• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Upstate/Eastern New York

A roller coaster of a pattern. This week we go from rain to rn/snow then snow. We accumulate a few to several inches, then we warm next week again into upper 40's low 50's and melt it all, then we cool once again before the holidays but then I think we head into a more sustained cold and snowy scenario or pattern for the next several weeks.

This year so far is mimicking 2002-03 to a T, a strong analog that is working like a charm so far, where November came in way below normal then Dec came and we warmed and warmed more so than we do the next couple weeks. It managed to snow a ft in Syracuse Xmas day and it was spectacular and magical looking on that Morning. It did so in a relatively warm period too, so it can snow, and may do so this yr as well, so I wouldn't discount a system for the holiday week so we'll see what happens.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Like 3

This precip is having a very hard time getting in here because of the dry air just off the deck. Let her saturate, as it'll wet bulb down to at least 31F, as the dp where I am is sitting at 26F. Its gonna get in here and the longer it takes to precipitate, the better chance we have at seeing frozen precip rather than fz/rn as sleet isn't really a possibility but plain rn is.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, TugHillMatt said:

Well, it looks like even most of the Tug will lose our snow pack by the end of this week with that UGLY system coming in. Could end up being a Green Christmas here.

That would be pretty rare and very depressing. I’ve been concerned all along about this El Niño winter of ours. I recall one from the early 80’s that crushed my soul. 

Hopefully, the smart guys from here are right and it’ll come roaring back for Jan-Feb. This pacific flow is for the birds. 

Euro long range shows about 8” in Rochester over the next 45 days. Ugh

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, rochesterdave said:

That would be pretty rare and very depressing. I’ve been concerned all along about this El Niño winter of ours. I recall one from the early 80’s that crushed my soul. 

Hopefully, the smart guys from here are right and it’ll come roaring back for Jan-Feb. This pacific flow is for the birds. 

Euro long range shows about 8” in Rochester over the next 45 days. Ugh

Yeah, I'm actually getting a little worried as well. Tossing December is never good for above normal snowfall in Upstate. It's a pretty important month, especially for Buffalo. 

2 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Yeah, I was thinking the same today perusing the op models. Maybe upstate will sneak in a minor event before the calendar flips, but not seeing any sustained winter weather before then. 

Not so sure, Wolfie. Snow depth averages 4 to 6 inches with grass showing up under thick pines and steep southern exposed slopes. A couple days of 40s and a big rain will destroy it this week.

Much of that snow shown on those maps is from lake involvement...and we have seen how lame the lake effect season has been. With such quick flow and wind changes, it hasn't allowed for much...other than the Watertown event.

49 minutes ago, wolfie09 said:

It would take a lot for this upcoming storm to be mostly frozen but a good start would be a trend towards the ukmet, which goes through E/C NY..

ezgif.com-resize (18).gif

UKie has been in the eastern camp. Euro was kinda east too. But I think this one is cooked. Just so little cold available. 

• Like 1