Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Nov. 25th-26th Midwest Snowstorm Potential

Malacka11

1 minute ago, Kaner88 said:

Comparing the 06z HRRR so far thru hour 18 with previous runs looks like the main snow band has ticked south and/or the main band that lifts up through N. IL has gotten juiced up.

Through hour 22 that surface low is about 25-30 miles southwest of previous run.

Might have been a little too pessimistic with my 1-2" call earlier.  Besides the changeover time, the big question of course is temps... will it be more like 33 or 35?  That makes a difference.  Most of the snow will fall with temps above 32 except perhaps at the tail end.  Will probably make a final call later in the morning but I'd lean higher than earlier.

Just now, Hoosier said:

Might have been a little too pessimistic with my 1-2" call earlier.  Besides the changeover time, the big question of course is temps... will it be more like 33 or 35?  That makes a difference.  Most of the snow will fall with temps above 32 except perhaps at the tail end.  Will probably make a final call later in the morning but I'd lean higher than earlier.

This HRRR run is trying to get warning criteria snows down to you 

While most models are forecasting some strong winds just above the surface, the Euro is keeping the strongest (30-50 mph, gusts to 60) along the southern fringe of the steep snow line cutoff.  That combined with fairly low ratios, heavy wet snow may be why there hasn't been Blizzard warnings issued up through Illinois, not sure. 

Just now, CoalCityWxMan said:

Not to mention widespread wind gusts of 45-55MPH...quite the blizzard being depicted here. 

D7FE1B20-30F6-405E-90D0-D12D7C37B4C1.png

It'd be nice to wake up to blizzard warnings. This all still seems surreal. I remember up until a week ago, I was hoping we'd get something like this in January or February not in five days.

3 minutes ago, Kaner88 said:

Snowfall thru hour 30, still coming down in east IL into IN & MI, you get the picture. Winter wonderland not even two days removed from Thanksgiving weekend

HRRRCHI_prec_kuchsnow_030.png

I tend to err on the side of caution when the HRRR starts cranking out snow totals like that (could be my location that I always err on the side of caution lol) but if the 500mb charts it's spitting out get some backup from the other models I would take a guess and say there may be some Blizzard warnings extended into IL. just because of the travel day and morning commute on Mon.

Just now, Chicago Storm said:

Not surprising to see things shift back south once again, after many of the 0z runs jumped north.

It seems that almost every time before a sig system there is a model cycle right before that drastically changes, only to revert back.

My boss calls it the sucker hole, its been that way for years going back to the old days. It is so true though that every single major storm has that one goofy run where things  shift, sometimes radically, only to shift right back.

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, SchaumburgStormer said:

This HRRR run is trying to get warning criteria snows down to you 

I see.  Not impossible but I think that is unlikely.  Everything would have to go just right... no delayed changeover and not spending a ton of time in the mid 30s. 

I do think LOT probably expands the advisory into northwest IN, because now the slower timing means snow continuing through Monday morning.  

Just now, Hoosier said:

I see.  Not impossible but I think that is unlikely.  Everything would have to go just right... no delayed changeover and not spending a ton of time in the mid 30s. 

I do think LOT probably expands the advisory into northwest IN, because now the slower timing means snow continuing through Monday morning.  

You aren't far away, GRR even noted another slight shift to the south could happen with the modeling. It would go a long way for the both of us to get another tick south.