Hardy-Western Grant-Eastern Grant-Western Mineral-Eastern Mineral-
Western Pendleton-Eastern Pendleton-
1027 PM EST Wed Nov 14 2018

...WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 4 AM THURSDAY TO
4 AM EST FRIDAY...

* WHAT...Heavy mixed precipitation expected. Total sleet and snow
  accumulation of 2 to 5 inches, and ice glaze accumulations of
  one-quarter inch expected. Elevations above 2000 feet could see
  ice accumulations exceeding one-half inch.

* WHERE...Portions of north central and western Maryland,
  northwest Virginia and eastern and panhandle West Virginia.

* WHEN...Wintry precipitation will start between 4 and 6 AM EST
  tonight, and continue through 4 AM EST Friday.

* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...Power outages and tree damage are likely
  due to the ice. Travel could be nearly extremely difficult. The
  hazardous conditions could impact the Thursday morning and
  evening commute.
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

There is some really nice banding showing up on the HRW for tomorrow afternoon/evening for NOVA. Who knows if it is right. But it looks like someone could get into some heavy stuff at some point tomorrow afternoon.

Yep, and the below may be relevant to us as well. 

• Like 2

Ok so this is my very first post after reading for a bit so excuse me if I sound a bit uneducated(or completely)

I'm in Emmitsburg,MD. Extreme NW Frederick County, MD.. approx 10 miles from Gettysburg,PA if that helps. Our local forecast keeps saying rain/sleet/1-3 snow? Yet the maps here don't seem to jive with that. We're in Catoctin Mountain.

Anyways..I need to drive tomorrow at 7am from here to Westminster, MD. Can anyone give me an actual idea of what I can expect? Then I drive back at 4pm.

Thanks.

Ok so this is my very first post after reading for a bit so excuse me if I sound a bit uneducated(or completely)
I'm in Emmitsburg,MD. Extreme NW Frederick County, MD.. approx 10 miles from Gettysburg,PA if that helps. Our local forecast keeps saying rain/sleet/1-3 snow? Yet the maps here don't seem to jive with that. We're in Catoctin Mountain.

Anyways..I need to drive tomorrow at 7am from here to Westminster, MD. Can anyone give me an actual idea of what I can expect? Then I drive back at 4pm.
Thanks.

Oh, and to this point, you should be fine at 7. Event will probably just be getting going up there at that point, won’t have really started. At 4:00 though it will likely be a somewhat icy/slick snowy mess. Not sure I’d expect the roads to be super bad, but there will have been extended winter precip at that point.

Gist is, drive there should be fine, drive back will be harder.

8 hours ago, BristowWx said:

Not the same without you Jebman 

I am pulling for the Mid Atlantic to get obliterated by this winter storm! 

It is going to be winter storm after winter storm after winter storm after winter storm. This is going to be one of the most EPIC winters in recorded history in the Washington DC Region, the Winter of 2018-2019.

Head straight for Rt 9 and keep on going west, into Berkeley County in West Virginia.

If I were in the region, thats where I'd go.

In other news, Buda TX had a high of 42 degrees yesterday Nov 13, under sunny skies then last night we fell to a frigid 19 degrees!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Something is definitely up with the weather. Buda TX's normal LOW is 51 degrees. Thats over 30 degrees below normal for us. Even in Dale City, a low of 19 degrees would be very remarkable at this time of year.

All hell is about to break loose this winter, unlike anything we have ever before experienced.

If you think that is hyperbole, then just remember this past summer in the Mid Atlantic.

6 hours ago, PDIII said:

This doesnt make any sense.. since when did the euro roll at 18Z?

Strange new world we live in. Accumulating snow in mid-November and off hour runs of the Euro. Crazy, isn't it?

6 hours ago, psuhoffman said:

32/18

RenderedContent-5F58A0A9-11AC-4626-87C5-90FECCFEC742.thumb.JPG.9ca06ac2daffc1fe7cea38954644d209.JPG

Show off. :D

5 hours ago, BTRWx's Thanks Giving said:

Everyone better be all in!  If we bust, we'll have to wait until next winter! :lol:

eta: t-minus 16 days

Thinking we will have another shot or two before winter sets in.

4 hours ago, WxWatcher007 said:

If it busts here I say we storm the server room and torch it. 

(for future unknown people looking at this post, I'm an not seriously advocating for the destruction of federal property)

I know you and I STILL think you are advocating for this. But you are/were the Reaper after all so you thrive on anarchy. ;)

I am pulling for the Mid Atlantic to get obliterated by this winter storm! 
It is going to be winter storm after winter storm after winter storm after winter storm. This is going to be one of the most EPIC winters in recorded history in the Washington DC Region, the Winter of 2018-2019.
Head straight for Rt 9 and keep on going west, into Berkeley County in West Virginia.
If I were in the region, thats where I'd go.
In other news, Buda TX had a high of 42 degrees yesterday Nov 13, under sunny skies then last night we fell to a frigid 19 degrees!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Something is definitely up with the weather. Buda TX's normal LOW is 51 degrees. Thats over 30 degrees below normal for us. Even in Dale City, a low of 19 degrees would be very remarkable at this time of year.
All hell is about to break loose this winter, unlike anything we have ever before experienced.
If you think that is hyperbole, then just remember this past summer in the Mid Atlantic.

Do you live in Texas now or you there for work?

06Z NAMs have stepped back a touch especially the 3K which has shifted the southern extent of the snow northward 10-15 miles. But probably nothing more then noise at this point. 06Z GFS on the other hand has gotten more aggressive especially towards the cities. Positive snow depth (which in this case includes sleet) is now showing roughly 2.5-3 inches for DC with a little more in Balt.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic