Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
11/15-11/16 Coastal Storm Observation Thread

NJwx85

1 minute ago, ForestHillWx said:

I would have had plows on trucks for starters. The local towns had some plow trucks; the state highways did not. They were sanding. I know, as I drove passed them.

The best was the tandom salt truck, brokedown and being towed. 

I'm not speculating as to the status of the contracts with the companies responsible for the interstates, but the ball was dropped here. 

The towns in my area at least had early dismissals; could you imagine the outcry if these kids were on buses, as long as we were in cars? As a public employee, do you see the frustration of the tax paying citizenry?

Anyway, I just hope more people weren't hurt and that the towns/counties and state learns from this experience. Enjoy the storm. 

Well, as a public employee, you should understand the frustration we have of dealing with diminishing resources and then being blamed that things aren't done the way people want. Do you know how much grief we get in the school district when we do early dismissal? Or when we don't? I am thankful these folks are out there risking their lives for the taxpayers right now. We did not have an early dismissal from school where I work. It wasn't bad enough and wasn't expected to be. There was no good reason by 11 am to call school early in my area. The fact that we got hammered at around 3-4 pm wasn't forecast by any source I looked at. I understand your frustration, but there is always more to it than people think. Peace. 

Just now, weatherlogix said:

that guy sounded like a long lost poster, Ace

There are some nasty people that come on here at times during storms. I am resolving not to engage them or respond to their insults this year. When things get going I will try to stay to banter and observation forums because I am not well versed in the minutiae and the science and that irritates some folks. But I learn a lot here and enjoy sharing with other insane people who happen to like a good snowstorm. I always look at Anthony, who never gets ruffled when someone throw a barb at him.

36 minutes ago, kat5hurricane said:

The city is crippled by 6 inches of snow. Sad state of affairs. City officials better wear a lot of egg on their face for this debacle.

To be fair i didnt see many forecasts that would of called for a plowable snow in the City/coast.  Any acclumation would of been washed away by rain soon after and acclumation if any was expected to be on grassy surfaces only anyway. Obviously that turned out to not be the case...but I think they planned for what was forecast. 

Heavy snowfall rates during rush hr, even if its only a couple inches total, has always been terrible. Even when its expected. A suprise 6"+ right at rush hr is epic.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RU848789 said:

As of 6:45 pm, it's still just 30F here and we have gotten 1/2" of sleet in the 90 minutes since it started sleeting heavily (I cleared the board from the 6.25" of snow at 5:15 pm). That makes sense as sleet is usually a ~3:1 ratio, so 1/2" of sleet is equivalent to about 1.6" of 10:1 snow, which would translate to a little over 1" per hour rates for the last 90 minutes. 

We got a total of about 3/4" of sleet, bringing total frozen precip up to 7.0" when added to the 6.25" of snow we had (not 100% sure if kosher to split them into 2 parts, but that's what I got - need to check the snow measurement handbook from the NWS - unless someone here knows the rule on that)

Been freezing rain (ZR) for the last 45 minutes or so - we have maybe 1/10th of an inch of glaze on everything. Fortunately, the roads are already covered with snow/slush, so some ZR on top of it doesn't matter much (ZR is much worse directly on roads/sidewalks when things become skating rinks). It's up to 31F here now and on its way up finally (33F reported in NB), so the worst is now close to over here and generally south of 78 and generally almost up to NYC along 95. But it's going to take several more hours to get above 32F anywhere close to 80, especially W of 287. 

Precip is not as heavy as it was and only expecting another 1/4" or so in most of CNJ and that's not enough to wash away what we have, so shovel now if you can, so you don't have to shovel a fair amount extra later from the rain being absorbed into the snowpack (1/4" of rain weighs a little less than half as much as 6" of "typical" snow and we got typical snow).

9:10 Edit: finally above freezing - it's 33F here and rising (35F in NB), so the worst is over here. Helluva storm.

2 minutes ago, kat5hurricane said:

Not many other options with a lot of trains also running slow or suspended and what good would a cab do?  I was thinking about going back to the job and sleeping over but nah.  I just hope my bladder holds up lol

I'd walk to a train. Can't be worse!  Twas a nice evening for a stroll earlier too.

Pretty much dry slotted now. 95ish% frozen. What a pleasant bust.

• Like 1

• Rjay locked and unpinned this topic