Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
1st Winter Event of 2018-19 Fall/Winter Season

ChescoWx

38 minutes ago, Newman said:

Eh. I don't think Reading picked up 8" but who knows. Probably a measurement in the grass so around 7-7.5" would sound right. I measured 7" here before compaction started. Probably down to 6.5" at this point.

Possibly.  Seems it was just a social media report, but there was that 7.1 spotter reading nearby and at an earlier time, so could be correct.  

1 hour ago, SnowLover22 said:

I’m really jealous of the snow you guys got. I missed it as I am away from home. Currently on a Deployment with FEMA. Word is Delco got a couple of inches.

Likewise.  Pittsburgh is basically Cape May most of the time, wherein the warm air coddles up on the windward side of the Appalachians, creating a warm pocket.  Southerly intrusion is difficult to stop.  I've missed living on the coastal plain, of all places, for a while.

Very slick ride home (even with quattro AWD) from Trumbauersville to Pottstown. Saw an overturned plow truck in Pottsgrove (that must be embarrassing one to tell the boss about) and a curious Toyota Solara abandoned in the middle of the intersection of Upper Ridge Road and Gerryville Pike. Picked up about 5" in Pottstown (top inch is sleet) probably at least 6.5" inches at work when I left at 4:30. Raining here now. 

All i know is pennDOT dropped the ball on this one, an epic fail. On my way to work at 1:30pm i didnt see one salt or plow truck on 22...309...tractor trailers jackknifed cars in ditches and that was only a few inches then. On my way home just now all i see is cars in ditches and tractor trailers jackknifed on the side of the highways all over. The highway has this hard packed on snow/ice. Good storm tho, but the road crews were def not prepared for this one.

4 hours ago, shadow_ said:

All i know is pennDOT dropped the ball on this one, an epic fail. On my way to work at 1:30pm i didnt see one salt or plow truck on 22...309...tractor trailers jackknifed cars in ditches and that was only a few inches then. On my way home just now all i see is cars in ditches and tractor trailers jackknifed on the side of the highways all over. The highway has this hard packed on snow/ice. Good storm tho, but the road crews were def not prepared for this one.

I remember the winter of the ice storms ('93 - '94) when folks were reminded that the state routes like 202/309, etc are considered "secondary roads" to PennDOT.  The "primary" roads are I-95, I-76, I-80, etc.

5 hours ago, shadow_ said:

That might be a little harsh, imo. More of a group responsibility - there are probably people out there who shouldn't drive in snow, which doesn't help. The snow came down hard and with the latent ground heat melting the bottom layer with all that compression on top, you get effectively a sheet of ice. December 8th 2013 was a lot like this storm - 1st snow of the season, came down hard, forecast was underdone, and people in general were unprepared. With all the cars on the road and gridlocked it's hard for plows and salt trucks to make a difference. If you read people like HM on Twitter you might have been aware of the potential for heavy snow in the mid day to afternoon, but even with that, it's just potential, it's the weather. So I can imagine PennDOT might have been under prepared, but so were many others, and even then I'm not sure how you overcome 2" an hour rates with roads packed with traffic in the middle of the day. Glad you made it home okay!

• Like 1

Have now transitioned to all snow - although it's relatively light.  Temp still @ 33.

But in other news - just saw this... LOL A camel walking along 309 near Souderton during the storm yesterday!

Apparently it was on its way to an event at the Kimmel Center (but it was eventually decided to not have him appear) -

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

Have now transitioned to all snow - although it's relatively light.  Temp still @ 33.

But in other news - just saw this... LOL A camel walking along 309 near Souderton during the storm yesterday!

Apparently it was on its way to an event at the Kimmel Center (but it was eventually decided to not have him appear) -

That's hilarious :lol:.