• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Upstate/Eastern New York

I'll tell you what, all the in-house models on WIVB 4 and WKBW 7 show the band into the metro and Northtowns from about 5am to noon. Oddly Todd on 4 is only saying 2-4 for metro and 1-3 for Niagara county...just alone if rates are what is being forecast of 1-2" hour then double those totals to each sector and that would be logical.

A look at some of the Ohio DOT cams near the Cuyahoga Valley National Park and Boston Heights area showing that localized #Cleveland #Effect #Snow band as of midday. Could see some accumulations with that band. http://www.ohgo.com  #OHwx #PAwx #Ohio #ThisIsCLE #CLEwx #NWS

Dtl6KUpWsAA8rBP.jpg

Dtl6P1dXQAEb1Qy.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Thinksnow18 said:

I'll tell you what, all the in-house models on WIVB 4 and WKBW 7 show the band into the metro and Northtowns from about 5am to noon. Oddly Todd on 4 is only saying 2-4 for metro and 1-3 for Niagara county...just alone if rates are what is being forecast of 1-2" hour then double those totals to each sector and that would be logical.

You really gotta take their snow totals with a grain of salt. I like Todd Santos personality and think he is great for an on air met but their snow maps and correlation between what their own in house models show and what forecast map they come up with is just puzzling. Honestly channel 7 has the best mets now and I am beginning more and more to watch them for weathercasts even though I've been a loyal channel 4 guy my entire life (especially since the start of the WIVB blog 10+ years ago). 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, WesterlyWx said:

You really gotta take their snow totals with a grain of salt. I like Todd Santos personality and think he is great for an on air met but their snow maps and correlation between what their own in house models show and what forecast map they come up with is just puzzling. Honestly channel 7 has the best mets now and I am beginning more and more to watch them for weathercasts even though I've been a loyal channel 4 guy my entire life (especially since the start of the WIVB blog 10+ years ago). 

They have an all star team. Andy Parker was the only Met to predict the October storm 2-3 days in advance. Parker, Paul, and Mentkowski>all the mets on the other 2 channels. I don't even bother with the other 2 stations, they're beyond terrible. Santos is the only one that is close to decent. 

• Like 1

Band placement is gonna be the variable on this one for sure. All 3 of the locals are showing the band pretty far north early Thursday almost a SSW flow going into Niagara County. Seems the traditional models keep the band more over the metro and are more generous with the snow accumulations. The NWS and all the locals really aren’t advertising much in the way of accumulations. I will say it is a bit odd. Ch4 model is showing the band on the north side of the city for 6 hours from 5-11 but only calling for 1-3”?

16 minutes ago, wolfie09 said:

0z 3K nam not as friendly..

General 3"-6" at 10-1..

download.png

Looks more right, goes from 1 foot to 4 inches. Gonna go with 2-4" for Buffalo. Max of 5" in Williamsville/Clarence 2" in south Buffalo and West Seneca. 3" in Hamburg. Yawn! Between this boring weather, the Bills, and the Sabres, someone wake me up January 1st. Thanks!

1 minute ago, wolfie09 said:

Rgem still a very nice hit for the metro, really likes the SW flow..

rgem_apcpn_neus_48.png

I have to think this is a classic setup for the metro as the winds are going full fetch up the lake. That has, in the past, overcome not so great parameters. Will be interested in the placement of the NAM tomorrow morning.

2 minutes ago, wolfie09 said:

Rgem still a very nice hit for the metro, really likes the SW flow..

rgem_apcpn_neus_48.png

Trust me the hi res nam has it nailed down. Bullseye on the Chautauqua Ridge with a lesser secondary maxima over the northtowns with a nice hole right over South Buffalo and West Seneca. Happens almost every event lately. 

Kind of a glancing blow  on the HIRES NAM, by the time it gets juicy its heading south.  Still looks like a Solid 3 hours for Northern Erie which could be 6 inches or so.   If it can get started earlier than that model depicts it might overachieve.   Also, It does come right near rush hour which should be taken into account when they drop watches.  I'm pulling for you guys.  

nam3km_mslp_pcpn_frzn_neus_fh30-46.thumb.gif.6ffec2c615f36acc4c77cfbb7fdf9a3c.gif

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM MIDNIGHT TONIGHT TO
1 AM EST FRIDAY...

* WHAT...Occasional lake effect snow expected. Total snow
  accumulations of 5 to 10 inches are expected in the most
  persistent lake snows, with the greatest amounts expected
  across the Tug Hill.

* WHERE...The Eastern Lake Ontario Region.

* WHEN...From midnight tonight to 1 AM EST Friday.

* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...Travel conditions could be hazardous at
  times, and could impact the morning or evening commute.

StormTotalSnowWeb.png

Neat meso low spinning on Erie north of Cleveland this morning. Can’t post radar gif for some reason. Makes me a bit nervous for tomorrow as 3k NAM showed this meso perfectly on the money yesterday and that is the one model being hesitant on bringing the metro good snow tomorrow. RGEM and HRDPS and solid hits. Guess we will have to wait and see!

• Like 1