Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Nov. 25th-26th Midwest Snowstorm Potential

Malacka11

18 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Pics?

BTW I started a time lapse around 9am this morning.  Recorded about 4hrs of rain before the changeover.  Should make for a dramatic time lapse.  I stuck a cooler out in the yard directly in front of the camera.  The front portion of the cooler is exactly 12" in height, so I figured that would give sort of a crude way to show how deep the snow was getting.

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION  
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE QUAD CITIES IA IL  
638 PM CST SUN NOV 25 2018  

UPDATE  

ISSUED AT 630 PM CST SUN NOV 25 2018  

GOES IR LOOP SHOWS STRENGTHENING UPPER LOW NORTH OF ST. LOUIS   
WITH A CLASSIC COMMA HEAD OR DEFORMATION STRUCTURE ACROSS E IOWA  
AND W ILLINOIS, AND A DRY SLOT TO THE SOUTHEAST.  

HEAVY SNOW, OCCASIONAL THUNDERSNOW, AND BLIZZARD CONDITIONS WITH   
N/NW GUSTS OF 35 TO 45 MPH ARE COMMON WITHIN THE DEFORMATION ZONE.  
STRONG PVA AND UPPER DIVERGENCE DOWNSTREAM OF THE 500MB VORT. MAX  
WILL LEAD TO A STREAM OF CONVECTIVE ELEMENTS FEEDING   
NORTHWESTWARD INTO AN INTENSE BAND 700MB FRONTOGENESIS.   

THE VERY STRONG FORCING AND PRESENCE OF 50+ J/KG OF MUCAPE ARE   
SUPPORTIVE OF MESOSCALE BANDS OF THUNDERSNOW WITH INTENSE SNOWFALL  
RATES OF 1-3 INCHES PER HOUR. THE HEAVIEST BAND WILL IMPACT AREAS  
ALONG AND EAST OF A LINE FROM SOUTHERN CARROLL CO. THROUGH THE   
QUAD CITIES TO BURLINGTON OVER THE NEXT 2-4 HOURS.  

TRAVEL IN THE BLIZZARD WARNING COUNTIES AND IN THIS VERY HEAVY   
BAND OF SNOW IS HIGHLY DISCOURAGED AND MAY BECOME IMPOSSIBLE DUE   
TO ZERO VISIBILITY.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, janetjanet998 said:

all wasted so far :(  although mostly snow now on the NW side

0633 PM     HEAVY RAIN       PEORIA                  40.74N 89.61W   
11/25/2018  M1.03 INCH       PEORIA             IL   OFFICIAL NWS OBS  

RAINFALL IN THE LAST 12 HOURS 

Come on, come a bit further to the south!!!

1 minute ago, janetjanet998 said:

all wasted so far :(  although mostly snow now on the NW side

0633 PM     HEAVY RAIN       PEORIA                  40.74N 89.61W   
11/25/2018  M1.03 INCH       PEORIA             IL   OFFICIAL NWS OBS  

RAINFALL IN THE LAST 12 HOURS 

That has to be worse than getting nothing.

Just made it back home. Top 5 snowstorm of my lifetime. I chased in Eastern Iowa in that band that was stationary most of the afternoon and there was around a foot of snow on the ground when I left, the wind picked up incredibly as I was heading home and I got hit with 50 mph wind gusts and saw some thundersnow north of Davenport around sunset....felt like I was in a tropical storm/hurricane for a bit there. Saw a couple reports of 13" so far in Eastern Iowa, which matches up well with what I saw. Still ripping hard here in the QC. I tried to make it back to Galesburg tonight but the smart move was to just stay in the cities and not even attempt the drive home. Will be interested to see the final snowfall map. I got an average of about 9 inches outside my mom's apartment north of Davenport here around 6pm. Official obs are lower though, so who knows. Snowfall measurement is fickle, add in a blizzard, and its impossible.

• Like 3

A 6:45 PM CST, the temperature had fallen to 34° at Chicago's O'Hare Airport. Light snow and rain continued to fall. As of that time, 0.42" precipitation had fallen, bringing 2018's total to 44.69". As a result, 2018 surpassed 1982 when 44.68" precipitation was recorded to become Chicago's 9th wettest year on record. The City remains on track to experience only its 7th November snowstorm with 6.0" or more snow.

1 minute ago, ILwxchr said:

Just made it back home. Top 5 snowstorm of my lifetime. I chased in Eastern Iowa in that band that was stationary most of the afternoon and there was around a foot of snow on the ground when I left, the wind picked up incredibly as I was heading home and I got hit with 50 mph wind gusts and saw some thundersnow north of Davenport around sunset....felt like I was in a tropical storm/hurricane for a bit there. Saw a couple reports of 13" so far in Eastern Iowa, which matches up well with what I saw. Still ripping hard here in the QC. I tried to make it back to Galesburg tonight but the smart move was to just stay in the cities and not even attempt the drive home. Will be interested to see the final snowfall map. I got an average of about 9 inches outside my mom's apartment north of Davenport here around 6pm. Official obs are lower though, so who knows. Snowfall measurement is fickle, add in a blizzard, and its impossible.

Yeah it's definitely gonna rank high on my all-time favorite list. Still a ways to go but it's been very impressive so far. Seeing the best rates of the day right now. Surprisingly large flakes given the strong winds. Snow is still really dense/wet. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mimillman said:

Absolutely torrential rain in the loop right now. Looking forward to seeing some of the swells on the Lake tomorrow

We had obs from the old bank clock back in the day.  Do you have an accurate temperature ob there?  Just curious to see how much the urban effects and the lake are affecting things.

• Haha 3