Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
November/December Medium/Long Range Disco

WinterWxLuvr

12 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

EPS at 216 is absolutely classic for  MA snowstorms. Ridge axis across  Idaho and shortwave passing to our south with a trough near 50/50.

Nice to see the synoptic pattern supporting the modeled outcome from the Euro ensembles and the OP. 

Snow cover by the end of next week might be nuts.

Already I think NA and the US are setting records for snow cover. Seems the upcoming winter is intent on laying down it's cover early.

I love seeing the snow cover so extensive. It holds promise for later in the month too if the relax is indeed brief.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pasnownut said:

IF that HP is as big as modeled, no doubt that will play into CAD and front end thumpage potential.

Agreed. But if it doesnt get out of the way in time we could be screaming about Richmond. Still a long ways to go. Just glad we have a something that is going to track under us to watch.

2 minutes ago, yoda said:

Credit @griteater

Notice how the vortex and/or trough never sets up over AK? Just 3 days ago or so that closed h5 contour was parked right over AK. It's been subtle and gradual but the Pac is moving away from the idea that winter will get put on hold in these parts. I do expect a boring mild period to set up but things are looking better every day that goes by. 

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Notice how the vortex and/or trough never sets up over AK? Just 3 days ago or so that closed h5 contour was parked right over AK. It's been subtle and gradual but the Pac is moving away from the idea that winter will get put on hold in these parts. I do expect a boring mild period to set up but things are looking better every day that goes by. 

It's *starting* to behave like you'd expect a pacific would in an El Nino.  I was never a believer that a vortex would set up long term over AK...even if it does, it'll be very short lived.  Good to see the models trending in the right direction.  

• Like 1

I would imagine that with the strength of that vortex once it moves just a hair west there would be a pretty strong reaction.  It's one way to quickly replace any snow cover lost in Canada from the warm spell....You can just envision a serious EPO/PNA ridge that would pump plenty of heat poleward and put us into a pretty prolonged pattern of cold.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WxUSAF said:

EPS at 216 is absolutely classic for  MA snowstorms. Ridge axis across  Idaho and shortwave passing to our south with a trough near 50/50.

Compared to previous runs, there is also more pronounced ridging over GL, and a stronger, more consolidated piece of the PV underneath. Pretty impressive.

• Like 1

Here's the DC meteo from the 12z euro ens. Pretty much a complete bail on the 5th but a significant increase in support for the next one. By far the best eps run so far but as the graph shows, about half of the eps members are still a no go. 

UuLip2r.jpg

I scanned through the members and the big hits are mostly classic (and believable) tracks and setups. Very good run. A long ways to go but for d8+ there's enough support to suck us all down the rabbit hole...until 0z lol

Eta: forgot to add this point... There's really not much spread in timing with the members. That's always a good sign. When you see large timing spread it means there are a lot of variables that affect the evolution. Not the case with the 12z run. Op, control, and many ensemble members agree on the solution. 

• Like 2

@Bob Chill I picked through most of the members as well....it seemed to me that the key is having a decent high in the right place as a lot of the members that snowed had a low that runs inland of NC.  Not the typical DC track unless you have a stout..banana high.  Honestly it was a casual look at the members but something I noticed.  Not that having a stout high in place for a good snow storm is news breaking but some of the runs have wavered with the strength this high....

A lot more goes into pulling this storm into a stout HP but its a good sign seeing a fair amount of the members having this classic look to the HP and placement.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic