• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    scourt
    Newest Member
    scourt

November 15-16 First Frozen Obs/Nowcast

2 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

@ORH_wxman it’s remarkable how the column has hung on, even for low elevation spots. A big positive bust at any date, let alone mid November!

Yeah...I just went back and looked at the 06z NAM 9 hour forecast for 15z....it had a warm nose of +2.3C over DCA at 750mb. Clearly that hasn't happened. Way off.

• Like 3

visibility has dropped again to below .25 mile, but huge flakes and no ice pellets this time.  LWX upped accumulations to 3-5" (from 1-2" this morning) for me.

11 minutes ago, midatlanticweather said:

Coefficient has a slowly increasing area of mix here - It has not been rushing north, but it is growing

image.png.aa8d171dc056e27c16bcf6f062ef543c.png

I find myself getting irritated by these posts that show mixing nearby. Please take no offense, midatlantic, but these images are so Deb.

• Like 2

Per SPC meso analysis...850° line runs south of US 50...925° line almost down to St. Mary's, MD.  We're wedged in nicely.  If we can manage to hold on through 2 or 3 pm then we lose sun light :) :snowing:

• Like 4

The folks on Frederick scanner cannot keep up with all the accidents in Frederick Co. Those that have ventured out have reported horrible road conditions county wide.  A fire truck tanker responding to an accident slid off of 70 and is on it side in the median. 

Chantilly looks to be getting crushed now and it’s headed straight here this is about to get good. 

Just now, NoVaWx said:

Chantilly looks to be getting crushed now and it’s headed straight here this is about to get good. 

Yeah. Big fatties in Herndon now coming down hard.

I have to say...I'm stunned here in Frederick.  Was happy with the 1-2" projection.  This thing might go for 6" at this rate.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mrs.J said:

The folks on Frederick scanner cannot keep up with all the accidents in Frederick Co. Those that have ventured out have reported horrible road conditions county wide.  A fire truck tanker responding to an accident slid off of 70 and is on it side in the median. 

Can't wait. I work in downtown Leesburg and live just north of the Rt 15/26 split. Will be a fun drive home. Can't leave until 4.

Got to imagine the big band entering southern MD and Fburg area is the progged frontogenesis. Could be fun...

• Like 1

11:30am:  31.1  Steady snow, small flakes, no sleet.
10:15am:  30.8  Snow mixed with some sleet. About 1" but still see grass green spots.
 9:15am:   30.6  Mod sleet mixed with a little snow. Main roads wet and slick w/ a little slush.  Side streets and grass have whitened.
 8:15am:  Changeover complete to all-snow, some moderate.
 7:30am:  32.8  snow, some sleet -- deck, mulch and cartops whitened.
 6:15am:  33.8  sleet w/a bit of rain mixed in.
 6:00am:  34, lite rain began.
 5:45am:  34 and Overcast.

I-81 is a mess in Berkeley County.  Saw six cars that slid off the road in one 2 mile stretch .   Speed averaging 25 mph with the road completely covered and less than a quarter-mile visibility .

+SN again in Gaithersburg. I’m near Quince Orchard High School. All four kids just came in and are headed back out again. I’ve got chicken in the slow cooker and am about to light a fire. What a wonderful surprise this has been. Man I love snow season. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, George BM said:

Yeah. Big fatties in Herndon now coming down hard.

Yup flakes just got huge coming down great. Thankfully still not a sleet pellet in sight. 

7 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Got to imagine the big band entering southern MD and Fburg area is the progged frontogenesis. Could be fun...

Looks like the sleet line is trying to advance with that band. Hopefully it washes out one more time and we get a nice shot of snow b4 the flip. 

4 minutes ago, WVclimo said:

I-81 is a mess in Berkeley County.  Saw six cars that slid off the road in one 2 mile stretch .   Speed averaging 25 mph with the road completely covered and less than a quarter-mile visibility .

All of the roads are a disaster down here. Frozen solid. 

3.5 inches and just dumping dendrites right now. They called 3-5 for my area. It better flip soon or that is going to bust hard. Stunning November day!

• Like 2