• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Nov 15/16 regionwide event

RUNNAWAYICEBERG

I'm in the car right now. As a passenger... On Route 93 in central New Hampshire. They have large DPW trucks with large cylinders on them and some kind of spray system spraying liquid calcium chloride on the roads. I have never seen them pretreat the interstate like this before a storm. Maybe they're doing it because this is the first time the roads have been treated the season I don't know?

2 minutes ago, Sugarloaf1989 said:

That seems very low.

Actually, I just looked it up.  It's 20' at the southern border.  It's 10' in East Windsor.  You have to remember that it is sea level to Hartford and tidal effects can be seen as far north as Windsor Locks.  But, this is not the thread to discuss elevations.  Bottom line is that it's not 160'+.  You can look it up yourself on a USGS map.

9 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

I'm in the car right now. As a passenger... On Route 93 in central New Hampshire. They have large DPW trucks with large cylinders on them and some kind of spray system spraying liquid calcium chloride on the roads. I have never seen them pretreat the interstate like this before a storm. Maybe they're doing it because this is the first time the roads have been treated the season I don't know?

NHDOT does that before pretty much every storm.

8 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

Pre-treating roads is becoming more and more common in NH. The brine is less expensive and less corrosive. And it is safer for the environment.

7 minutes ago, MetHerb said:

Actually, I just looked it up.  It's 20' at the southern border.  It's 10' in East Windsor.  You have to remember that it is sea level to Hartford and tidal effects can be seen as far north as Windsor Locks.  But, this is not the thread to discuss elevations.  Bottom line is that it's not 160'+.  You can look it up yourself on a USGS map.

Enfield HS is at 85' and I'm at 154' My point is elevation in Enfield wont make much difference in snowfall totals.

seems like we repeat this a lot.  Event after event after event... 

Clear indicators in the models... overthink kicks in, suddenly ..we know more than our own experience and we're down to Advisories clear to almost Glenn Falls NY with DPs of 10 F and 40 of units of UVM riding over top... 

Sometimes I wonder if we just invent reasons to doubt ... and sound intelligent while doing so, too. 

So the Euro comes in late second with a sleet bomb and ...well, whatever.  I think it's a relative win still going with warning for general impact - Euro can hiccup too.  But 5.5" of snow then .5" sleet then.1" of icing then drizzle at a balmy 33 F is a nightmare to a non acclimated public so ...it's better in the PR of the thing. 

• Like 1

Just now, tamarack said:

Probably why GYX trimmed 2" from the Farmington forecast.  Overperforming in the MA, underperforming for Maine?

We really don't get into the front end thump like further south, Just seems to be more overrunning stuff up here with a burst somewhere from the mid level fronto band.

9 minutes ago, DomNH said:

FWIW I'm looking at the 12z Euro soundings for ASH and I don't see any sleet at 06z. Maybe the in between hours between 06z and 12z but it's snow through 06z verbatim. 

How many levels is the sounding? You need nucleation below the dry slot too. -1C or -2C won't cut it.