Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
Nov 15/16 regionwide event

RUNNAWAYICEBERG

3 minutes ago, Modfan said:

Does that lean towards and icing/IP problem say S ORH hills/Union north?

I don't think this will be a big ice producer. Maybe something like 2-3 hours of ZR after the snow and sleet. High is drifting east so the clock is ticking pretty quick...it will go to 33-34 rain after a couple hours I think. Though a good chunk of the qpf might already be done. The heaviest stuff could be the first 3-6 hours. 

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

I don't think this will be a big ice producer. Maybe something like 2-3 hours of ZR after the snow and sleet. High is drifting east so the clock is ticking pretty quick...it will go to 33-34 rain after a couple hours I think. Though a good chunk of the qpf might already be done. The heaviest stuff could be the first 3-6 hours. 

I could see an extended period of freezing drizzle here in the valley as we rot with in situ CAD

1 minute ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

50/50 shot of 3"+, and 80% shot of an inch or more....we take.

Fits my initial hunch of a 2-5", followed by drizzle drizzle deal..

That's what I am thinking for my hood as well.    Nice little event to start things off for SNE.  Fun to track and glaze eyes over weather models.

I do miss the weather.us stuff though

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

That's enough to knock out 500k.  Gas up the generators!

6 minutes ago, CT Rain said:

I think the EPS probabilities for 1, 3, and 6"+ of snow are pretty reasonable. 

eps_snow24_6_neng_16.png

eps_snow24_3_neng_16.png

eps_snow24_1_neng_16.png

Ryan--do you have panels of that beyond 18z?

• Haha 1

deeper layers in coastals don't really promote alot of icing 'cept for rare scenarios.  you get more of an isothermal structure below the growth area of the sounding ...which is why it tends to focus into snow to 'chutes to big cold rain drops along tighter axis... 

Also, with the high retreating east, there's likely to be some penetration west of contamination/CF... I wonder if we can correct the high to a slower depart?  heh... don't get greedy -

As many here have confirmed, I don't see any type of miracle happening here near the coast. Should be toast, and I'm skeptical on measurable. Would consider a half inch a win if you're on immediate coastal plain. I'd think 1-3" inside 495. A general 3-6" outside 495. Perhaps 4-8" for higher elevations of SNE. You have onshore winds and discouraging mid level wind direction despite colder air in place. Wouldn't be surprised if this ends up being a warmer event tucked closer to LI, leaving most outside of higher elevations with lower totals. We need to keep an eye on how this trends in the next day or two.

2 minutes ago, sbos_wx said:

As many here have confirmed, I don't see any type of miracle happening here near the coast. Should be toast, and I'm skeptical on measurable. Would consider a half inch a win if you're on immediate coastal plain. I'd think 1-3" inside 495. A general 3-6" outside 495. Perhaps 4-8" for higher elevations of SNE. You have onshore winds and discouraging mid level wind direction despite colder air in place. Wouldn't be surprised if this ends up being a warmer event tucked closer to LI, leaving most outside of higher elevations with lower totals. We need to keep an eye on how this trends in the next day or two.

The high up north has been trending further south and anchoring  longer.

31 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Clown range RGEM looks similar to the GGEM. It has a good thump for SNE and then a weenie midlevel band for N VT into N ME. The thump is prob not quite as aggressive as the GGEM but these are details that are meaningless at this point. 

It really seems textbook early season. But somewhere down in CT could see a nice surprise. A true north and west of the city elevation event with nuisance snows otherwise.

Just now, sbos_wx said:

It really seems textbook early season. But somewhere down in CT could see a nice surprise. A true north and west of the city elevation event with nuisance snows otherwise.

I don't think elevation will matter that much once away from immediate coast.  It's pretty damned cold in the low levels. 

5 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I don't think elevation will matter that much once away from immediate coast.  It's pretty damned cold in the low levels. 

3 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Yeah elevation won’t matter.   It’s a matter of getting away from marine influence. 

Seems like mid level temps are better for snowgrowth further north and west and into the elevations too? THat's more or less what I meant to say, didn't come across like that.

1 hour ago, sbos_wx said:

I mean is it Mid November and we have a retreating high , starting in a good position but moving out.

It’s a fascinating system and I’m not gonna guess how it will play out but my Initial hunch is we in sne are gonna need a nice thumping to produce some front end snows for the interior coastal plain or we bust any amounts forecast