Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
11/15-11/16 Coastal Storm Observation Thread

NJwx85

50 minutes ago, JerseyWx said:

@rgwp96 7" here on the dot with an icy crust on top, we were forecast to get a few inches just a couple of days ago.  Never went to rain, just sleet.  Impressive storm for November 15th.

Amazing how ill prepared this state was (the metro as a whole really).  We've had far worse storms that were handled better.

Think it had to do more with toming  and intensity and the type of snow itself .  Snow seemed very grainy and icy texture . Probably low ratios . Snow stuck almost instantly to pavement .  Also started as heavy sleet for about 15-20 minutes  before switching to snow 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, rgwp96 said:

Think it had to do more with toming  and intensity and the type of snow itself .  Snow seemed very grainy and icy texture . Probably low ratios . Snow stuck almost instantly to pavement .  Also started as heavy sleet for about 15-20 minutes  before switching to snow 

Also, there were leaves under the snow in many spots.  I’ve never seen so many disabled vehicles either crashed or stuck.  And it happened very quickly.    There was total gridlock.  Nothing was moving so of course the plows couldn’t get through either.

19 minutes ago, rgwp96 said:

Definitely poor ratios. The stuff was super heavy and plowed into huge piles. Should also take a while to melt for the time of year

12 minutes ago, David-LI said:

Windy here north Nassau. Came to backyard to smoke a cig and a transformer nearby just blew up.

Edit: According to HRRR winds will pick up in the pre morning hours. Those isobars look very close. Wouldn't be surprised if I woke up without power.

Wow I just checked the Ny harbor buoy and it’s sustained at 40 gusting to 50 knots. That’s pretty insane and fairly rare yet not even a wind advisory?

1 minute ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Wow I just checked the Ny harbor buoy and it’s sustained at 40 gusting to 50 knots. That’s pretty insane and fairly rare yet not even a wind advisory?

The last time I saw a transformer blow up was during Sandy. Then I saw a lot! Anyway, the snow feels heavy here. Maybe the power lines and tree branches are giving up. It's been raining for a couple hours now, but we also had some freezing rain in between. Now looking at the HRRR wind will only get stronger in the morning.

2 minutes ago, Dino said:

Wow what a mess! We shall never make fun of Atlanta ever again when they get snow.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, David-LI said:

Wow what a mess! We shall never make fun of Atlanta ever again when they get snow.

I know right! Atlanta is gonna have a field day with this news tomorrow. I can’t  believe what I’m seeing - just search NYC Traffic on twitter and look at the insanity. The morning news tomorrow is going to be wild. 

7 hours ago, NorthShoreWx said:

It's not the grass height.  I just wasn't trying hard enough.  Early in the season and I'm not in peak form yet.

You got some good work for your snow measuring muscles though, if this was later in the season you could have pushed the ruler in further down and gotten to double digits!

1 hour ago, David-LI said:

Windy here north Nassau. Came to backyard to smoke a cig and a transformer nearby just blew up.

Edit: According to HRRR winds will pick up in the pre morning hours. Those isobars look very close. Wouldn't be surprised if I woke up without power.

it almost feels like waiting for the center of a tropical storm coming up here from the south

• Rjay locked and unpinned this topic