie dust flurries in the high beams on Greenfield Road in Colrain even though the upslope was way to the west and skies were mostly clear directly overhead. It's neat how those flakes can get advected so far downstream from where they're generated. The flurries and snow pack gradually increased as I headed NW. There were lots of down branches and trees, many hanging precariously over route 112 and 100 and even on wires in west Halifax, Whitingham and Readsboro. 

Roads were snow covered by the time I got to Whitingham. It temporarily subsided to just wetness in Readsboro center as that drops to ~1.1K by the Deerfield River. The last few miles is where the upslope was most intense, reaching near moderate intensity here. It has since tapered off though.

Tried to upload photos but it won't let me anymore since my file size was decreased dramatically from before. It used to be ~10 mb, now it's 0.9 mb.

You have to delete some of your older large attachments to free up some more space, Its a PITA though.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, wxmanmitch said:

42 minutes ago, dryslot said:

You have to delete some of your older large attachments to free up some more space, Its a PITA though.

Dendy did the mass delete thing for several of us a few weeks ago.

33 minutes ago, mreaves said:

Dendy did the mass delete thing for several of us a few weeks ago.

I wanted to keep some of my attachments so i just went in and got rid of some of the larger size files rather then a whole slew of smaller ones, Should have a box next to ea file that you can place a check mark in then just hit delete to get rid of any number of them.

10 hours ago, wxmanmitch said:

Epic and great play by play. Looking forward to your obs all winter. I be a few miles to your NE in Jamaica on weekends.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, wxeyeNH said:

Got the drone up today for a birds eye view of our apple trees and birch trees.  Jeez all the birch that line our pastures took such a hit.  I am so anal about our view and tree line.  The birch stands around the rocks in the fields make (made) for such a picturesque view from the house.  I actually hired someone today to go around and "free" as many birch as possible but I don't think it will do much good.  They will never come back upright.  Looks like a crew with a chipper might be the way to go this spring.

I recommend not bringing in the chipper before mid-May, or maybe early June, especially if those manually-freed tops don't get re-smashed later this season.  You may be pleasantly surprised at how some of those trees recover. (emphasis on "some")   In the 1998 ice storm where I then lived, a handsome 7-8" dia. by 45' tall white birch got well bent and then had its top pinned to the snow by a larger black cherry.  I cut the cherry away a couple days later but the birch top rose only a foot or two.  A week later it had come up about 10 feet, so I tied a rope about 20 feet from its base and to a tree behind its lean, and every couple days would increase tension on the rope.  In another 3-4 weeks (and despite a moderate ice storm in late Jan) the tree had been pulled back to its pre-ice 5° lean.  It was still there when we moved in mid-May, though it couldn't survive the basal pruning by the new owners, who wanted more lawn for their young kids.  (Also wiped out a couple chestnut oaks I'd planted using acorns from that species' only natural occurrence in Maine, on Mount Agamenticus in S. York County, about 90 miles SW.)

I know you can't do that rope pull on all those meadow-fringe birches, but the fact that my specimen was rising on its own soon after being freed offers hope that some of yours may be able to spontaneously recover to near pre-paste status.  Unfortunately, meadow-edge hardwoods will always seek sun and open space, so will remain vulnerable to becoming croquet wickets in a later blue bomb.

Thanks for the tip on clearing out my attachments. I had never done it once in my time here at AmWx. It was tedious to delete all 185 of them one by one, but all good now.

Anyway, the difference between here and North Adams is simply staggering! You go from ~2 feet to nothing in ~12.5 miles with ~1,600' elevation drop. Interestingly, other parts of North Adams that aren't immediately downwind of the Mt. Greylock range had a couple inches of wet snow left, even at equivalent elevation.

The enhanced downsloping off Mt. Greylock basically ate the snow alive on the south side of North Adams and Adams. That same area isn't quite as bad in easterly flow events. The worst spot in easterly flows is undoubtably Bennington over to Hoosick Falls, NY.

47031125_1782619738516041_6689426217948413952_o.jpg

47031138_1782619488516066_6719402289355816960_o.jpg

14 minutes ago, wxmanmitch said:

Thanks for the tip on clearing out my attachments. I had never done it once in my time here at AmWx. It was tedious to delete all 185 of them one by one, but all good now.

Anyway, the difference between here and North Adams is simply staggering! You go from ~2 feet to nothing in ~12.5 miles with ~1,600' elevation drop. Interestingly, other parts of North Adams that aren't immediately downwind of the Mt. Greylock range had a couple inches of wet snow left, even at equivalent elevation.

The enhanced downsloping off Mt. Greylock basically ate the snow alive on the south side of North Adams and Adams. That same area isn't quite as bad in easterly flow events. The worst spot in easterly flows is undoubtably Bennington over to Hoosick Falls, NY.

47031125_1782619738516041_6689426217948413952_o.jpg

47031138_1782619488516066_6719402289355816960_o.jpg

No explanation needed on this bottom pic.

• Like 2

On 11/28/2018 at 7:57 PM, wxeyeNH said:

Got the drone up today for a birds eye view of our apple trees and birch trees.  Jeez all the birch that line our pastures took such a hit.  I am so anal about our view and tree line.  The birch stands around the rocks in the fields make (made) for such a picturesque view from the house.  I actually hired someone today to go around and "free" as many birch as possible but I don't think it will do much good.  They will never come back upright.  Looks like a crew with a chipper might be the way to go this spring.

...anyway here is the drone footage.  It got up to the mid 30's today so much of the snow is now off the trees as you can see in the video.  Note how below our ridgeline there is no snow while the hills and the Whites just to my north are still plastered..

PS  I made this video also for our friends that own their vacation house across the road.  That is why I flew the drone over to their front yard so they could see as they live down in Boston

PSS  New drone with zoom.  Obviously, the pilot (me) is not a very good operator yet....

Awesome Gene. I need to take pics of the birches on 395 I posted from last years cement storm, they grew at 45 degree angle this summer.  I looked at them today and thought of you

1 hour ago, Ginx snewx said:

Awesome Gene. I need to take pics of the birches on 395 I posted from last years cement storm, they grew at 45 degree angle this summer.  I looked at them today and thought of you

Steve,  they never will look great again.  Next spring I will have a tree company with a chipper machine drive around the periphery of the fields and just cut everything up.  Birch saplings grow so fast.   For the past several years as they grew I figured it was only a matter of time before an ice storm or birch bender what snow would get them.

12 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

Steve,  they never will look great again.  Next spring I will have a tree company with a chipper machine drive around the periphery of the fields and just cut everything up.  Birch saplings grow so fast.   For the past several years as they grew I figured it was only a matter of time before an ice storm or birch bender what snow would get them.

Sapling snapper, power company vid is spectacular