• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Nov. 25th-26th Midwest Snowstorm Potential

Malacka11

Just to put into perspective as well for climatology purposes for November. DTW is at 6" already for the month, if we were to get 5.9" more we would break the all time November record which is 11.8" total. 3.2" is all that is needed to break top 5 Novembers on record. I am sure Chicago is in the same boat from historical perspective.

On 11/23/2018 at 3:54 AM, RCNYILWX said:

Much better phasing at h5 led to that more northeastward oriented sfc low track.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Yep, GRR in their AFD from an hour ago mentioned that there is a potential of that outcome as well still with this system.

2 minutes ago, RCNYILWX said:

Strongest 925 mb winds modeled in a winter system here since before...2/24/16? Otherwise don't recall 60-70 kt 925 mb winds being modeled. 5b1f5e0221970a11280f128f5816d1d9.jpgf0106f8c549c3f597ae05b23ad5ada96.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Yeah it's been a few years.  I think GHD had something close but would have to check.

• Like 1

DVN:

.LONG TERM...(Saturday through Thursday)
ISSUED AT 309 AM CST Fri Nov 23 2018

Main focus of the long term period is on the potential early
season storm late Saturday night through Sunday night.

Model trends/analysis: Much uncertainty continues with a general
trend toward a southward shift in the heavier snow axis. The EC
has joined the GFS in this shift, while the parallel GFS (GFSFV3)
remains farther north. Heavy snow diagnostics, including Bufkit
soundings, support heavy snow potential with favorable omega/DGZ
profile. Can`t rule out brief period of freezing rain/sleet at
onset, but temps aloft will quickly crash with dynamic cooling.

Forecast adjustments: Slight shift to the south with slightly
higher amounts. Highest amounts of 6+ inches currently favored in
east central and southeast Iowa. Also increased wind speeds
Sunday/Sunday night and potential for blowing snow.

Confidence: Remains low with the system just coming on shore.
Variations still possible in the track and intensity.

Impacts/hazards: Potentially high with travel after the
Thanksgiving holiday. Could see periods of very low visibilities
with 1-2 inch hourly snowfall rates, resulting in very hazardous
travel. Heavy, wet snow combined with winds could result in
downed limbs and power lines.

Headlines: Opted to go with a Winter Storm Watch for a large
portion of the forecast area due to the uncertainty. Potential for
4 to 8 inch snowfall amounts in the watch area, although this is
preliminary and additional adjustments will occur as forecast
confidence increases.
IA...Winter Storm Watch from late Saturday night through Sunday
     evening for Benton-Cedar-Clinton-Iowa-Jackson-Johnson-Jones-
     Keokuk-Linn-Washington.

Winter Storm Watch from Sunday morning through Sunday evening
     for Des Moines-Henry IA-Jefferson-Lee-Louisa-Muscatine-
     Scott-Van Buren.

IL...Winter Storm Watch from late Saturday night through Sunday
     evening for Carroll.

Winter Storm Watch from Sunday morning through Sunday evening
     for Henderson-Henry IL-Mercer-Rock Island-Whiteside.

5 hours ago, Stebo said:

Just to put into perspective as well for climatology purposes for November. DTW is at 6" already for the month, if we were to get 5.9" more we would break the all time November record which is 11.8" total. 3.2" is all that is needed to break top 5 Novembers on record. I am sure Chicago is in the same boat from historical perspective.

A little farther east, and PWM has had two 6" storms in November for the first time since 1898. 

I think cyclone may have said it earlier, but it’s not a bad spot to be in when you are worried about being missed to the north or south. A bit more room for error locally. 

Either way, this is going to be a massively disruptive storm on a huge travel day. I think I have heard that Sunday is the busiest day of the year for air travel, as everyone is returning home for the work week. 

3 minutes ago, SchaumburgStormer said:

This afternoon around 3ish will be the big one. Wouldn’t surprise me to see watches hoisted around then. 

Thank you, sir. 

This storm made me join the forum :) .   Came from the old Accuweather Forums that appears to have shut down for some reason. 

25 minutes ago, SchaumburgStormer said:

Pretty good agreement with 06z GFS. Starting to get excited about this one. 

CA2D447D-A6FE-4D2E-B770-4E0935FAD283.png

Cue Aerosmith's "Livin on the Edge". In the Spring, I moved from Springfield, IL back to the area I grew up near Mishawaka, IN. This is a nail biter here in Northern Indiana. Hoping for a decent lake response to get a boost in totals if the heaviest axis of snow goes north of my location.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, hlcater said:

DVNs AFD was kinda lackluster in terms of model diagnostics. Didn’t say much other than noting a southward shift. Was hoping for more discussion than that. 06z models ticked a bit farther north, but the 12z NAM is back to being super ugly.

It's a little on the edge of the domain for calculation, but the Stony Brook ensemble sensitivity tools suggest that the weaker shortwave/low pressure combo has a tendency to favor southern solutions. A stronger shortwave coming onshore in the Pac NW this evening has a greater potential for a stronger low and cutting across (north) the temp gradient.

1 minute ago, OceanStWx said:

It's a little on the edge of the domain for calculation, but the Stony Brook ensemble sensitivity tools suggest that the weaker shortwave/low pressure combo has a tendency to favor southern solutions. A stronger shortwave coming onshore in the Pac NW this evening has a greater potential for a stronger low and cutting across (north) the temp gradient.

That’s what I was looking for. Thanks. They just mentioned the southern trend and nothing else. Thought it was odd they were that brief with it. Normally they add something else to support their forecast instead of a single trend

Just now, hlcater said:

That’s what I was looking for. Thanks. They just mentioned the southern trend and nothing else. Thought it was odd they were that brief with it. Normally they add something else to support their forecast instead of a single trend

I wouldn't throw in the towel on anything until that wave is sampled more fully this evening anyway. There is a fair amount of spread on the north side even at this shorter range.

1 minute ago, OceanStWx said:

I wouldn't throw in the towel on anything until that wave is sampled more fully this evening anyway. There is a fair amount of spread on the north side even at this shorter range.

I’m not quite discouraged yet, but the trend is not our friend here. One thing I have noticed is the feature that will become the Superior/hudson low came ashore slightly weaker than the NAM/GFS. I do dislike how it seems like it’s always a nail biter for CR.