Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Nov 15/16 regionwide event

RUNNAWAYICEBERG

30 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

That looks like some sort of ice signal here.

Don't think icing will be that prolonged. Def could occur for a few hours, but I'm thinking mostly transition ice. Maybe far interior elevated valleys in N MA and SW NH see a bit more? Though once that far north, could be sleet. 

18 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Don't think icing will be that prolonged. Def could occur for a few hours, but I'm thinking mostly transition ice. Maybe far interior elevated valleys in N MA and SW NH see a bit more? Though once that far north, could be sleet. 

I know...I don't expect an ice storm.

Slightly worried about this one in that the initial LP gets captured and tucked to Atlantic City. And in doing so the best WAA doesn't make it into SNE. For example, check the 6-hr QPF at hours 66 v 72. Long Island and the south coast get upwards of 0.75" of liquid between 60-66, while SNE is significantly less (half) between 66-72.

By worried I mean: we see hours of light snows and drizzle that barely accumulate instead of hours of accumulating snows.

However, I'm very curious to see what happens as the system goes out underneath us (or over the Cape) Friday afternoon. I mean look at this thing.

gfs_z700_vort_neus_14.png

9 minutes ago, Chrisrotary12 said:

Slightly worried about this one in that the initial LP gets captured and tucked to Atlantic City. And in doing so the best WAA doesn't make it into SNE. For example, check the 6-hr QPF at hours 66 v 72. Long Island and the south coast get upwards of 0.75" of liquid between 60-66, while SNE is significantly less (half) between 66-72.

By worried I mean: we see hours of light snows and drizzle that barely accumulate instead of hours of accumulating snows.

However, I'm very curious to see what happens as the system goes out underneath us (or over the Cape) Friday afternoon. I mean look at this thing.

gfs_z700_vort_neus_14.png

Ya it seems to me that we see a few of our blown forecasts on ignoring indications of a mediciore thump in the initial WAA, especially when most sne accums would depend on that. Could go either way still but the point is it’s a flag that seems to be brushed off like it takes the fun of an event away to mention it . I would agree there is potential around and just outside 495 for part 2

I don't see an issue with the WAA thump in SNE unless you are expecting 6+. If you are, on a marginal setup in mid-November still over 48 hours out, then you prob need to be weenietagged  

Even just a steady 3/4 vis light snow for several hours will put down 2" in this airmass off the coast. 

If we get inside of 36 hours and the guidance trends toward a huge omega bomb for SNE, then we can start expecting low end warning amounts in spots. 

5 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Really , well then thank you. That’s crucial info imo

Yeah I think it's going to be below freezing outside of 128 for a while early on...prob even upper 20s. It's darn cold. I mean, were talking -6 to -7 at 900mb and -5 at 950. That's cold stuff. This isn't an isothermal slop event...but we do have to worry about some pinging getting in earlier because of 800mb...but our lower levels are golden for the first 6-8 hours. 

E coast of MA will have BL issues but we've been saying that for a while. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah I think it's going to be below freezing outside of 128 for a while early on...prob even upper 20s. It's darn cold. I mean, were talking -6 to -7 at 900mb and -5 at 950. That's cold stuff. This isn't an isothermal slop event...but we do have to worry about some pinging getting in earlier because of 800mb...but our lower levels are golden for the first 6-8 hours. 

E coast of MA will have BL issues but we've been saying that for a while. 

Yeah it's an ice box just inland. Even on the coast, if you can get a few miles inland, the flow is light enough where it could be 32-33 snow for a time. The flow is E-ESE so places like TAN could get it on it. It's not a stout, killer onshore flow until dawn. That's usually my experience. If the flow is light enough, you'll start out as snow. 

2 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Yeah it's an ice box just inland. Even on the coast, if you can get a few miles inland, the flow is light enough where it could be 32-33 snow for a time. The flow is E-ESE so places like TAN could get it on it. It's not a stout, killer onshore flow until dawn. That's usually my experience. If the flow is light enough, you'll start out as snow. 

Yeah before onshore flow really gets going, I def think BOS and other places on the coast will be 32-33F and steady snow. Somewhere like Jerry could be 30-31 for a few hours at the onset while Logan is jumping to 34 and slop after a couple hours. 

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah before onshore flow really gets going, I def think BOS and other places on the coast will be 32-33F and steady snow. Somewhere like Jerry could be 30-31 for a few hours at the onset while Logan is jumping to 34 and slop after a couple hours. 

Are we the usual 27-28 degree dry powder?

5 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I had to say it lol. Enjoy it..pretty sick start to season.

But seriously, that conversation has been had today.  Walking around the base area with a dense 8-10" on the ground and big snowbanks from the wet snow... a few coworkers were like man, you know how many times we'd die for this in January when we are getting Arctic flurries while NYC and Boston get a blizzard... when all we want is a good shot of QPF snow to resurface the slopes.