• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
11/15-11/16 Coastal Storm Observation Thread

NJwx85

Through 9 pm, the following cities have established or tied daily snowfall records for November 15:

Allentown: 7.2" (old record: 2.0", 1933)
Baltimore: 1.7" (old record: 1.2", 1908)
Islip: 4.3" (old record: Trace, Many Years) **biggest snowstorm so early in the season**
New York City: 6.0" (old record: 1.0", 1906) **biggest snowstorm so early in the season**
Newark: 6.4" (old record: 4.2", 1906) **biggest snowstorm so early in the season**
Philadelphia: 3.6" (old record: 0.2", 1933)
Scranton: 6.0" (tied record set in 1906)
Washington, DC: 1.4" (old record: 0.2", 1906)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

10 minutes ago, donsutherland1 said:

Through 9 pm, the following cities have established or tied daily snowfall records for November 15:

Allentown: 7.2" (old record: 2.0", 1933)
Baltimore: 1.7" (old record: 1.2", 1908)
Islip: 4.3" (old record: Trace, Many Years) **biggest snowstorm so early in the season**
New York City: 6.0" (old record: 1.0", 1906) **biggest snowstorm so early in the season**
Newark: 6.4" (old record: 4.2", 1906) **biggest snowstorm so early in the season**
Philadelphia: 3.6" (old record: 0.2", 1933)
Scranton: 6.0" (tied record set in 1906)
Washington, DC: 1.4" (old record: 0.2", 1906)

Add Harrisburg - 8.3”. Record was 3.3” from 1911.

• Like 1

What a commuting mess. I've never been happier to live in Manhattan than tonight. Looks like about 3" on my roof in Chelsea, although the rain and compaction has definitely cut down on visible accumulations. My parents reported 6" in Allentown a few hours ago, not surprised to see over 7" at the Airport outside the UHI.

From the latest PNS from NWS Upton:

...Orange County...
   Mount Hope            17.0   930 PM 11/15  Trained Spotter
   Walden                11.0   805 PM 11/15  CoCoRaHS
   Montgomery            10.5   730 PM 11/15  Trained Spotter
   Vails Gate            10.0   810 PM 11/15  Trained Spotter
   Otisville             10.0   850 PM 11/15  Public
   Goshen                 9.7   800 PM 11/15  Trained Spotter
   Newburgh               9.5   730 PM 11/15  Trained Spotter
   Middletown             9.2   830 PM 11/15  Fire Dept/Rescue
   Monroe                 9.0   800 PM 11/15  Trained Spotter
   New Windsor            9.0   730 PM 11/15  Trained Spotter
   Highland Mills         7.9   700 PM 11/15  Trained Spotter
   Warwick                7.5   720 PM 11/15  Trained Spotter

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, ict1523 said:

There’s a wind driven rain here now. Turning the streets into an even bigger mess. Northbound traffic is still stalled on Riverside and Broadway. Many side streets blocked by cars that couldn’t make it up the hill. 

A few years ago I had to go through the Bronx on a night like this and after almost 90 minutes of getting trapped behind stuck vehicles I gave up and drove up the sidewalk for 2 blocks to get past a mess, had to use the sidewalks two more times before I finally got out to the BRP. When I hit that first hill at the golf course I had to use the shoulder and grass to go around all of the cars stuck in the middle of the road. The hill on the Sprain going up to 287 was a slalom course. Subaru FTW! 

• Like 1

@rgwp96 7" here on the dot with an icy crust on top, we were forecast to get a few inches just a couple of days ago.  Never went to rain, just sleet.  Impressive storm for November 15th.

Amazing how ill prepared this state was (the metro as a whole really).  We've had far worse storms that were handled better.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kat5hurricane said:

Surely you can understand the frustration though from those of those who have had 4-5 hour commutes home. Lots of perhaps misguided frustration comes out in the heat of the moment during times like these.

Of course.  I get it.  It's still wrong though.

When there's a snowstorm in the forecast many take mass transportation or they call out of work if they can.  In this case everyone drove to work like it was a normal day.  Snow started falling heavily as people were leaving to come home or left early because of the snow.  Accidents blocked the roads and boom, traffic jams everywhere.   How were the salters/sanders and plows supposed to get anywhere with all this chaos unfolding?   Today was a total disaster out there.  Everyone is looking for someone to blame but I'm going to blame mother nature for throwing us a curveball.

• Rjay locked and unpinned this topic