Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Nov 15/16 First Weenie Obs

RUNNAWAYICEBERG

1 hour ago, sbos_wx said:

My brain is going to explode. Especially since I was in contact with NWS to become Logan's spotter. I can't commit to it with my work schedule. Makes me extremely salty. Would have been an honor to do it.

How cold did you get at your place at the peak of the rates?

15 minutes ago, sbos_wx said:

It really has to be a retirement job. Or you have to work from home. You're the spotter for an international airport. Plus you have to be reliable, and I think knowledge of the local microclimate obviously helps. I fit into the criteria in terms of location. But not schedule. They do a full site visit (which I didn't have them do once I understood I didn't meet the requirement) and everything, there was some concern about density and reliability of accurate reporting. 

Disclosure: I usually do not measure directly in my backyard, but usually the green space about 50 feet down the street in the open. It's very tough when you have high winds. Scott can attest. It's the green park area from the high-rise to I Street that has no houses on Day Boulevard.

Obviously siting is huge, as trees and buildings can alter patterns of snow fall and drifting. But it is a huge time commitment. No jetting off to Florida for the winter, and if you do happen to take a vacation (even over the holidays) you better be sure you have a reliable back up to come to your place and take the measurements.

The ideal I guess is retired NWS, which is what we have for PWM. 

i'm more impressed by the way the storm delivered the snow than the amounts themselves. son of sandy and vet's day both had ccb snow from deep closed lows which is what you'd expect for an anomalously early snowstorm. this was a mid winter-like SW flow event

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, CT Rain said:

Son of Sandy too was a foot down in parts of coastal CT

Yeah that was impressive. The interesting thing about CT is that you can do ok with a NE wind at times since it’s not a true water component. Seems like it happens more often than not, west of HVN. I always found that really cool.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, forkyfork said:

i'm more impressed by the way the storm delivered the snow than the amounts themselves. son of sandy and vet's day both had ccb snow from deep closed lows which is what you'd expect for an anomalously early snowstorm. this was a mid winter-like SW flow event

Did you notice models really backed winds as  you got to Thursday? Something I noticed. That sure helped.

28 minutes ago, dendrite said:

How cold did you get at your place at the peak of the rates?

35 or 36 peak rates. It snowed full on at 37 but it was giant aggregates and nothing was accumulating. I think it was 35f before, dropped to around 34f at most in early portions. Then snow hole hit and lighter rates we mixed. Was a flip flop after that. 

38 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Jesus. Let’s hope this doesn’t shut  off next month lol.

Ha I'm worried when this goes the other way.

But I cannot get over the scene outside.  We just walked out to get some sushi and it's snowing a steady light snow (1.5 mile vis at the ASOS) that's accumulating nicely because it's been so damn cold... and with no wind every tree is caked white.  The snow in the yard is over my boots and probably around 10-11" deep...plow piles are substantial due to high moisture content snow in the last event...and it's like a holiday post card in town.

I'd take this look outside right now on January 16th, no questions asked.  Pure winter.  But it's November 16th.

3 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Ha I'm worried when this goes the other way.

But I cannot get over the scene outside.  We just walked out to get some sushi and it's snowing a steady light snow (1.5 mile vis at the ASOS) that's accumulating nicely because it's been so damn cold... and with no wind every tree is caked white.  The snow in the yard is over my boots and probably around 10-11" deep...plow piles are substantial due to high moisture content snow in the last event...and it's like a holiday post card in town.

I'd take this look outside right now on January 16th, no questions asked.  Pure winter.  But it's November 16th.

Need one more inch to get that foot

29 minutes ago, forkyfork said:

Testament to how anomalously cold the antecedent air mass was.  The warm SST, for the time of year, likely helped increase snow totals.

• Like 1

Just now, Baroclinic Zone said:

As we got within 48 hours, I was watching the placement of the H and it's intensity.  That thing was basically anchored over NNE. 

It trended slower and slower in sliding east. I think when precip was hitting the south coast it was still pretty close to caribou/Houlton. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

Yeah that was impressive. The interesting thing about CT is that you can do ok with a NE wind at times since it’s not a true water component. Seems like it happens more often than not, west of HVN. I always found that really cool.

Yeah a NE wind is good for HVN. Once you start going more ENE you pork SE CT as some milder air starts to come in with that easterly component. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sbos_wx said:

35 or 36 peak rates. It snowed full on at 37 but it was giant aggregates and nothing was accumulating. I think it was 35f before, dropped to around 34f at most in early portions. Then snow hole hit and lighter rates we mixed. Was a flip flop after that. 

That's your place or you're using BOS?

22 hours ago, geo1 said:

Crazy stuff Ray, I can not remember this much snow so early in the season. I’m sure we had it but.. and thundersnow on top epic!

Wilmington def. had 2" more than I did....measured 6.5" remaining at my mom's house tonight...I have 4.5" left of my 6.5" total.

They def. had 8.5".

3 hours ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Wilmington def. had 2" more than I did....measured 6.5" remaining at my mom's house tonight...I have 4.5" left of my 6.5" total.

They def. had 8.5".

How does this one compare with the post Sandy storm in 2012?  That one was a week earlier and the amounts were comparable for us, though the Island did better with that storm (not by a lot though.)  This one was way more disruptive though, probably because that season had already been disrupted a lot.

7 hours ago, CT Rain said:

Yeah a NE wind is good for HVN. Once you start going more ENE you pork SE CT as some milder air starts to come in with that easterly component. 

I always thought of HVN as being the snow hotspot of coastal CT because of its central location, not too far east or west.  The snowfall maxima on Long Island is due south of HVN also.

8 hours ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Testament to how anomalously cold the antecedent air mass was.  The warm SST, for the time of year, likely helped increase snow totals.

Reminded me of November 1989 type cold right before the Thanksgiving snowstorm.  The cold lasted through December, unfortunately the snow did not for us anyway.

8 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

It trended slower and slower in sliding east. I think when precip was hitting the south coast it was still pretty close to caribou/Houlton. 

Will what was the reason for coastal hugger track?  How much more snow would there have been had there been more of a classic benchmark type track like November 1989?