Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Nov. 25th-26th Midwest Snowstorm Potential

Malacka11

5 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

FV3 shifted south but is still north of the GFS.

Very erratic track with the low including a big jump north from OK to near KC between 54-60. If this is the future of modeling... :yikes:

Just looking at the 500mb pattern too the low should be a touch south of that track before swinging NNE once it reaches Ontario.

Looking increasingly likely that this will be a moderate to high impact event in the LOT area.  Best timing to minimize travel impacts would obviously be overnight hours but it appears it will get going before then.  There may be less snow close to the lake (especially city/south) but as mentioned earlier, the marine influence with warmer low level temps should allow for stronger winds to mix down more easily, perhaps with a period of gusts near if not over 50 mph near the shore if the models with stronger wind fields pan out.  Given that it will be a wetter snow near the lake, that is not a great combo but at least most of the leaves have fallen.

• Like 2

Be careful of using 10:1 snowfall maps (yes I know some sites only offer that) but ratios will be higher than that back in the cold air in Iowa and near the river but could be a cement snow closer to the Chicago metro area. 

Going to try to make more an effort to get back on the forums, at least with this system with it looking to be a fairly impressive event for northern IL and the LOT CWA as it looks now (as Hoosier mentioned) 

Still a lot to be worked out but hopefully some details by tomorrow nights 0z runs with partial sampling. I like where I sit with this one, maybe favoring a little more west but nearly all 0z runs shifted south to an extent. Further west should have better ratios/more cold air earlier on to help with amounts. 

Good thing though is there is a nice GOM moisture feed looking at PWAT's which Euro has been most bullish with (2.0" of liquid totals across northeast IL) on the 12z run. See if it backs off that bullish juiced run shortly.

The wind aspect is intriguing and impressive and given the pressure gradient on the northwest side of the surface low, it could be really nuts for awhile once the flip to snow occurs and regarding the flip, I could see it flip earlier given the nice UVV signal that is being shown (look at H7 UVV's on the 0z NAM run). 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

The feature that becomes the Lakes/Hudson Bay low is entirely over land now.  Still have to see how it behaves in the next couple days but the model trends have been to keep that around longer/farther south. 

The next 24 hours we should get a pretty good grasp on this one.

I'm not too concerned about ratios at this point as with the very strong winds we're going to be seeing quite a bit of granulation of the snow as it falls.  I think I'll be conservative and go with a 10:1 ratio for that reason, but at this point I'm more concerned about placement of the heavy snow axis.  NAM forecast soundings show 50-55kts as low as 925mb directly in line with the heavy snow axis.  It's certainly looking like there could be an axis of heavy snow simultaneously occurring with 50-60mph wind gusts.  Seriously wouldn't be surprised if blizzard warnings are eventually warranted for wherever that sets up.

6 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

I'm not too concerned about ratios at this point as with the very strong winds we're going to be seeing quite a bit of granulation of the snow as it falls.  I think I'll be conservative and go with a 10:1 ratio for that reason, but at this point I'm more concerned about placement of the heavy snow axis.  NAM forecast soundings show 50-55kts as low as 925mb directly in line with the heavy snow axis.  It's certainly looking like there could be an axis of heavy snow simultaneously occurring with 50-60mph wind gusts.  Seriously wouldn't be surprised if blizzard warnings are eventually warranted for wherever that sets up.

Yeah you look good out there for sure from a ratios perspective. Would be more worried into the eastern half of the LOT CWA

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Thundersnow12 said:

Yeah you look good out there for sure from a ratios perspective. Would be more worried into the eastern half of the LOT CWA

For sure, especially near the lake.  To illustrate, here is the NAM.  This is well after the changeover and it is still above freezing, and a few degrees above freezing near the water.  That being said, I'm not gonna invest too much time into figuring out how much the lake will impact the totals until the track is nailed down more.

refcmp_ptype.us_mw.thumb.png.da3eef5e1f7469717d3a50f862b8ca3f.png

sfct.us_mw.thumb.png.8e47df1d4439dafbfd613ea6bf3e6ea0.png

Just now, Hoosier said:

For sure, especially near the lake.  To illustrate, here is the NAM.  This is well after the changeover and it is still above freezing, and a few degrees above freezing near the water.  That being said, I'm not gonna invest too much time into figuring out how much the lake will impact the totals until the track is nailed down more.

refcmp_ptype.us_mw.thumb.png.da3eef5e1f7469717d3a50f862b8ca3f.png

sfct.us_mw.thumb.png.8e47df1d4439dafbfd613ea6bf3e6ea0.png

The Euro actually has a track and low evolution very similar to the NAM too.

New Euro delivers some very intense snowfall rates over southeast IA Sunday afternoon.  Blending most of the guidance together gives much of the DVN cwa warning criteria snows, with possible blizzard criteria as well.  They'll need to bump up their concern in subsequent discussions/forecasts.  They've been a bit conservative up to this point, especially for the southeast half of the cwa.  Definitely the right way to play it up to this point, but it's probably time to show a bit more concern for the southeast half of the cwa.

• Like 1

The 00z consensus sfc low track is pretty climatologically ideal for heavy snow in the Chicago area from a west to east/WSW to ENE tracking system. Not surprised given that parent wave is still out in Pacific but what a shift from earlier runs, especially the more amped/NW ones.

Plenty of details to sort out including potential for further shifts of surface low track, but if we can get something close to average of the track of 00z op runs, will feel good about a swath of heavy snow here. As has been posted at length about, winds look very impressive.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• Like 3