Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
November 15-16 First Frozen Obs/Nowcast

WxUSAF

2 hours ago, supernovasky said:

Don't do it. 

I'll share pictures in just a moment.

But there are cars that are stuck on hills. Seriously, saw a car spin out and slide down a hill into another car near Blunt Road.

Did it!  The roads were AWFUL.  I was really surprised.  Even my Outback was slipping a little.  Passed over top of I-270 and it looked baaaaad.

At the intersection of 355 and Father Hurley (Rt 27) there was an SUV with a smashed in front, and a huge plow 50 feet away on the southbound side of 355, facing north.  Those two must have met.  The SUV lost.

The shake was great though!  Switched to heavy sleet for the drive back.  That stuff actually stung against the neck and ears!  Got 3" here in Germantown.  What an event.

• Like 1

Raining now maybe some freezing but that pretty much does it for this event I guess at least here. 

Edit:  was a couple miles east towards sterling but in ashburn back at the house there’s still pingers lol. Precip still has a whiteish look to it trying to be snow. 

1 hour ago, UIWWildthing said:

Snowing pretty decently here in Dundalk

Yeah it was. Had to clean off my car a second time in the Grocery store parking lot.  It was sleeting when I got there and shocking to see how hard it was snowing when I was checking out.  

5 minutes ago, Potvinsux said:

Trees bending and branches coming down in Snowshoe.

Hey! I lived in Mace and Hillsboro for a few years back at the beginning of the 2010's when I worked as a social worker and community organizer with Americorps VISTA.  Back in DC teaching now, but I wager I know half of the employees there (at Snowshoe).  Weather is insane out there, was there for Hurricane Sandy and the Derecho lost power for an ungodly amount of time.  Keep the obs coming!

1 minute ago, Inthepines said:
10 minutes ago, Potvinsux said:

Trees bending and branches coming down in Snowshoe.

Hey! I lived in Mace and Hillsboro for a few years back at the beginning of the 2010's when I worked as a social worker and community organizer with Americorps VISTA.  Back in DC teaching now, but I wager I know half of the employees there (at Snowshoe).  Weather is insane out there, was there for Hurricane Sandy and the Derecho lost power for an ungodly amount of time.  Keep the obs coming!

Whole other world up here!  Elevation is key but not for this storm.  Too much warm air right above me!

7 minutes ago, NoVaWx said:

Raining now maybe some freezing but that pretty much does it for this event I guess at least here. 

Edit:  was a couple miles east towards sterling but in ashburn back at the house there’s still pingers lol. Precip still has a whiteish look to it trying to be snow. 

Just like that fatties mixing in snowing again!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bob Chill said:

It's uncanny how well the euro did with the surface and mids. Nailed practically everything for most of us. The timing and location of the flip to sleet was forecast with near perfection. 

and most of us ignorned it till the 18z MESO runs yesterday

12 minutes ago, mdhokie said:

Howard County got shafted. Maybe 1-2". Did we get stuck between bands? Warm air coming off of the bay? We had periods of moderate snow but it just didn't seem to want to pile up.

Yep. I know Elkridge/BWI area kept missing the bands. Most of them seemed to be Ellicott City and west. 

Looks like a mostly rain with a little sleet mix now, and it doesn't look like freezing rain either.

17 minutes ago, mdhokie said:

Howard County got shafted. Maybe 1-2". Did we get stuck between bands? Warm air coming off of the bay? We had periods of moderate snow but it just didn't seem to want to pile up.

Yeah we did a bit.  PG/AA/HoCo/Balt City missed out a bit.  Best action was definitely in NoVA and jackpotville.  

Was all rain when I left Greenbelt to drive home, but still largely sleet at home in Columbia.  Roads in my neighborhood are a mess.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic