Weathernoob335
Nov. 25th-26th Midwest Snowstorm Potential

Malacka11

18 minutes ago, IWXwx said:

8.4" is the final total at ORD.

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE CHICAGO IL
233 PM CST MON NOV 26 2018

..TIME...   ...EVENT...      ...CITY LOCATION...     ...LAT.LON...
..DATE...   ....MAG....      ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE....
            ..REMARKS..

1200 PM     SNOW             OHARE AIRPORT           41.98N 87.90W
11/26/2018  M8.4 INCH        COOK               IL   OFFICIAL NWS OBS 

STORM TOTAL SNOWFALL. 

1200 PM     SNOW             NWS CHICAGO-ROMEOVILLE  41.60N 88.08W
11/26/2018  M2.9 INCH        WILL               IL   OFFICIAL NWS OBS 

STORM TOTAL SNOWFALL AT NWS CHICAGO IN 
            ROMEOVILLE, IL. 

Thanks for catching.

1 hour ago, IWXwx said:

8.4" is the final total at ORD.

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE CHICAGO IL
233 PM CST MON NOV 26 2018

..TIME...   ...EVENT...      ...CITY LOCATION...     ...LAT.LON...
..DATE...   ....MAG....      ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE....
            ..REMARKS..

1200 PM     SNOW             OHARE AIRPORT           41.98N 87.90W
11/26/2018  M8.4 INCH        COOK               IL   OFFICIAL NWS OBS 

STORM TOTAL SNOWFALL. 

1200 PM     SNOW             NWS CHICAGO-ROMEOVILLE  41.60N 88.08W
11/26/2018  M2.9 INCH        WILL               IL   OFFICIAL NWS OBS 

STORM TOTAL SNOWFALL AT NWS CHICAGO IN 
            ROMEOVILLE, IL. 

Funny thing, Mike Caplan and myself switch off setting the over/under at ORD with snow events. It was my turn with this one and I set the line at 8.4" lol 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sbnwx85 said:

image.png.1731f3020d2b1a372b6e87ad20bccc22.png

Maybe technically off-topic but a perk of living downwind of Lake Michigan...bonus snow.

I literally hate this map! Spent a good deal of my life living an 1/8 inch just north of Warsaw, and watching from my bedroom window, the lake effect clouds and snow falling only 3 miles to my north, while I had stars and nothing... the root of my thirst!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Hoosier said:

This is not the final map because it was still snowing in a significant part of the area at cutoff time, but it gives a general layout of where the better amounts were.

26Nov2018_24hour_snowfall.png.bad205c2c4901b5a237079b3fcd43107.png

GFS, after it finally caved back south, ended up pretty close. A lot of other models underestimated WAA (shocker) and this were way too high on accums on the south end 

77BC2BB5-65C0-4EE1-BB45-2AD7A18AE313.jpeg

GFS, after it finally caved back south, ended up pretty close. A lot of other models underestimated WAA (shocker) and this were way too high on accums on the south end 
77BC2BB5-65C0-4EE1-BB45-2AD7A18AE313.thumb.jpeg.c07e1ea51a36080bc7700f6726120509.jpeg

Yeah the trend was upping the totals down on the south side near me and in the end we got maybe a half an inch. Was still fun tracking this one with you all

50 minutes ago, weatherbo said:

I literally hate this map! Spent a good deal of my life living an 1/8 inch just north of Warsaw, and watching from my bedroom window, the lake effect clouds and snow falling only 3 miles to my north, while I had stars and nothing... the root of my thirst!

I grew up on the southeast side of the City of Elkhart. Occasionally we'd get a six inch lake-effect event but the big dogs were always west or northwest of me. I have lived in Central Illinois the last 7 winters and now I'm back in Mishawaka hoping to get a big LE event soon.

Saw some small branches, about half of a tree, and a whole tree down on my way home.  Can't imagine what the tree damage would have been like with a few more inches of snow.  Well I guess I can, based on the pics that were posted here.

Nice scene though, with the snow frozen onto the north facing side of trees, power poles, etc.

Had a few snow showers this afternoon in Indpls, but that was enough to wet the pavement.  Trucks were scheduled to go out at 11 p.m. this Monday night but had to go out early to treat the roads since temps fell to 30-32 degrees and there were 90 vehicle crashes in Indy metro in a two hour period.  In my home in the Calumet region they would pre treat roads when a storm was coming.  DPW knew we would get some backlash from this system down here so I always wonder why they don't perform a similar pre treatment down my way.  Oh, well.  Got a nice dusting on grass and rooftops here.    New update.  Now it's 150 crashes in four hours time period.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, SchaumburgStormer said:

GFS nailed the totals in the end, the Euro had the track though.

I always enjoy the radical totals that some models spit out...

Took a drive north to Stockton today and crossed over that very sharp snow gradient.  Felt sort of surreal after getting north of that line.  Almost felt like going back in time or something lol.  On the way back I ran a time lapse to capture the sharp nature of the gradient.  At the start of the video I'm near the Jo Davies/Carroll county border.  Between there and Mt. Carroll it went from nothing to about 7-8".  Snow only got deeper south of Mt Carroll.  Made for an interesting trip. :snowman:

• Like 7

Finished with 9.0" here, and peak winds gusts of 45-50mph.

Ended up with about a day and a half power outage. Lost power at ~2AM Sunday night, and didn't have it restored until around noon today.

Tree damage is the worst I can remember from a snow or ice event here, with widespread branches/limbs/trees down across much of the area. Reminds of damage in the wake of a summer bow/MCS wind event.

While not having an insanely high snow total IMBY, the snow/wind/damage combo makes this a top 5 winter storm in my books. If we could have topped 12", it probably would have ranked #1.

5 hours ago, cyclone77 said:

Took a drive north to Stockton today and crossed over that very sharp snow gradient.  Felt sort of surreal after getting north of that line.  Almost felt like going back in time or something lol.  On the way back I ran a time lapse to capture the sharp nature of the gradient.  At the start of the video I'm near the Jo Davies/Carroll county border.  Between there and Mt. Carroll it went from nothing to about 7-8".  Snow only got deeper south of Mt Carroll.  Made for an interesting trip. :snowman:

Nice vid, but you really gotta slow down.  :bike:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1