Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
November 15-16 First Frozen Obs/Nowcast

WxUSAF

2 minutes ago, supernovasky said:

It’s kind of embarrassing but I never knew that rain COULD fall on snow...

Oh man.  Once we had 6-7" of snow which turned to a long period of freezing rain putting a half inch crust on it.  Afterwards an arctic blast came in and temps crashed to the teens and you could walk on top of the snow without breaking through!  That night there was a full moon and the reflection off the solid ice was other-worldly.  Everything was silver.  We were taking chunks of the ice and letting it slide down the long hill behind the house and you could hear them continuing down through the woods.

Another time we had a full 24 hours of steady freezing rain with 25-degree temps leaving three solid inches of ice on everything.  Spend enough winters here and you will see some wild stuff.  That's why we have so many weather weenies here -- we get a lot of mild, boring winters, but sometimes winters are NUTS.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, BlizzardNole said:

Spend enough winters here and you will see some wild stuff.  That's why we have so many weather weenies here -- we get a lot of mild, boring winters, but sometimes winters are NUTS.

Truth. I'd guess that half of our winter events have mixed precipitation of some sort. Snow to rain isn't terrible if it gets really cold afterwards. Glaciation helps with snowcover days. Ruins sledding tho

My favorite by far (and also rare) is thundersnow during a bombing low off the coast. Puking snow + thunder & lightning = nudity 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

21 minutes ago, BlizzardNole said:

Oh man.  Once we had 6-7" of snow which turned to a long period of freezing rain putting a half inch crust on it.  Afterwards an arctic blast came in and temps crashed to the teens and you could walk on top of the snow without breaking through!  That night there was a full moon and the reflection off the solid ice was other-worldly.  Everything was silver.  We were taking chunks of the ice and letting it slide down the long hill behind the house and you could hear them continuing down through the woods.

Another time we had a full 24 hours of steady freezing rain with 25-degree temps leaving three solid inches of ice on everything.  Spend enough winters here and you will see some wild stuff.  That's why we have so many weather weenies here -- we get a lot of mild, boring winters, but sometimes winters are NUTS.

That sounds so fun!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CatoctinRN said:

Trained spotter says 7.5 for Thurmont, MD which is about 9 miles to my south on MD 15. Steady sleet now, very gray skies. Will be interesting to see what falls on top during the night/early am. Looks like another snow day for the kids tomorrow most likely in Frederick County. Roads here are a royal mess.

The real wild card is if we get another quick inch early tomorrow AM to really screw stuff up....

27 minutes ago, Mrs.J said:

For all those who like my winter storm food posts. Here is dinner. 

Bacon mushroom asparagus quiche. 

Mrs. J's pre snowstorm catering service....It's your ticket out of here!  I'd take two orders of chicken soup and that for dinner. 2 adults 2 kids

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic