• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
November 15 Snow/Ice Chance

showmethesnow

Without being a weenie, I’d say to ignore the Canadian (look how far northwest the track is compared to the rest) and weight the GFS thermal profile low relative to the euro and 3k nam.  This is an interesting test for the FV3. It’s been colder than the op GFS on this storm so far. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Without being a weenie, I’d say to ignore the Canadian (look how far northwest the track is compared to the rest) and weight the GFS thermal profile low relative to the euro and 3k nam.  This is an interesting test for the FV3. It’s been colder than the op GFS on this storm so far. 

I think this storm will be a great test as well for the FV3... its snow/sleet algorithm on TT really needs to be fixed though.

Per Wes:

Jason will be writing today's article on the coming storm. I'll be providing a quote. This is still a tricky forecast as cold air damming can be tenacious but recently the NAM has been running a tad cold. Look to the HRRR and high resolution NAM forecasts of surface temps they should be better than those of the GFS. Looks like mostly rain for DC and places east and south as strong southeasterly winds at 850 mb help shove a warm layer through the region. Yes DC might see a brief period of sleet with maybe a few flakes mixed in at onset but with no real accumulations to impact the commute. North and west of the city slick roads could develop especially as you get into Montgomery county and western Fairfax county. I'll post Jason's Capital Weather Gang article when it comes out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, yoda said:

lulz... even 1/4 of this would be acceptable

fv3p_asnow_neus_11.png

LOL, I don't even see how that's possible based on just the precip panels. It only possibly snows/sleets in Baltimore, for example, for a max of six hours and probably much less than that, yet it shows 9 inches. But yes, 1/4 of that would be pretty historic and quite exciting.

2 minutes ago, osfan24 said:

LOL, I don't even see how that's possible based on just the precip panels. It only possibly snows/sleets in Baltimore, for example, for a max of six hours and probably much less than that, yet it shows 9 inches. But yes, 1/4 of that would be pretty historic and quite exciting.

The precip type is computed off of the thermodynamic profiles;   the water equivalent of snow (+sleet) is from the model microphysics.    That's how that can differ.   And this is clearly a case when the 10:1 ratios won't come close to working.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, high risk said:

The precip type is computed off of the thermodynamic profiles;   the water equivalent of snow (+sleet) is from the model microphysics.    That's how that can differ.   And this is clearly a case when the 10:1 ratios won't come close to working.

Thanks, did not know that's the way that's computed on the model. I was just looking at the precip panels and seeing how little time it was potentially snowing or sleeting over us and didn't see how it could possibly add up to that, but that makes sense. And obviously the 10:1 ratio throws it off as well.

16 hours ago, mattie g said:

My breakdown for Burke:

>2”: 0%

1-2”: 1%

0.5-1”: 10%

0.1-0.49”: 40%

T: 48%

0”: 1%

And I don’t really care because it’ll be November 15 when this happens. If this were early December and the same apparent outcome were to happen I’d probably be a little more miffed, but I’m more interested to see storm after storm heading up the coast with plenty of cold air around.

No updates to this IMBY forecast. May the rest of you fare as well as I do.

• Haha 1

Just now, showmethesnow said:

Left this morning expecting to come back to a model disco. Instead it looks like it was more a therapy session then anything else for the last 4 hours. :lol:

you should sit in on one of my therapy sessions, i assure you, this is nothing compared to that. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, showmethesnow said:

Left this morning expecting to come back to a model disco. Instead it looks like it was more a therapy session then anything else for the last 4 hours. :lol:

The kings about to pass his sentence. Then we’ll be set one way or another.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

The kings about to pass his sentence. Then we’ll be set one way or another.

Whether we score or not I am just happy to see how these systems are evolving. Good omen for just down the road. Besides I have a feeling in the next couple/few days we will have a system or two to track for shortly after Thanksgiving. Would definitely ease the pain for some in here.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, showmethesnow said:

Whether we score or not I am just happy to see how these systems are evolving. Good omen for just down the road. Besides I have a feeling in the next couple/few days we will have a system or two to track for shortly after Thanksgiving. Would definitely ease the pain for some in here.

If folks are already in pain on 11/14, someone needs to move Mr. Grim Reaper to #1 on speed dial. :lol:

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, mappy said:

sure is. however, its not until between 18z and 00z that most places go above 0 at 850. hell, per Euro I am still at 0° at 00z

Per weather.us, euro is still clearly the best for all of us. Starts as snow for everyone and several hours for from MBY and points north. I’d happily take it. Hope it’s right.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, WxUSAF said:

Per weather.us, euro is still clearly the best for all of us. Starts as snow for everyone and several hours for from MBY and points north. I’d happily take it. Hope it’s right.

I don't like the euro being by itself with the coldest solution. Would go a long ways if the 18-0z suites tick colder in the mids. If they don't then it has the feel that the euro is too cold imo

• Sad 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic