Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Nov 15/16 First Weenie Obs

RUNNAWAYICEBERG

2 hours ago, tamarack said:

Measured 2.2" of 10:1 powder at 7 AM, with light snow grains at 20°.  5 AM flakes looked much better.  Expect to finish with 4-5" instead of the 7-8 forecast yesterday - easier to shovel out the woodpile.  Jackpot looks to be in SE NY - the HV area between I-84 and Tappan Zee got smoked, lots of 12-14" reports including 13.5 at Walden, where my wife's grandparents lived.  Top spot in NJ so far is 9", in the town where I grew up.

For some reason, the oak leaves that withstood all the wind earlier this week have yielded to today's light winds and snow.  Leaves were blowing around on the roads as I drove in (snow covered pavement but no problems) and leaves from the large oak by the office building here have almost covered the ground. 

2" hr rates for a good 5 hrs straight. Most of the snow fell between 3-9pm. 1-2" backside snow this morning. Finished with 11" imby

53 minutes ago, mreaves said:

We had 14" on Thanksgiving a couple of years ago.

True but that wasn't sustained winter like this. That was a one off event, though real fun. 

There's like 18" on the ground at the base of the ski resort for just settled snow now.  And it's all been fairly QPF heavy too.  This stuff won't be going anywhere anytime soon.

2 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

1.15 melted equivalent. Heavy heavy stuff. I snowblew the driveway a little problem with the back, had to sit down every 15 minutes but ok. Wife did all the shoveling.  Awesome event cept the leaves from that tremendous gust which rocked the house. Lots of branches down in the woods and back yard. That will have to wait until spring when I am better

20181116_070139.jpg

That’s what my yard looks like snow wise.  6.3 and maybe another 0.5 I didn’t measure but well compacted now.  Chilly outt...back down to 31 after spiking at  40.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Yukon Cornelius said:

just about 8" here in Barre.  That last blast of chutes was just enough to cover up the leaf disaster.

I measured 7-7.5" in my front yard this morning, but that was after compaction and sleet (but before the backlash).  Not sure what the highest amount would have been, but I couldn't be up for it, so I'm calling it 7.5"

38 minutes ago, snywx said:

2" hr rates for a good 5 hrs straight. Most of the snow fell between 3-9pm. 1-2" backside snow this morning. Finished with 11" imby

oh ya, it was thunderdome down here.  combination of surprising significant snowfall, heavy burst just as everyone hit the road, leaves underneath it all, and inexperienced drivers.  40 minute commute took 6 hours.  never seen so many disabled vehicles blocking roadways everywhere.  by the time I got home, the snow had compacted from heavy rain but there was at least 6", more likely 8"at my house.

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

Diane how much snow did you get?

Started as white rain maybe for an hour or 2, no accums...in the end temp spiked to 51 and i picked up about 2.35 inches of rain...

I live about a mile or 1.5mi SE of where Plymouth South Highschool is located, and they were puking accumulating snow for a few hours...they had about 3 inches when i was basically rain...so weird being so close to the boundary. I kept thinking i wish I were a super nerd so i could launch a bunch of sensors and map the boundary in real time...it was insane...i felt like it was so abrupt like when you take a picture of yourself standing on a state boundary where one foot is in one state and one foot is in another state.

38 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

They cancelled school up here. Bunch of wuss bags.

We got totally spoiled by our 9.7 years in Ft. Kent - in that entire period a total of 1.5 days were called for snow (or any other wx.)  A Feb 1984 storm forecast as 1-3" dumped 18" in 9 hr, and cost the full day as they couldn't get the buses plowed out.  Six weeks later there was school on a day with 6" overnight and another 6+ forecast, but with 3"/hr and 14" storm total by noon, they closed at the halfway point.  All the kids got home, with no issues AFAIK, and the 25 miles to Winterville has some major ups and downs.  (Bus did get stuck several times while trying to turn around on our back settlement road, but the plow was about 5 minutes behind :axe: and would pull the bus onto the road.)  
Shortly after we moved to south of Augusta there was a small ZR event.  Our son walked back home to say he'd missed the bus, but when we got to the Jr. High there was nobody there.  School closing hadn't even crossed our mind.

they didnt let schools out early here yesterday afternoon and many kids were stuck on buses for hours. 

News this morning showed kids in NNJ being very early to school - because they'd had to stay there overnight.

2 minutes ago, #NoPoles said:

Started as white rain maybe for an hour or 2, no accums...in the end temp spiked to 51 and i picked up about 2.35 inches of rain...

I live about a mile or 1.5mi SE of where Plymouth South Highschool is located, and they were puking accumulating snow for a few hours...they had about 3 inches when i was basically rain...so weird being so close to the boundary. I kept thinking i wish I were a super nerd so i could launch a bunch of sensors and map the boundary in real time...it was insane...i felt like it was so abrupt like when you take a picture of yourself standing on a state boundary where one foot is in one state and one foot is in another state.

How in the hell did you not get any accumulation?  Even Cape Cod saw some.

...Barnstable County...
   East Sandwich          3.4   745 AM 11/16  Co-Op Observer
   3 NNW Falmouth         2.5   700 AM 11/16  CoCoRaHS
   5 N Falmouth           2.3   700 AM 11/16  CoCoRaHS
   Sandwich               2.3  1101 PM 11/15  NWS Employee
   6 N Falmouth           2.3  1045 PM 11/15  CoCoRaHS
   5 S Bourne             1.5   526 AM 11/16  CoCoRaHS
   Marstons Mills         1.3  1006 PM 11/15  Ham Radio
   3 NE Falmouth          1.1   653 AM 11/16  CoCoRaHS
   Forestdale             1.0   847 PM 11/15  Ham Radio
   3 W Barnstable         1.0   700 AM 11/16  CoCoRaHS
   1 S Yarmouth           1.0   800 AM 11/16  CoCoRaHS
   2 WSW Mashpee          1.0   845 AM 11/16  CoCoRaHS

9 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

...Barnstable County...

That’s what I was thinking too. The magic of James strikes again? 

BTW, in order to be fair and open...I blew the cape too. Didn’t think much of anything. Respect the cold.

17 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

...Barnstable County...

Nothing ever accumulated on any of the pavement, nothing even accumulated on my porch...i did get about a half inch of glop on my grass and roof of my car...but then it was just rain

2 hours ago, dryslot said:

If we only had a few more hours of this, Ripping +SN out there right now

RAD_KGYX_N0R_ANI1_zps3cmrxtd7.gif

Yeah--it worked out okay in the end.  I had some doubts this morning--lack of exterior lights, ftl.  I'm guessing we have 5-6.  Tough to tell with all the blowing.  

Quite the chop on the river this afternoon!