Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
11/27 - Everything and the Kitchen Sink Obs

Lava Rock

1 minute ago, dryslot said:

Did you use the Wildcat method of measuring?

honestly... showing 7.6! And reporting  8” new when it’s snowing another 8” and a foot at the top , is um well ....no big deal unless your strange lol

Here is the weather report with Wildcat ski area reporting 7.624 inches . I mean ....

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, backedgeapproaching said:

6.1" on .72" LE at 1100ft at new place at 8am.  Definitely an elevation gradient here in the valley.  About 1.5" at 700-750ft in the middle of town around 8am.

Total paster out there, still some Mod snow falling, probably closed to 7" now after the board clear. Definitely 12"+ in the east slope towns with elevation and at the ski areas I would think.

Just saw this, yeah Stratton is deporting 14” as of early this morning. Mid mountain cam definitely looks like well over a foot. My house for this winter is also at 1100 but on the east side right outside Jamaica so it will be interesting comparing observations.

Just now, STILL N OF PIKE said:

honestly... showing 7.6! And reporting  8” new when it’s snowing another 8” and a foot at the top , is um well ....no big deal unless your strange lol

Its well known that the ski areas like to ahh, Lets say, Run a little "High" on there totals for the customers sake...................:)

6 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Just saw this, yeah Stratton is deporting 14” as of early this morning. Mid mountain cam definitely looks like well over a foot. My house for this winter is also at 1100 but on the east side right outside Jamaica so it will be interesting comparing observations.

I'm sure there was more at your place on the east side with the upslope cooling/lift  with east flow and I was downsloping and warming and the west slopes. But, yea would be interesting to know since its similar elevations.

27 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

I’ll send you a photo at 230 near the airport 

over an inch was on ground 

but I did not send any reports or smoke crack

most melted around 4 A.M. when it switched back to a pounding rain. Grass was covered down to exit 5

Not worried about you SMOKING crack..........

14 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Nashua snow melted around 4 A.M. w flip back to rain

roads Were very poor last nite in N Nashua around 2-3am

C4C4755E-BC32-437B-A5AE-9CDB90F74130.jpeg

No worries my freind, I've seen situations like this where with heavier omega it turns to snow but then washes away as soon as the heavier omega dissappears.  Saw 1.5", then, washed away like it never happened.  Again, no worries.B)

23 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Here is the weather report with Wildcat ski area reporting 7.624 inches . I mean ....

The ski areas call it "stoke!" As a skier, I'll be visiting Wildcat, Sugarloaf and MRG webcams all day from my desk in metrowest Boston.

42 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

Surprised gyx pulled off 6.7" with little elevation

Little?! :gun_bandana:

Depending on where you are standing on the property we're within a few feet of 400 at GYX.

And you're really going to be pissed when I tell you we're actually at 7.9" storm total (we just measured before the change over arrived).

I'm back......on generator power

What a frickin storm.   11" of paste and wind.  Just took snow totals.

5.5" down at Newfound Lake   587 feet

11" my house  1100 feet  (still light snow falling)

14"   my neighbor at the 1500 feet  (he posted the ruler on his grill and it looks legit)

Most of our town does not have power.  Poles down, trees down everywhere.  Town workers are cutting trees to open the hill roads.  Amazing differences in elevation and the type of snow.  The 750 feet to 1100 feet got the damage.  Above my elevation was a bit colder so the snow didn't stick to the trees.  We lost several apple trees.  Birch are bent to the ground.  White pines sure got a trim.

Snow changed to sleet past couple of hours but back to light snow.  Davis says 33.3F but my calibrated digital says 32.0F not sure what is right but no drippage yet on trees. Maybe we can pick up a bit more accum but skies are bright.  Few pics below.  House took a plaster on east side.

apple trees.jpg

Dick Brown snow.jpg

house.jpg

Mailboxes.jpg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, OceanStWx said:

I do have to chuckle a bit at the ski resorts posting their totals this morning. Not calling any one out specifically, but Wildcat for instance posts a picture exclaiming 8" at the base with a ruler stuck in the snow. Well the ruler shows it's actually 7.6"

For all intents and purposes if you're skiing Wildcat it's about 8" but for those that diligently measure snowfall, that's some pretty serious rounding.

I see a lot of this on social media, not just from the ski resorts.  individuals will tweet their total with a picture of a ruler stuck in the snow on their deck, and do some rounding.  Do you guys use those in your PNS under "social media"?  If so, doesn't that discredit those taking actual measurements with a snow board?

27 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

It's more the trust factor. I can't really trust the reporting out of our ski resorts when I see them inflating totals. Next event do they report summit total instead of base? I don't really know. And our GIS programs here at the office can have huge differences based on elevation. We want that to be as accurate as possible so it doesn't bleed into the lower elevations.

It's also a problem that we have no relationship with ski resorts in our area. It's not like BTV at all.

11 minutes ago, tunafish said:

I see a lot of this on social media, not just from the ski resorts.  individuals will tweet their total with a picture of a ruler stuck in the snow on their deck, and do some rounding.  Do you guys use those in your PNS under "social media"?  If so, doesn't that discredit those taking actual measurements with a snow board?

We use them basically because otherwise we'd have obs from a few select towns. We need them to "fill in the gaps."

But they are also the first to get the boot when our map has bullseyes (too low or too high).

Like that ASH report. That 1.5" will get kicked out in favor of the 0.2" if the map ends up looking bad.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

I'm back......on generator power

What a frickin storm.   11" of paste and wind.  Just took snow totals.

5.5" down at Newfound Lake   587 feet

11" my house  1100 feet  (still light snow falling)

14"   my neighbor at the 1500 feet  (he posted the ruler on his grill and it looks legit)

Most of our town does not have power.  Poles down, trees down everywhere.  Town workers are cutting trees to open the hill roads.  Amazing differences in elevation and the type of snow.  The 750 feet to 1100 feet got the damage.  Above my elevation was a bit colder so the snow didn't stick to the trees.  We lost several apple trees.  Birch are bent to the ground.  White pines sure got a trim.

Snow changed to sleet past couple of hours but back to light snow.  Davis says 33.3F but my calibrated digital says 32.0F not sure what is right but no drippage yet on trees. Maybe we can pick up a bit more accum but skies are bright.  Few pics below.  House took a plaster on east side.

Great info there! I tried to estimate some lat/lon values for the 5.5" and 14" because that may help our GIS program plot a better elevation dependent snow map.