Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
November/December Medium/Long Range Disco

WinterWxLuvr

11 minutes ago, high risk said:

Yes, but it will not be concurrent with the switch of the GFS to the FV3 core.    The GEFS upgrade to FV3 is still over a year away.

Ugh....so we will still be using the same gefs even once the gfs op is gone?  I'm really looking forward to that upgrade...more than the op. 

2 minutes ago, Ji said:

we need to move forward 5 days in our lives. The 10 day to 5 day wait is the worst

Yes it is...it is a psychological battle of model swings and trying not to get too invested either direction knowing it's not set in stone. But again...I blame the last two winters for this, lol (especially when somebody say "northern stream"...although as @Bob Chill said, in this case that has potential to either help or hurt...making this chase a little more maddening, lol)

50 minutes ago, mappy said:

hahahaha i think that would be even worse. 

234hr panel looks amazingly wet and moist and... 

A pair of double-barrel bombing lows supported by a deep moisture fetch from the Gulf.....

Speaking of weather models -- what's the consensus on the FV3's biases if any are known so far? I've seen some mentions here and there but not sure if we have a general feel yet for what to watch out for in our area.

1 hour ago, mappy said:

hahahaha i think that would be even worse. 

234hr panel looks amazingly wet and moist and... 

Holy Mappy!! Just catching up. And now I “2 eyes looking left emoji” need a minute alone...

This winter is going to be insane...:lol:

Eta: Just want to make sure we weren’t in storm mode? Asking for a friend. 

1 minute ago, pasnownut said:

Why wouldn't they want to incorporate and updates into the current GEFS.  Too much math?  j/k

ha!    There is no way (in terms of manpower and computer resources)  to do the complete set of retrospective testing and evaluation that needs to be done (much of the past 3 years were rerun with the FV3GFS and assessed as part of the validation) for both the GFS and GEFS systems concurrently.

• Thanks 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic