Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Parameters for Ocean Effect Snows on Cape Cod, MA

USCAPEWEATHERAF

Just now, dendrite said:

Not odd at all. The winds were always forecast to back to a more northerly direction as the high approaches. Keep an eye on radar and keep hoping those NW-SE moving echoes start moving westward over time.

Well I know that they are supposed to move more northerly and move back westward over mid-Cape.  I just thought their movement was weird.

2 minutes ago, USCAPEWEATHERAF said:

Well I know that they are supposed to move more northerly and move back westward over mid-Cape.  I just thought their movement was weird.

Still looks like different layers of cloud movement to me. You may be getting a little deeper lift and cloud formation up into that more northerly 850mb layer now. idk what else to tell you. It's not a classic OES setup even though you have some strong delta T's.

Just now, dendrite said:

Still looks like different layers of cloud movement to me. You may be getting a little deeper lift and cloud formation up into that more northerly 850mb layer now. idk what else to tell you. It's not a classic OES setup even though you have some strong delta T's.

Delta Ts are up to +30C, that is extreme instability and ocean induced CAPE values of 1000j/kg.  Could that lead to thundersnows?

Just now, dendrite said:

There’s no way there’s moderate snow there. Probably just some widely scattered flakes.

You know SPC's mesoanalysis page, there is a parameter called Precipitation type, where numbers are the precip type, they have on their legend 7 SN-, 8 SN and 9 SN+, there are a lot of 8 and 9 numbers over the ocean in the bands.

8 minutes ago, USCAPEWEATHERAF said:

You know SPC's mesoanalysis page, there is a parameter called Precipitation type, where numbers are the precip type, they have on their legend 7 SN-, 8 SN and 9 SN+, there are a lot of 8 and 9 numbers over the ocean in the bands.

Truro and Wellfleet are out over the ocean?