Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
Nov 15/16 First Weenie Obs

RUNNAWAYICEBERG

10 minutes ago, Greg said:

Seriously? You by the waters edge coming it at about half a foot of snow.  Now that is truely an underforecast! Wow, enjoy my friend. Winter is now here.

So I’m about 2ish+  miles south of ocean. But ESE winds traverse a lot of land from here to the beaches. I think that helped. I’m 125’ and that can help a few tenths of a degree too.

Rare to get an over-performer DC to Bos, let alone in November

2-4" Boston metro inside 128 / 4-8" interior MA held up pretty well, and clearly too low in a few spots... frankly I'm most surprised by the totals right on the water. 

We did great here, but relatively to what guidance showed, I think the biggest overperformance was Philly-NYC.

Some Memento tattoos to write from the storm:

- GFS was horrible. Even 12z today hours before onset was a joke. Completely ignorable.

- Euro / RGEM / NAM were very good with this, wild snow maps notwithstanding, but even those wild maps were closer to truth than the dry runs. The consensus for a bigger hit was pretty good yesterday, the cooling trends at H8-H7 were steady, the anomalous cold and well-placed high were there, the QPF was never in doubt, the 5z-6z time of flip was accurate... this was actually a well modeled storm. And as I commented last night, I think the calendar month + the dry GFS were keeping people gunshy.

- advance of the CF was one of the more uncertain aspects of this, and Euro did better than RGEM

1 minute ago, geo1 said:

I got an average of 8” unfortunately I had to use a tape measure. I have the yard stick at work. Coming home tomorrow. With this beginning I think it will be used a lot hopefully. Pingers went back to snow so if we get any back end stuff could get higher.

8.3" here. Looks like we did quite alright!  Enjoy and have a great night.:snowing:

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ice1972 said:

Precip shut off quickly enough that the pack didn’t get tainted too much....just enough to lock in.....gonna need to follow this up though to get the pack going....I’m looking to best my all time of 30” late Jan 2011.....great start

How much did you get?

Just now, ice1972 said:

Oh today? I’m going with 6” but the Pings started before I got out there so maybe it was a bit more?  I mean I’m less than 2 miles from the station so.....what did you guys get over there?

I measured 8.0" actually. Had 1.00" of liquid in there too but there was some freezing rain and sleet on top. 

17 minutes ago, CT Rain said:

I measured 8.0" actually. Had 1.00" of liquid in there too but there was some freezing rain and sleet on top. 

Ya that’s consistent with the pingers that came at the end and then I just went back out to get my contact lens case out of the car and it was heavy ZR.....no doubt.....how great is this storm...all time for every opposite reason 2011 was an all-time.....