Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
11/15-16 Coastal Storm/ULL Discussion

dmillz25

21 minutes ago, dmillz25 said:

A stronger ull would pull the storm further north eliminating the chance of frozen at the coast

Think that you're misunderstanding what I said. The initial surface low goes by and that's what gives everyone the front end dump and then the ULL moves through Thursday night. The Euro runs prior to 00z were showing a stronger ULL with mesoscale banding features and heavy snow over interior NW NJ, NE PA and SE NY.

3 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

Think that you're misunderstanding what I said. The initial surface low goes by and that's what gives everyone the front end dump and then the ULL moves through Thursday night. The Euro runs prior to 00z were showing a stronger ULL with mesoscale banding features and heavy snow over interior NW NJ, NE PA and SE NY.

I think this will end up as a good thump of snow followed by some sleet and drizzle

4 minutes ago, RockerfellerSnow said:

I think this will end up as a good thump of snow followed by some sleet and drizzle

Time to get things sorted out but think that freezing rain could be a significant issue for some. Good portion of the trees here still have at least some leaves. A few inches of heavy wet snow followed by some freezing rain is a sticky situation. The 3k NAM for example has the surface at 26 over Rockland County at 00z Friday while 850's are running +1-2C. 

nam3km_mslp_pcpn_frzn_neus_60.png

4 minutes ago, CarLover014 said:

How much wind are we looking with this? The beaches had a rough hit with the October 27-28 storm. (all the beach replenishment was washed away) I don't think it would (or at be as bad as that one, since the pressure gradient doesn't look as tight as the October storm.

A few gusts in the 40-50 mph range along the coast but nothing major.

This is what I was talking about regarding the ULL. While it shows rain here, the surface is maybe 2-3 degrees above freezing for much of the interior. 850's are fairly warm but we could get some colder air to work down if the precipitation is heavy enough.

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_neus_12.png

Not to be confused with the front end potential late Thursday afternoon.

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_neus_10.png

9 minutes ago, RU848789 said:

Huge difference between the new (FV3) GFS and the old GFS.  The old one, below, seems to make a lot more sense with just a couple of inches for the 95 corridor and nada for the coast - with ocean temps in the 50s...

gfs_asnow_neus_14.png

Water is so warm still, that my friend is still surfing! :D 58 degrees is what he said it was over the weekend

2 minutes ago, CarLover014 said:

Water is so warm still, that my friend is still surfing! :D 58 degrees is what he said it was over the weekend

Coastal areas are going to go over to rain thanks to the warm Easterly flow. This has always been a front end only scenario. Once the surface low gets up to SNJ it's all over. After that it's going to depend on the evolution of the ULL. Some guidance is suggesting a secondary surface low could form on Friday morning. 

17 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

Coastal areas are going to go over to rain thanks to the warm Easterly flow. This has always been a front end only scenario. Once the surface low gets up to SNJ it's all over. After that it's going to depend on the evolution of the ULL. Some guidance is suggesting a secondary surface low could form on Friday morning. 

Precip usually comes in faster than modeled with these type of systems so this might help out everyone in regards to frozen precip.

12Z Euro just came out and shows 0.4-0.8", still, of frozen precip up through early Thursday evening for the 95 corridor, before the changeover to heavy rain, with 1.2-2.0" of total precip falling (so over 1" of rain on top of any snow/sleet). Euro has had a similar solution for several runs now and we're only 48-60 hours from the event, so it's possible it'll be right. Euro also showing a fair amount more snow/sleet inland, as expected. Pretty sure the NWS will want to see more model consensus, say, 24 hours from now, before taking a snow threat more seriously for the 95 corridor with the ocean still being so warm. However, I could see winter storm watches going up for interior sections if tonight's model runs continue to show significant potential snow/sleet - and maybe advisories tomorrow afternoon for the 95 corridor if a few inches or more look likely by then.  

• Rjay pinned this topic
  • BxEngine unpinned this topic