Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Nov 15/16 regionwide event

RUNNAWAYICEBERG

This is a weird forecast from my Point n Click

"Freezing rain, possibly mixed with snow, becoming all freezing rain after 2am. The snow could be heavy at times. Temperature rising to around 33 by 5am. East wind 7 to 15 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 5 to 9 inches possible."

39 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Def a sick arimass....

ORH is 25F at peak insolation of the day and their record low max for this date is 30F in 1996. They are also threatening the coldest maximum on record prior to 11/20...the current record is 27F set on 11/16/67.

You could tell yesterday this would be a special air mass.

Yesterday's climate report had an average temp of 13F here at MVL.  -23 departure.

3 hours ago, weathafella said:

I remember that one!  I met wxsniss and we walked up to Trader Joe’s in Coolidge Corner.  While in the store it was transitioning to rain but thumping on the way over.  I’m at the registers paying for a bottle of wine and wxsniss has a stressed look at the window.  We walked a little and I was so distraught I dropped the wine on the sidewalk and the bottle broke .  We walked home in a driving rainstorm.  An hour later it flipped back and we did ok but west of the BU Bridge got 8+ which would include my current location.

A nice memory Jerry :)

You're missed back here, and every drive to Chestnut Hill captures just how much better your climo is. You're more comfortably in the 2-4" range than me, but I think that range will work out for most areas away from water. I also think you and out to Rt128 have a shot at > 4" if we can stave off the coastal front.

Glanced at 12z Euro... it does hiccup on occasion, but NAM / RGEM also trended a bit more dry. Upstream obs and radar appear more gungho to me, so overall no reason to make any drastic changes.

18z NAM coming in, looks pretty similar to 12z. 700-800mb switchover occurs near 6z. The big question for us is where a coastal front sets up and how quickly it invades. This will be a good event to hone skills in interpreting wind directions. Currently Fenway 34/22 vs. Brookline Village 30/18 vs. ORH 25/7... this event could similarly vacillate around the BU Bridge for some time.

I see no reason to change from 2-4" Boston metro, 4-8" most of the interior

3 hours ago, tunafish said:

Sounds right to me.  I really don't understand the flip flopping from them.  Perhaps @OceanStWx will enlighten us at some point.

:rolleyes:

I am decidedly not happy with our performance so far. I just got in for my first shift in 4 days, so I've been on the sidelines mostly, but saw the PWM forecast go from 4" to 7" to 3" to 8" in 36 hours. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1