Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
11/15-11/16 Coastal Storm Observation Thread

NJwx85

11 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

.64 now in New York City.  This should be the 2nd largest daily November snow.  They might need to measure before the standard 7pm time though because any sleet and rain will compact it 

.64”? Lmao 

There’s a solid 5” right over in bedstuy and all they got was half an inch? Smh lol

4.1" here measured on a snowboard at 5:30 PM.  Still snowing but much lighter now (6:10PM).

Just for grins, I stuck the ruler lightly in the grass near the snowboard and got 5.9".  I could have probably pushed it in a little harder and measured 7" if I was trying to inflate the inflated total.

This tells me 2 things.  I need to mow the lawn when the snow melts and there are going to be a lot of BS totals reported for this one.  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

.64 now in New York City.  This should be the 2nd largest daily November snow.  They might need to measure before the standard 7pm time though because any sleet and rain will compact it 

Not sure if you saw my post earlier on this page, but I had 6.25" when it changed to sleet and then I took a walk and 20 minutes later with heavy sleet falling, I was down to 5.75".  Compaction, yes.  Can the "official" spotters just decide to measure when it changes?  I did, because I wanted to know how much we had.  Seems to make sense that one can in order to know what the max depth in a storm was.  

2 minutes ago, NorthShoreWx said:

4.1" here measured on a snowboard at 5:30 PM.  Still snowing but much lighter now (6:10PM).

Just for grins, I stuck the ruler lightly in the grass near the snowboard and got 5.9".  I could have probably pushed it in a little harder and measured 7" if I was trying to inflate the inflated total.

This tells me 2 things.  I need to mow the lawn when the snow melts and there are going to be a lot of BS totals reported for this one.  

You cut too short. I measured almost 9” in the highest grass. 

• Like 1

Just now, NJwx85 said:

This is what can happen when forecasters play it super conservative. 90% of the public was completely unprepared along with most road crews. No excuse for this in an area that gets on average 30-40” of snow per year.

Agree but I’d say a similar amount of posters on this forum are surprised by the over performance. 

4 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

This is what can happen when forecasters play it super conservative. 90% of the public was completely unprepared along with most road crews. No excuse for this in an area that gets on average 30-40” of snow per year.

Eh, I think you can give them some slack.  You announced that Nassau County would be mostly rain before you went to bed last night.  NAM was showing 6" for Nassau at that time.  Yours wasn't an unreasonable forecast and I assume you had more reasons than just being conservative for making it.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Nibor said:

Agree but I’d say a similar amount of posters on this forum are surprised by the over performance. 

I’m not referring to weenie maps. I’m saying that forecasters should have seen how strong the CAD was. If I could see it, you better bet they can. Too many people hug the GFS. It’s thermal profiles are worthless.

2 minutes ago, Nibor said:

IIRC there were a couple pros on here last night who discussed the potential for this to overperform. The dew point last night in Boston was 1...that was a pretty good indication of things to come. Also these overrunning snows from the south always seem to overperform and are poorly forecasted by the models.

Just now, NJwx85 said:

I’m not referring to weenie maps. I’m saying that forecasters should have seen how strong the CAD was. If I could see it, you better bet they can. Too many people hug the GFS. It’s thermal profiles are worthless.

I mentioned about the Gfs in regards to cad situations.

Awful model with thermal profiles

1 minute ago, NJwx85 said:

The wind directions this morning gave it away to me but I still didn’t think it would hold on this long I felt maybe JFK to rain at 22Z and LGA by 00

1 minute ago, Rittenhouse said:

IIRC there were a couple pros on here last night who discussed the potential for this to overperform. The dew point last night in Boston was 1...that was a pretty good indication of things to come. Also these overrunning snows from the south always seem to overperform and are poorly forecasted by the models.

That’s fair but given how rare these November storms are I’m not surprised most people, including myself, were skeptical. 

• Like 1

• Rjay locked and unpinned this topic