joxey
Upstate/Eastern New York

LMAO

East of Lake Ontario...there`s still quite a bit of uncertainty east
of Lake Ontario however, as flow initially is still offshore early
Tuesday as what`s left of the original low moves toward the east end
of the Lake. Flow then gradually becomes more supportive of lake
effect, but not til later Tuesday night or even Wednesday. Will
therefore leave the watch in effect due to lower confidence.

Looks like  KBUF is forgetting about tomorrow altogether, interesting.  On to Wed-Thurs when most snow will fall!

House looks to be in a really good spot.

The cabin appears to be locked and loaded for a pretty big snow. Will definitely be out there Tues and Weds night. May go tonight. Will take some photos and provide updates from the western end of the chautauqua ridge (just west of Peek Peak and just north of the Wilderness Lodge resorts) 

image.png.163aaeda2ff9b86b2214f91191ddf06d.png

Expected Snowfall - Official NWS Forecast

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, MAIDEsNow said:

The cabin appears to be locked and loaded for a pretty big snow. Will definitely be out there Tues and Weds night. May go tonight. Will take some photos and provide updates from the western end of the chautauqua ridge (just west of Peek Peak and just north of the Wilderness Lodge resorts) 

Awesome! Enjoy

Hmm, hoping this isn't a winter of all NW flow events....still primed to get quite a bit of snow here. Sure hasn't been much westerly wind though.

We lost ALOT of snow in the Tug this weekend. More than I thought we would. Still a 4 to 6 inch base of water-logged snow. That is down from the 16 to 20 inch base we had just a few days ago.

Observations on trip home from TN yesterday (taken late last night): No snow pack until the Elk county, pa and Bradford, pa areas. Solid snow cover along 86. Second deepest snowpack of the trip was on the hills between Allegany and Dansville. Came down the hill on 36 and snowpack disappeared immediately in Dansville proper. Just a few patches from there up 390 to Rochester. This continued on 90 until Van Buren. Then snowpack increased from there up I 81 to the Parish exit where we got off. Even in this area, there were large patches of grass amongst a general snowpack. Solid snowcover did not return until we got to Amboy/Williamstown area. Then up 17 snowpack kept getting deeper as we arrived to Redfield. Even where I live, up the hill from Redfield, we have more snow than down in town.

Temps varied from 31 down in the higher elevations of the Southern Tier to mid to upoer 30s in the Finger Lakes to 42 along 90 in Rochester area over towards Syracuse, then dropped to the mid 30s once we got to the Tug, with 34 at my house.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

Hmm, hoping this isn't a winter of all NW flow events....still primed to get quite a bit of snow here. Sure hasn't been much westerly wind though.

We lost ALOT of snow in the Tug this weekend. More than I thought we would. Still a 4 to 6 inch base of water-logged snow. That is down from the 16 to 20 inch base we had just a few days ago.

Observations on trip home from TN yesterday (taken late last night): No snow pack until the Elk county, pa and Bradford, pa areas. Solid snow cover along 86. Second deepest snowpack of the trip was on the hills between Allegany and Dansville. Came down the hill on 36 and snowpack disappeared immediately in Dansville proper. Just a few patches from there up 390 to Rochester. This continued on 90 until Van Buren. Then snowpack increased from there up I 81 to the Parish exit where we got off. Even in this area, there were large patches of grass amongst a general snowpack. Solid snowcover did not return until we got to Amboy/Williamstown area. Then up 17 snowpack kept getting deeper as we arrived to Redfield. Even where I live, up the hill from Redfield, we have more snow than down in town.

Temps varied from 31 down in the higher elevations of the Southern Tier to mid to upoer 30s in the Finger Lakes to 42 along 90 in Rochester area over towards Syracuse, then dropped to the mid 30s once we got to the Tug, with 34 at my house.

This map is updated daily for snow depth.

sd1_today.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MAIDEsNow said:

Both houses should be in a good spot for this event, looking forward to see which one gets more. I'd wager the one on the ridge in Chautauqua county. 

31 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Euro weeklies look toasty in weeks 3 and 4. Thinking short weather for Christmas around these parts. It's warm from Mid December to the first week of January which coincides with the MJO cycle. 

That seems to be happening a lot in recent years, as in the past decade plus. Pretty sure it’s just random probability distribution as nothing else makes sense, but it kind of $ucks timing wise. It’s like we get a pre-January thaw, or the January thaw happens in mid/late December. I could be off on this but that’s my perception anyway.

31 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Euro weeklies look toasty in weeks 3 and 4. Thinking short weather for Christmas around these parts. It's warm from Mid December to the first week of January which coincides with the MJO cycle. 

Are we currently in phase 8? If so where is the consistent cold? I guess I look at it this way if aren't scoring at the lower elevations, and we've had chances, then we might as well pull for a trend to milder conditions which will lengthen the lake effect opportunities in January.

Subbed a bit early, lol, had to.  This is starting to look better and better for So Oswego cty and with the band meandering in the same vicinity for 2.5 days.  Suffice to say that if it gets stuck over one area, someone can get quite a bit of snow!  Oswego is looking a bit better but I think to your South will be the lion share but time will tell!

1 minute ago, wolfie09 said:

Definitely some elevation dependency going on..

Although i'm only at 600 feet asl and the models have me on the edge of decent accumulations..

I think elevation will be the key with this one, with marginal temps.  It’s still November after all so can’t get despondent about it. 6 or 7” isn’t unreasonable IMBY which would put us close to 30” for the month, with a Nov avg of about 9”.  Pretty Boss overall. Now let’s queue up that Joe Bastardi ditty about the “weather in November the winter remembers...”or something like that. 

• Like 1