Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Nov. 25th-26th Midwest Snowstorm Potential

Malacka11

2 minutes ago, SchaumburgStormer said:

Reports of 30-40 cars stranded on I-39 near I-88. Plows are not out currently due to extreme conditions, so these people have been advised to wait it out. 

Friend I have whose dad works for IDOT said there was talk about closing parts of I-88 for a time if conditions continue deteriorating, not sure if they will but wow. That’s why you don’t drive in these conditions. 

Just now, cyclone77 said:

Thought I would have a foot by now when I went to measure a bit ago. Up to 11.8". Rates have really slowed in the last hour or so.  Picked up 0.8" in last hour and a half. Sure wish those 2"/hr rates could have lasted a little while longer lol.

Your golden for a foot. When was the last 12+ storm you’ve had?

Just now, SchaumburgStormer said:

Your golden for a foot. When was the last 12+ storm you’ve had?

GHD2 back in 2015 we had 15" IIRC. This past March we gave it a damn good run with 11" in that March 24th storm. Just north of here they had over a foot with that. I'm def feeling quite fortunate to cash in with this storm after also experiencing that March system earlier this year. Definitely won't hear me complaining the rest of the winter lol.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

GHD2 back in 2015 we had 15" IIRC. This past March we gave it a damn good run with 11" in that March 24th storm. Just north of here they had over a foot with that. I'm def feeling quite fortunate to cash in with this storm after also experiencing that March system earlier this year. Definitely won't hear me complaining the rest of the winter lol.

I had 11" with that as well north of Davenport at my moms apartment (3/24/18). GHD2 in 2015 I only got 8.8", ended up south of the main band. My mom didn't live in the cities yet, so didn't really think about "chasing" the event lol. That March 2018 event was a fun event, saw a lot of thundersnow here.

• Like 1

Snow is coming to an end north of Davenport. Still have light snow falling on the back edge of this band but the wind is actually starting to pick up again. Visibility is an issue still in open country. I'm sure tomorrow morning will yield a lot of good photo ops, but I'm also certain I won't feel like cleaning the rest of my car off or venturing out onto bad roads lol.

13 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

Thought we would have a foot by now when I went to measure a bit ago, but not quite. Up to 11.8". Rates have really slowed in the last hour or so.  Picked up 0.8" in last hour and a half. Sure wish those 2"/hr rates could have lasted a little while longer lol.

You and me both! Just had this absolutely wicked band come through here. Easily rates of 2in/hr and wind gusts of 45mph+. Visibility was half to quarter mile. It went through way too fast. Was hoping it would park over me

Screenshot_20181125-215920_RadarScope.jpg

4 minutes ago, ILwxchr said:

Snow is coming to an end north of Davenport. Still have light snow falling on the back edge of this band but the wind is actually starting to pick up again. Visibility is an issue still in open country. I'm sure tomorrow morning will yield a lot of good photo ops, but I'm also certain I won't feel like cleaning the rest of my car off or venturing out onto bad roads lol.

It's actually picked back up here and have the best rates in almost 2hrs. Looks like this last band will be the swan song though. 

• Like 2

Just now, SchaumburgStormer said:

Winds are screaming. Light to moderate snow still falling, estimating 8-9”, but it’s hard to tell with the moderate drifting. At least one of my snowboards is gone, which is impressive as it was quite a heavy piece of plywood. Also seeing power flashes off in the distance towards Dekalb. 

We've come a long way from this morning's driving rain eh? :D

3 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

We've come a long way from this morning's driving rain eh? :D

Yep. Always skeptical about these rain to snow changeovers, as they never seem to work exactly as modeled. (Usually WTOD screws us). HRRR nailed it in my backyard, only thing keeping us from the jackpot was the Fgen band setting up shop about 20 miles too far north. 

Still a couple hours of light to moderate snow to tack on another inch or two. I keep having to remind myself it is still November. 

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, StormChaser4Life said:

You and me both! Just had this absolutely wicked band come through here. Easily rates of 2in/hr and wind gusts of 45mph+. Visibility was half to quarter mile. It went through way too fast. Was hoping it would park over me

Screenshot_20181125-215920_RadarScope.jpg

I’m in Farmington, 20 miles west of you. Absolutely ripping here. No idea how much. I’m getting a lot of dirt blown in with the snow from the field to my north.