Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Nov 15/16 regionwide event

RUNNAWAYICEBERG

7 minutes ago, weathafella said:

That’s 3-6 verbatim on NAM TO BOS.   925 cold till dawn.

800mb gets us though, looks to me like it warms in most of SNE after 6z Fri... but damage is done before that...

Nice to see the more bullish guidance hold... for now... when does the GFS join?

NAM looks colder in the FRH grids... 

Haven't seen the pretty pictures yet.  But linear diffferential between ALB and BOS on that grid argues for 4-6 with a quarter inch of sleet on top for places like western Middlesex out through N CT... with all snow at ALB.    Wondering if there's a 700 mb elevatedd warm layer,, but... with the 500 mb mechanics tending S of the south coast I'm inclined to think that gets pinched off (if exists..) about 1/3 the way through this thing. 

Course...that's the NAM.  I personally like this model in these nascent polar air/thicnkness compression scenarios though. I think it's finer grid picks up on those feed-backs... The EURO edged colder at 00z notwithstanding... 

5 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

It's 850-700. Quite a large, warm layer with little room for error. It's just something to monitor.  

Yeah it's like -0.4C at 03z at ORH at 750mb and at 00z before that, it's literally 0C in the warmest layer in southern CT. This could definitely go either way. 

If there is one thing the NAM is sometimes pretty good at, it's sniffing out the warm layers in SWFEs. It doesn't always do the best, but it has a pretty good batting average. 

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah it's like -0.4C at 03z at ORH at 750mb and at 00z before that, it's literally 0C in the warmest layer in southern CT. This could definitely go either way. 

If there is one thing the NAM is sometimes pretty good at, it's sniffing out the warm layers in SWFEs. It doesn't always do the best, but it has a pretty good batting average. 

Yeah hopefully that's the warmest it gets. 

17 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

That's still awfully toasty above 850. I'd be worried with some pellets mixing in, if the big lift does not happen. At least aloft we have lift in the DGZ...but gosh that is close.

I should be pretty resistant to the mid level warmth this far north.....we'll see what happens.

4 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Yeah hopefully that's the warmest it gets. 

You can see how it gets resistance in Eastern areas too...KBED is still completely below freezing in the sounding  by the time we reach 06z while ORH is pinging. Even BOS still has the max elevated warm layer at 0C by 06z. Meanwhile it's like 2C out toward BAF. 

1 hour ago, Whineminster said:

Well....that's why we'll get 3" instead of 6".  The ice card has been underplayed quite a bit I think. We tend to get our most damaging ice storms early in the winter season.  

Cold enough to cause glazing, but not cold enough to accumulate snow. Yeah OK....explain the "thermodynamics" of that one.

My ground was completely frozen already this morning with a temp of 21F. It doesn't take much to freeze the top 1" of ground. Even at 6" deep my soil temp is 39F.

Warm ground can be a problem in October, with already wet ground, marginal temps, or weak rates toward the spring equinox with enough solar radiation sneaking through the relatively thinner overcast. Enjoy the accums.

1 minute ago, dendrite said:

Cold enough to cause glazing, but not cold enough to accumulate snow. Yeah OK....explain the "thermodynamics" of that one.

My ground was completely frozen already this morning with a temp of 21F. It doesn't take much to freeze the top 1" of ground. Even at 6" deep my soil temp is 39F.

Warm ground can be a problem in October, with already wet ground, marginal temps, or weak rates toward the spring equinox with enough solar radiation sneaking through the relatively thinner overcast. Enjoy the accums.

This warm ground convo is like discussing flat versus round earth in 2018.

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1