Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
November 15 Snow/Ice Chance

showmethesnow

8 minutes ago, SnowGolfBro said:

Any frozen from this storm is a total bonus. We are still 3 weeks from prime snow season. If we fail in December i will start getting nervous.

December would be too early to get nervous, imo...it's not what we put in the "prime climo" category (save that title for late January onward). Not saying we can't score in December with the right setup...just saying that even some of our best winters (aside from 2009/10 when December was just on steroids) haven't had a lot of shovel-worthy December snow. Again...perhaps this December we get somethig; but if not...it's nowhere near the end of prime climo, lol

I really have a hard time accepting the GFS having most of the DC and Baltimore metro areas in the mid 30s tomorrow at 12z.     I think we've seen plenty of winter precipitation cases in which the GFS has failed to properly model evaporative cooling and then eroded low-level cold air too quickly.    While the NAMs can hold on to low-level cold air a little too long, their track record in this kind of setup is superior.      I'm not calling for an OMG snow here in the I-95 corridor, but a few hours of snow and then sleet (and perhaps a longer period for the next tier of counties north and west) is still very much on the table, IMO.

• Like 9

7 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

December would be too early to get nervous, imo...it's not what we put in the "prime climo" category (save that title for late January onward). Not saying we can't score in December with the right setup...just saying that even some of our best winters (aside from 2009/10 when December was just on steroids) haven't had a lot of shovel-worthy December snow. Again...perhaps this December we get somethig; but if not...it's nowhere near the end of prime climo, lol

I agree. Just pointing out that we are not wasting a winter month in November.  I’ve always viewed The Prime snow window for DC as Christmas to Presidents’ Day. We can and have scored outside that window but the odds go way down IMO

6 minutes ago, osfan24 said:

Ha, the emotional swings from model run to model run on here and it's only a pitty little winter event in mid-November! Can you imagine if we get to late January with very little snow to date?

are you new here? 

• Like 1

Just now, NorthArlington101 said:

Ferrier and total snow depth are about as good as they’ve looked, just pushed west a bit.

If you want a good map for you, look at the ICON.

i'm not that worried, but thanks. its gonna do what its gonna do. 

Just now, mappy said:

i agree, it is sad. as your map includes a lot of ****ing sleet, while the map i posted was snow only. enjoy your sleet!

its Nov 14...it should be 60....sleet is fine in November. I Hope you have a really hard time shoveling it

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

12k looked amazing. Unfortunately it's not nearly as reliable as 3k, and that seemed pretty sleety to rain with very little snow.

I do agree with the poster that said the Ferrier and Snow Depth maps also aren't very reliable. They are probably closer to reality in these setups than the 10:1 maps, but they are usually pretty underdone in my experience.

Just now, WxWatcher007 said:

Yeah, I was looking at the TT map. I think each vendor has it's own algorithm for snow accumulation. 

I'm hoping to not use those this season. They've gotten out of control at this point. 

yeah, i hear you. people just need to realize that most snow maps include sleet as snow. which is highly misleading in this case. poor ji. 

• Like 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic