Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
November 15-16 First Frozen Obs/Nowcast

WxUSAF

4 minutes ago, Deck Pic said:

Just looked at my records going back to 04-05 and I got 0.25” on 11/23/05 and 0.25” on 11/26/14.  So this is a pretty big deal. 

Offhand I can only think of two November events better than this: Veterans Day (of course) and Thanksgiving (1989?). And this is a daytime deal whereas the Thanksgiving storm, I think, was overnight. So this might be 2A. I remember a great squall came through in 1995 with wind and snow but I don't recall that much sticking (in Takoma Park, at least). So it's been almost 30 years ... I'm sure there was probably something else in that period that might have approached this, but I don't remember it. 

7 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Unless I'm missing something in my records, this is the biggest Nov event in my yard since I bought this house in 03. I wasn't here in 95 and I was in Frostburg in 87 so I missed Vet day. Very nice Nov event. 

Is there anywhere that this kind of information can be researched or easily accessed? I'm always curious about both daily and monthly snowfall records, as well as remembering certain storms but forgetting the exact date and amount, but don't know where I can look it up.

5 minutes ago, supernovasky said:

So.... this is why all of you told me cold air damming is awesome...

It's a unique feature along the Piedmont and one of the few things that models under estimate with events like this. CAD can deliver good snow to our area even when SLP passes west of us. It can be raining in WV or even OH but snowing along and east of the Blue Ridge.

Another unique feature is Parrs ridge which extends from Damascus MD through Westminster and towards the MD/PA line. Parrs often enhances orographic lift with storms that have NE-SE surface and mid-level flow. That's why those folks often jackpot on most of our winter storms. 

25 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Pretty amazing storm for mid-November for this region. I am really impressed by how long the snow held on and stuck to all surfaces even in the middle of the day. A good omen for the rest of the winter.

I’m really surprised the mid-November sun angle didn’t vaporize this snow, particularly given the warmth leading into today.

22 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Need to put up a forcefield to keep that sleet to the south of me. NWS changed my forecast to 2-6 inches. I have never seen that amount called for before :)

...WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 4 AM EST FRIDAY...

* WHAT...Heavy mixed precipitation expected. Total sleet and snow
  accumulation of 2 to 6 inches

They have to account for Stephens City on the low end.

• Haha 2

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic