Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
11/15-11/16 Coastal Storm Observation Thread

NJwx85

4 minutes ago, Rjay said:

Yeah.  Blame the state officials that we thumped during rush hour.  

This kind of thing was SOP back in the 80's and even the 90's. We had some real disasters in 94 with rare ice storms and such. BUt even today with all the better forecasting techniques we still get blindsided, getting 4 inches when we expect 2 feet and 6-7 when expect 1"

Just now, psv88 said:

I saw salt and sand being put on the LiE at 2 pm, by 5 pm it was snowpacked. Nothing you can do 

Snowed at 1-2" an hour during rush hour.  No one left early because the public was told it wasn't going to be so bad.   The state officials were also given the same forecast we all saw on TV.  People should cut them some slack.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Rjay said:

Snowed at 1-2" an hour during rush hour.  No one left early because the public was told it wasn't going to be so bad.   The state officials were also given the same forecast we all saw on TV.  People should cut them some slack.

Yea and when the heaviest snow comes at 4 pm, harder for the plows to get their job done, just piles up.

10 minutes ago, weatherpruf said:

As a public employee, I am asking you what you would have done. A call for a minor event at a time of year when it is extremely rare for more populated areas to see significant snow. I am not going to fault the state workers on this one. It's not like they enjoy watching people suffer. And they are out there now trying to make things better. Maybe not succeeding, but trying. Let's cut em a break. 

I would have had plows on trucks for starters. The local towns had some plow trucks; the state highways did not. They were sanding. I know, as I drove passed them.

The best was the tandom salt truck, brokedown and being towed. 

I'm not speculating as to the status of the contracts with the companies responsible for the interstates, but the ball was dropped here. 

The towns in my area at least had early dismissals; could you imagine the outcry if these kids were on buses, as long as we were in cars? As a public employee, do you see the frustration of the tax paying citizenry?

Anyway, I just hope more people weren't hurt and that the towns/counties and state learns from this experience. Enjoy the storm. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, kat5hurricane said:

The city is crippled by 6 inches of snow. Sad state of affairs. City officials better wear a lot of egg on their face for this debacle.

Just saying hello from NC wishing you guys luck up there! We went through the same back in 2010 heavy snow with unprepared public is a fail everywhere. This is the photo from Raleigh that day!

snow storm.jpg

• Rjay locked and unpinned this topic