• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Upstate/Eastern New York

12 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Yes please. Shear might be an issue with that low so close. It's going to retrograde. Where it retrogrades will determine where the bands set-up. 

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_33.png

That would be a new one in my years of weather watching. A low that retrogrades from the EC all the way back to Upper GL’s with enough cold air back in front of the low for a SW flow lake effect event. I suppose it’s possible if blocking is strong enough, but color me highly skeptical at this point. 

7 minutes ago, Buffalo Bumble said:

That would be a new one in my years of weather watching. A low that retrogrades from the EC all the way back to Upper GL’s with enough cold air back in front of the low for a SW flow lake effect event. I suppose it’s possible if blocking is strong enough, but color me highly skeptical at this point. 

Oh, it's way out there still and likely won't happen. But it has some decent model support, the indices support a retro. There are actually two lows, one gets stuck over the GL and the other heads off to Nova Scotia. You can see the pressure falls northwest of Ottawa. 

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_30.png 

45 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Oh, it's way out there still and likely won't happen. But it has some decent model support, the indices support a retro. There are actually two lows, one gets stuck over the GL and the other heads off to Nova Scotia. You can see the pressure falls northwest of Ottawa. 

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_30.png 

That would be great for BUF. Terrible for Roc

ECMWF Euro weeklies remain cold most weeks. 

Looks cold through early December. Mid-December the Euro weeklies show a mild break, which lines up with the EPS MJO forecast.

Euro weeklies are cold again by week 6 (week 5 EIA Fri-Thu weeks) or about December 20. The mild mid-Dec and cold end matches that 1969 analog. 

November is starting to remind me of cold years where the blocking just kept on giving more cold. We'll see, but this is a statistically favorable pattern to be in early if one likes winter.

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
National Weather Service Binghamton NY
232 PM EST Tue Nov 20 2018

NYZ018-036-037-211945-
/O.NEW.KBGM.WW.Y.0030.181121T1200Z-181122T0300Z/
Onondaga-Madison-Southern Oneida-
Including the cities of Syracuse, Hamilton, Oneida, Rome,
and Utica
232 PM EST Tue Nov 20 2018

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 7 AM TO 10 PM EST
WEDNESDAY...

* WHAT...Snow expected. Total snow accumulations of 2 to 5 inches.
  Winds gusting as high as 35 mph Wednesday afternoon and evening.

* WHERE...Onondaga, Madison, and Southern Oneida Counties.

* WHEN...Steady light snow will develop Wednesday morning, with
  lake enhanced snow showers and squalls Wednesday afternoon and
  evening, along and behind an arctic cold front. Squalls could
  produce whiteout conditions.

* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...Plan on slippery road conditions. Areas
  of blowing snow could significantly reduce visibility. The
  hazardous conditions could impact the morning or evening
  commute.

Channel 9’s timecast has a squall line moving through the Syracuse metro area between 7 and 8 AM ahead of the arctic front followed by multi bands through the day into the evening on a NW flow. They’re keeping the accumulations down with 3-5 over the Tug and only 1-3 elsewhere. 

Cannot believe I have lived in NWPA since 1980 and only this summer got a place in our county's snow capital. I thought Edinboro was a different micro climate and in the  snowbelt, by my word out there at the NY state line at our little cabin paradise it is just a different world. Stopped out after work to check before leaving. Looks like deep winter, 8 or 9" on the ground, light snow in the air, 28 degrees. At work along the lake, did leaves outside all day, upper 30's, not snow otg at all. Down here at home, several inches at best with some grass showing under the pines. I cannot wait til we build our home out there on Weeks Valley!

Headed out the door to Charlotte to visit family for the holiday. A little disappointed I won't be here for the cold white Turkey Day...:)

Anyway, wanted to wish you all a Happy Thanksgiving.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wow, really wasn't expecting a single band to develop overhead like it is and its seems to be intensifying with every refresh of the radar.  Perhaps we can squeeze out a couple inches before it heads North ahead of the CF, then it'll swing South fast, then redevelop on a NW multiband flow but I think we get our accumulation tonight, when there are no adv's.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Latest model runs have trended down for snowfall totals 2-4” most likely 

I honestly would not be shocked at a coating at best in northern Erie...ground is still relatively wet/not frozen couple with the band's movement means less than anticipated. Will probably have to wait until end of November early December for a big snow in the Niagara Frontier

• Like 1